denon vs harmon kardon

Amateur_Audiophile

Hi,

after using denon 1602, i just bought Harman Kardon 254.
thought of sharing my experience, those who love warm and rich sound , stick to Denon as HK is quite soft and smooth.
look wise, certainly HK looks much better. also dont go by their power rating, HK 50W is much more than others 100W.
I m using with polk audio speakers.

yes, HK 50w is same as other(DENON) 90/100W.
i thought of upgrading and then decided to buy HK.
value for money is the reason going with HK.

i have a denon avr 1908, the reciever died on me so sent it for repairs, luckly have a offical piece,i m interested in the HK avr255 but is only 50w X7, i got front tower speakers(jamo s606) they are ard 130w @8 ohms & book shelfs, dunno if HK 50w will be enough, might go for the avr355 instead,
wat ur'll guys think..

Used the HK 247 for a while. Found it underwhelming especially for music and loud action sequences. It did not have the harshness found in Yamaha, Onkyo that's so essential in action sequences where you have to hear metal clanging against metal and other such sounds.

Try to audition the new Yamaha range. They are very good.

HK is known for their musicality and their ratings are very conservative. So 50 wpc should be able to drive a lot of efficient speakers very easily and it can get loud too.

Lots of people have complained about issues with these AVRs. However they are invariably related to HDMI handshaking which many vendors did not get right for a very long time. My one hit against HK is that they promised the fix lot more times and even their latest firmware update did not fix the audio dropouts over HDMI when connecting with PS3s.

So if you are not hooking up PS3 to it and are OK with audio over optical/digital then its an excellent AVR albeit a bit laid back (so you need forward speakers mainly from North America).

Denons and the new Yamahas are also great AVRs and handle the new audio formats very well.

the firmware is out for the droputs, its been a month since its out, i have read abt these issues on internation av forums, my denon avr let me down no way goin for a denon again:mad:
thanks for the help guys..

Hi,

thought of sharing my experience, those who love warm and rich sound , stick to Denon as HK is quite soft and smooth.
look wise, certainly HK looks much better. also dont go by their power rating, HK 50W is much more than others 100W.
:clapping:yes u are absolutely right.i am having the same setup. an old hk65 and polk tsi500.

hk should drive polks/ jamos with ease. I have demoed a year back - and it sounded ok. I am not an audiophile so can't give detailed feedback but power wise it should be ok.

Hi,

Hi Amateur Audiophile.
Thanks for this post since one doesnt see threads on HK too often. I did read very good things about HK254. Is it good for music as well compared to denon? Can you give some pointers?
Vaibhav

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back