Denon X3700H prompting firmware update. Risk it or not?

My only concern is that, if an update fails, there should be a way to rollback the update and get the receiver working again. If the update fails and is required to be taken to a service center, then there is something seriously wrong with the programmers at Denon and Marantz.
I'll be excited to see if they implement protection features like 'Roll-back on Failure' as motherboard vendors do. In one of the other forums, I read that the manufacturers provide the more prominent service centers with a low-level burner to restore the boot loader if something goes wrong during the firmware upgrade. But I believe they are reluctant to do it in this part of the world since replacing the board is where real $ lies.

Wifi may have more interference especially with walls and literally half the speed as seen with Jio.
During an OTA upgrade, the firmware is first downloaded locally (hash verified) before being flashed to the EEPROM. So, I believe Wi-Fi may not be the real culprit here.

During an OTA upgrade, the firmware is first downloaded locally (hash verified) before being flashed to the EEPROM. So, I believe Wi-Fi may not be the real culprit here.
I too had the same thought. Because every OTA update, regardless of the component, always gives you a warning not to power off the system during the update/ flashing process. No mention of a stable Internet connection.

True, wifi may not be the real culprit. I did my last update over the wifi. But ideally the connection should be stable. The Marantz center also recommended not to do over wifi and take the file on the pen drive which I followed for 2 updates.
But point is Marantz engineers should have had a roll back feature during an abrupt update failure rather than having a hung receiver.
Wired Ethernet is the best option.

On my Sony TV, the wired connection is limited to 100 Mbps by the TV network card. Wireless on the TV goes to 226 Mbps in 5 Ghz Band. I am currently connected to the TV via Wi-Fi.
SSF, that's a very good wifi speed as long as it confirms with the internet plan.

SSF, that's a very good wifi speed as long as it confirms with the internet plan.
Hi Nitin, I have a 200 Mbps BSNL plan. One of the few times that a wireless connection will be faster than a wired connection limited by the network card.

You could be right but where would they download the firmware to ? If they had a temp storage location, the location could also be used to store backup firmware in the event of a failed flash to the EEPROM.

You could be right but where would they download the firmware to ? If they had a temp storage location, the location could also be used to store backup firmware in the event of a failed flash to the EEPROM.
Considering the small flash memory they ship, I am afraid they don't have a temp local storage. All I can think of is they are chunking the firmware into small segments and loading it to RAM before flashing. The flashing process can be timed out, thus corrupting the EEPROM if they don't receive the parts in time.

Hi Nitin, I have a 200 Mbps BSNL plan. One of the few times that a wireless connection will be faster than a wired connection limited by the network card.
Hi Ssf, that's really good then. Indeed a rare occurrence :)

Can you please tell us what went wrong. How did you go about your update ? TIA

Am quite curious about this as I don't really expect engineers of Denon and Marantz to goof up this badly. Unless, they have been recruiting Microsoft engineers of late.
I have already made a thread on this.

OP here. Thanks for all the advice! However, my itch never went away and last night I let my heart rule over my brain and proceeded with firmware update.
Surprisingly there were 2 consecutive updates. First one only went on for less than 2 mins, but the second one was a biggie. Took around 3 mins of download and then update went on for another heart-pounding 5 mins or so.
Risk was greater for me because there had been a power-cut earlier at night. Fortunately everything went smooth and I did not notice any problem afterwards.
I know that there were supposed to be no observable improvements through these updates, but for some reason I get a warm happy feeling inside when all my hardware has latest drivers and updates.

On my Sony TV, the wired connection is limited to 100 Mbps by the TV network card. Wireless on the TV goes to 226 Mbps in 5 Ghz Band. I am currently connected to the TV via Wi-Fi.
With ethernet you will get full 100 Mbps. With wifi 226 Mbps is the max you will get provided there is no other device other than the tv connected to the wifi router. You can easily check the network speed on the wifi.

Connect your laptop to the wifi network. Transfer a file of say around 1Gb to another box on the same network using scp or sftp. The speed at which the file gets transfered will be displayed in bytes per second. Multiply that by 8 to get bits per second. You can get surprised to see it below 60 Mbps.

With ethernet I always get the full transfer rate of the ethernet. When I rip my CDs, I always use the ethernet to transfer and consistently the files get transfered in seconds instead of minutes using wifi

With ethernet you will get full 100 Mbps. With wifi 226 Mbps is the max you will get provided there is no other device other than the tv connected to the wifi router. You can easily check the network speed on the wifi.

Connect your laptop to the wifi network. Transfer a file of say around 1Gb to another box on the same network using scp or sftp. The speed at which the file gets transfered will be displayed in bytes per second. Multiply that by 8 to get bits per second. You can get surprised to see it below 60 Mbps.

With ethernet I always get the full transfer rate of the ethernet. When I rip my CDs, I always use the ethernet to transfer and consistently the files get transfered in seconds instead of minutes using wifi
Did you try that file transfer on Wi-fi 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz ? My slightly old laptop has only 2.4 Ghz and the speeds hardly go over 60 Mbps.

OP here. Thanks for all the advice! However, my itch never went away and last night I let my heart rule over my brain and proceeded with firmware update.
Surprisingly there were 2 consecutive updates. First one only went on for less than 2 mins, but the second one was a biggie. Took around 3 mins of download and then update went on for another heart-pounding 5 mins or so.
Risk was greater for me because there had been a power-cut earlier at night. Fortunately everything went smooth and I did not notice any problem afterwards.
I know that there were supposed to be no observable improvements through these updates, but for some reason I get a warm happy feeling inside when all my hardware has latest drivers and updates.
Glad it worked out fine for you

Did you try that file transfer on Wi-fi 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz ? My slightly old laptop has only 2.4 Ghz and the speeds hardly go over 60 Mbps.
5 Ghz from my macbook.

EDIT:
5 Ghz is far better than 2.4. It does give good speed nearing 100 Mpbs. But since I have gigabit ports on the RPI and the laptop I always use the ethernet. The way I have done is like this
1. RPI4 with 4 tb hard drive on USB3.0. It acts as NFSv4 server on the ethernet
2. All clients mount the the hard drive using NFSv4 on the ethernet interface
3. mpd runs on RPI4 listening on both the eth interface and the wifi interface, but uses the file system on the eth interface
4. All mpd clients (on android, laptop, ios devices) send mpd commands on the wifi interface.

The above scheme allows music data to travel on the gigabit network
and
mpd commands on the wifi interface. So things like artwork, playback position of song, etc are exchanged on the wifi interface and don't affect the the music data transfer.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back