Denon X2100 AVR restarting continuously

Comskian

Hi all,

I wanted to share a strange issue I am experiencing with my Denon X2100 avr. I would like to know if anyone else have experienced something similar and if the experts can shed some light into this. (I hope I am not wrong in starting a new thread)

Symptoms:
- The avr will restart continuously whenever I switch it on, within 5 seconds after sound comes through the speakers. This will continue until I power it off using remote.
- The reset happens in such a way that the red light comes on momentarily and immediately it starts blinking green with a loud 'click' noise (restarting). This does not look like overheating or protection circuit activating as described in the troubleshooting section in Denon online manual.
- If I shut it off completely and replug after a few seconds, sometimes it will work fine for a while, before showing the symptoms again in an hour or less.
- The restart can be anticipated if there is a 'click' sound during start up (green light blinking) which is not normal.
- I have removed all the cables except the power cable and still the issue persisted, though after a couple of cold starts it was working.
- This problem started occurring on rare occasions 2 months back, and frequently since last 3-4 weeks when I have plugged in the AVR along with airtel HD box and 22" samsung TV into a belkin surge protector, plugged into a 6 amp point (As per the maths, the total current draw must be less than 6 amp in this setup).
- The avr was also heated up much though it did not seem like restart due to overheat as per the explanation in the manual.

I have done a fair bit of research in various online forums including here and seems to be able to control the issue temporarily. The following are the steps I have tried so far:
1. Checked all speaker wires for continuity using a multimeter - no issues.
2. Measured the resistance of all the speakers using multimeter. I have Boston Acoustics A26 front and A225C center channel which are all rated at 8 ohms. My measurements indicated 7.8 ohm for A225C and 4.6 ohm for A26 which I found confusing. Ain't A26 supposed to show 6-8 ohms if it is having 8 ohm impedance?
3. I had a 16 year old locally made(?) speaker pair (part of a stereo system labelled "T-series") which measured 4.3 ohms in multimeter. I disconnected them although the avr was working fine till now with those connected.
4. I cannot remember if the issue occurred when the AVR had a dedicated 6 amp plug point. Anyway I have now provided a dedicated plug point again and except in one odd occasion, i am not seeing this issue.
5. As an additional precaution, I have set the avr to 6 ohm speaker setting yesterday and also reduced the airtel box volume under user settings (to reduce input load?).

As per my observations, steps 3 and 4 along with reducing airtel box volume settings seem to have helped (also reduced laptop output volume when connected as a source). There are no voltage fluctuations generally in my area, and I use home inverter with regulated mode. There is additionally a GM powerstrip and Sollatek voltage guard always between the mains and my AVR. I have started with 4 speakers and added A225C 4-5 months back. All I can think is somehow the amp load increased when i plugged all the devices into power strip and it started restarting, though cant imagine how this could happen with a 500W AVR!

Sorry for the long thread, but hope someone can shed some light here. I am also curious as to the resistance readings from the BA A26 speakers mentioned above. There were a couple of occasions where audyssey stated that FL is out of phase though this was not the case.

Anyone else facing similar issue can share it here, especially X2100 owners since I could not find much online information on this relatively new device.

I some time face similar issue with my AVR when voltage drops blow 180v even though it is connected to a vGuard Digi 200 Stabilizer which seems to be not able to handle low voltages.

Measure the voltage when you are having the problem, it could be the reason of continuous restart.

I some time face similar issue with my AVR when voltage drops blow 180v even though it is connected to a vGuard Digi 200 Stabilizer which seems to be not able to handle low voltages.

Measure the voltage when you are having the problem, it could be the reason of continuous restart.

Thanks for the suggestion owes. I will do it the next time if I face an issue.

I have this problem which I had discussed in a thread. Switch off the avr, open the enclosure and at the top you will see the hdmi board. Remove all the cables (especially the one coming from the power supply unit) connected to the board and reconnect. The avr will start functioning normally for a few days.

This can also happen if the voltage is very low as suggested above.

the best for any ht to have a stablizer that is vertex stabilizer that is ment for only ht theater that has a torrentto transformer which ll handle power from 170 to 270 and gives u a constant power of 230 v plus or minus 1% i recommend you use the vertex stabilizer. i had the same issue with my paradigm sub it requires 230v accurately so i had a talk with many plp and i found the best stabilizer for my ht setup you can also use it. thank you
for more details on it contact me on this email id [email protected]

Thanks for suggestions guys. For time being the AVR is running fine. I will open it up if I experience it again.

Hi all !

I have exactly the same problem as described.
It's a denon X2100W with 2 cabasse nef in front and a cabasse bisquine in center.

I have this problem which I had discussed in a thread. Switch off the avr, open the enclosure and at the top you will see the hdmi board. Remove all the cables (especially the one coming from the power supply unit) connected to the board and reconnect. The avr will start functioning normally for a few days.

This trick worked for me, but could you explain me why ?
Does the hdmi board have wrong values ?

Sorry for this bad english, i'm french ^^

I am facing a similar problem with my Marantz 5008. There was a power surge about two months back which fried the power module of the AVR. After I got it repaired from Marantz service center I put in a belkin spike guard. The AVR seems to have become hyper sensitive to any spikes.

Even opening and closing the refrigerator door switches off the HDMI output for a movement. The sound output from speakers continue.

Could it be the HDMI board issue that you mentioned above?

Hi,

These AVR models are quite sensitive and hence need to be plugged into separate dedicated power outlets via stabilizers...the circuitary in these avrs are delicate and yes expensive...

Did the issue reappear again? i have exactly the same issue. In my case the receiver restarts itself as soon as i connect my HDMI out to TV or connect Speaker. I have also tried the solution of reconnecting the HDMI board but to no avail.

Any suggestion guys. Also is there any good reliable Denon repair centers in Mumbai

This type of issue happens due to two common causes.
One with powersupply board issue or main cpu/processor.
If any capacitor in psu is malfunctioning,it can shut down randomly.
If processor is not outputing low signals,yhen also it can shutdown.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back