Denon USB Turntable

sunnykris

Friends,

Purchased the Denon USB 200 Turntable sometime back.
Had a lot of LPs to convert but didnt have the time to copy from my Kenwood to my computer and monitor.

I am nowhere near you guys in expertise or knowledge regarding this.

Would like your opinions on this and also any advice.

Thank you

Sunny

bro if you wanna listen to ur LP on MP3 then why bother with so much efforts. simply go and get MP3 (i am sure you know plenty sources) cause even after the conversion you will not get the sound effect like LPs.

and incase if you are still inclined to listen to MP3s of your LPs then once you finish conversion then you can sell the LPs to me :D or i can do the conversion for you in lieu of some LPs :D

Hi Sunny,

Audacity is a good software for handling the output from your tt. You can remove ticks and pops, split into tracks and save in low or high file quality formats. Depending on where you're planning to listen I'd suggest making one set of original wav file formats then converting to lower mp3 or preferably apple lossless if you have an iPod.

Great way to get vinyl sound on the go.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I used to convert LP's onto cd's using Sound Forge, now I dont have the time but a few people want their records converted (ready to pay), if anyone's available pm me

SunnyKris, you want a solution to your time problem or is there a technical problem? In teh case of the latter, another solution is to take the analog out into a simple ADC like the iMic, and plug the iMIc into a windows XP laptop. an external ADC will do the job better than a built in converter. Audacity can of course, pull in in to the appropriate file format.

Wanted your opinions as to is there a vast difference between recording into my audio card and recording directly into a pen drive on the Denon.

The previous ones recorded from Kenwood onto my comp sound cleaner (crisp) and fuller than the present ones thru Denon USB (slightly dull).
Is it me or is there a difference how the Denon converts ?
Or is it the difference between Kenwood and Denon ?
The Kenwood Cartridge has been used well whereas the Denon one is almost new.

One thing is for sure, the USB saves me alot of time.

In both the cases I use Wavelab to remove the crackle etc.

@denzong: I like the sound of vinyl so thats why. Agreed it loses some on conversion to digital but yet the sound is still far superior to CD.
Sell the LPs ? I collect and listen to Hindi film music. If I have any dupes, you can have them as it is, no problem.
Having you or somebody else convert would be good as long as the price would be right and in Bombay itself.

Wanted your opinions as to is there a vast difference between recording into my audio card and recording directly into a pen drive on the Denon.

The previous ones recorded from Kenwood onto my comp sound cleaner (crisp) and fuller than the present ones thru Denon USB (slightly dull).
Is it me or is there a difference how the Denon converts ?
Or is it the difference between Kenwood and Denon ?
The Kenwood Cartridge has been used well whereas the Denon one is almost new.

One thing is for sure, the USB saves me alot of time.

In both the cases I use Wavelab to remove the crackle etc.

@denzong: I like the sound of vinyl so thats why. Agreed it loses some on conversion to digital but yet the sound is still far superior to CD.
Sell the LPs ? I collect and listen to Hindi film music. If I have any dupes, you can have them as it is, no problem.
Having you or somebody else convert would be good as long as the price would be right and in Bombay itself.

who cares about the price. i shall do it free but will do it without any time commitments but you shall have it.
just sell some discs which u do not listen (cause i know it would be quality stuff :D)

To get the sound from vinyl to hard disk, there are two things to be considered: RIAA equalisation, and digitising.

The sound on vinyl is pretty distorted, and purposely so. the phono preamp not only brings the tiny signal from a cartridge up to line level, but it also applies an equalisation curve that makes the vinyl sound natural again.

I see that the phono pre-amp on your Denon is switchable. This gives you the choice of using a different pre-amp (if you find it to be better) ---or of even doing the equalisation in software! Yes: this is possible. Audacity has a preset curve for it, and I have used it for several albums and found it very acceptable. The only thing you can do is try, and see if you like the results. I did several tries, and, ultimately, put up two tracks in Audacity: one of which had been converted by an external pre-amp, and one had been converted by Audicity itself. I got them more-or-less synced, and was able to easily compare by alternately solo-ing one or the other. Audacity had done the better job!

MP3, or other lossy compressed formats, is for your pocket, not for your hifi or your archives. You are going to put the same amount of time into recording and editing, so please save (at least an archive copy) as WAV or FLAC. As your Denon doesn't seem to save in any other digital format but MP3, it isn't worth asking the other question, which would be, which is the best ADC: in your TT or on your soundcard?

Hi,

Instead of USB out in TT, try using the Line-out (of an Integrated Amp with Phono input) fed to a Soundcard on the PC. Use good quality magnetic Cartridge like AT-91, 95E or Shure M97xE (Shure is best out of the 3). For software, though Audacity is definitely good, some easy to use software like Audio-Technica's "Spin it again" or Professional software like Sound-Forge give excellent results. The "Click & Crackle removal" utility and normalizing functions of the latter are a breeze to use with good results.

And it is always better to use a dedicated soundcard in your PC than an Onboard sound. Another thing worth mentioning is to sample the sound as wav files at 96khz,24-bit, edit the files and finally convert to 44.1khz, 24/16-bit as this preserves the sound quality.

I have converted a lot of LPs, and able to achieve a nearly analog sound and found the above from my experience. You may write the wavs to CDDA format for use in home and another set as MP3s for playing in the car or with your ipod. Preserve the wavs in your hard-disk for later use or as back-up.

Just my 2 cents.

N.Murali

Last edited:
I think you speak from considerable experience, and have posted some very useful advice on this subject in the past.

My amp has a phono input. It would, almost certainly, be the best way to provide the pre-amp functions, but it is not near my PC (I am lazy about disconnecting/reconnecting, and nervous about running the amp with no speakers attached). Functions, yes: I forgot to mention that, as well as doing the RIAA correction, the signal has to be considerably boosted

My favourite editor is Cool Edit Pro 2 I have to confess that I scrounged my copy, many years ago. Many times I have wished that I had bought a copy: I certainly owe them! However, I am not interested in Adobe's updated version of the product.

CEP lacks the preset RIAA curve. I should have a go at setting one up. Otherwise, CEP's noise and crackle removal is very superior. It works in Wine too, except, for a while, I forgot about the one file that has to be deleted to prevent it hanging on startup.

Thank you friends for your advice and suggestions.

Some LPs I am going to record thru the Kenwood into my computer and the others would be recorded thru the Denon directly into Mp3.
Recording from the Denon into my comp beats the very purpose of buying it.

I will get a good Audio Card instead of using the Onboard sound of the comp and save them as Wav and not Mp3.

Thanx again Guys. :)

Hi sunnykris,
The denon TT sounds interesting in review that i read. From your post it looks like you primarily got it to digitalize your LP collection. Would like to know how did you find the TT performance wise and in comparison to any other TT you may have used before. The TT is so well priced that i am sure many vinyl beginners will consider it as afirst step.

Abhijit,

That is correct. I wanted to convert my LP collection for convenience and backup.
I have a Kenwood (which I love and still use) and it is definitely better than the Denon
in that the sound is more crisp and fuller.

Where mechanics are concerned the Denon is just like any other good TT.
In fact the look is the same as the Kenwood, even the buttons are in the same place. :)
Except for the record button and the USB slot.

The Denon scores highly for convenience.
I have already converted over 100s of LPs with this excellent TT.
Another point is that you dont need a preamp to listen to your records.
It has a switch for that - sound or preamp output.

For only listening and not converting, I would suggest other TTs.
If you want to convert also then this would be very good.

In case you would like to see or hear before deciding, you are welcome to come over and check it out.

Sunny

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back