Denon x3700h volume issue? getting remote to work.

xxnonamexx

Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rear that are Onkyo and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch powered subwoofer. I noticed the volume needs to go in the 50-60 to sound...normal. When I also use my verizon remote to turn on tv,remote and AVR it usually turns on all 3 but sometimes the avr doesn't go on properly. Any ideas? Someone said I needed a universal remote to get all 3 devices to work. I just dont get the volume issue. Any ideas?

What exactly problem do you have? Volume problem or AVR wake up with tv?

If you found volume problem, then go to settings and increase input source level to 5 or 7 . That will increase volume.

For AVR wake up follow below settings-

To use ARC, you must turn on HDMI control in the menu of the receiver, as well as the TV. The TV must also have the correct settings to enable audio to be output to the receiver.

To turn on HDMI control in the receiver, press the SETUP button on the remote, select VIDEO, then HDMI Setup. In that menu, you will be able to turn on HDMI Control. Once HDMI Control is turned on, the receiver will accept the ARC audio from the TV. This is literally the only thing that has to be done in the receiver's menu. This is only half of the equation, though as the TV must also be set up to output the audio to an external device and have its own HDMI control turned on. As a basic rule, if you hear the audio from the TV speakers, then the TV is not set up correctly.
Once this is set up correctly, you cannot manually select the source on the receiver. It will automatically switch to “TV Audio” when you start Netflix on the TV.

The volume problem I noticed it needs to be so high 56-60 to hear it at a low normal volume. What device under settings do I need to increase to 5 or 7?
I will check my ARC and HDMI settings and let you know

AVRs are calibrated to output 85db at reference level i.e. 0db or 80 volume scale in denon or marantz. If you have done your audessey correctly, the speaker levels would be set according to what audessey listens. The best way is to get a db meter and set source levels manually.
It's not unusual for receivers to give normal output at 50-55. (-30 - -25db)

Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rear that are Onkyo and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch powered subwoofer. I noticed the volume needs to go in the 50-60 to sound...normal. When I also use my verizon remote to turn on tv,remote and AVR it usually turns on all 3 but sometimes the avr doesn't go on properly. Any ideas? Someone said I needed a universal remote to get all 3 devices to work. I just dont get the volume issue. Any ideas?
I have the 3700 and 55-65 out 100 on the volume bar is the sweet spot for all kinds of content for a rough average of 65 dB with brief action/loud spikes to 75 dB.
I think your level is pretty much normal and par for course.

The TV speakers are set up different, and hence we might be used to watching TV with the volume bar showing 30-50 out of 100. Don't think anything is wrong with your set up.

@k-pad Do you have any issues with your Denon X3700H controlling TV, Cable, AVR. What type of TV do you have. Reason I ask is someone said I needed to have same manufacturer AVR/TV for it to work. I have the settings as mentioned above. The tv sound is not coming from tv speakers so I feel that is set up correctly. Question with this setup as mentioned above when I turn on Netflix the sound will only come out of the TV speakers? What do I need to do to allow it from the 5.1 speakers?

Audio will normally switch between TV and AVR automatically when the HDMI control setting is On. If it does not, in my Sony TV it can be manually be selected to 'Audio System' under 'Action Menu' -> 'Speakers' option.

I think your speaker levels are not adjusted to 75db. Pls adjust them with decibel meter, increase source level in AVR for tv, set subwoofer volume to 50 %, subwoofer level between-3 to -1. Surely you will get satisfaction.

I have hdm set on. The tv/avr turns off fine. When I turn tv on avr goes on but missing source comes on tv. I turn it off and on again and it works fine. Unsure why it doesn't always work turning on the first time.

@k-pad Do you have any issues with your Denon X3700H controlling TV, Cable, AVR. What type of TV do you have.
It's a Sony.
Reason I ask is someone said I needed to have same manufacturer AVR/TV for it to work.
I don't think that can be right...
I have the settings as mentioned above. The tv sound is not coming from tv speakers so I feel that is set up correctly. Question with this setup as mentioned above when I turn on Netflix the sound will only come out of the TV speakers?
Is this issue only with Netflix or every source?
What do I need to do to allow it from the 5.1 speakers?
Is your AVR powered off after use, or do you leave it on standby?
I leave it on standby, and turning the TV on, with HDMI on, that act alone powers on the AVR...

@k-pad I tested Netflix and the surround sound speakers work fine so no issue. I think the AVR is on standby the light is red and when I turn it on its white and allows the TV to go on.

While possibly the speakers maybe calibrated right through Audyssey, it is set at conservative levels, You can try to increased each speaker by +1b and see if that makes the difference.

By default, source levels are set to 0 and this can be manually adjusted upto +12. If the sources are too low, you will obviously need to climb the volume above 50-60 to get something coming out well.

I have been a Marantz user for years and content coming out from TV or Firestick or even FM radio needs a little juice up! I have increased the Source level manually to +5 or +6 for most of the sources I use. This helps to send a better boosted signal to the AVR circuitary which in turn facilitates a decent playback. Professionally in sound setups, we use GAIN to boost the signal to get optimal playback. No harm trying by increasing +1 in the source at a time (experimenting). For me Volume at 50 or 55 is too loud for my space which is 300 sq ft

I just dont get the volume issue. Any ideas?
There is no issue here. Those gain levels are fine. In fact, you can go upto 80% if you feel like and the receiver should not break a sweat.
Your speakers are rated at 86db. Not the easiest to drive so the gain needs to cranked up a bit more to wake them up.
Considering the system does wake up sometimes and then it does not during other times, thats something else going on. Will need some fiddling of the cec and hdmi parameters. Should be an easy fix.

While possibly the speakers maybe calibrated right through Audyssey, it is set at conservative levels, You can try to increased each speaker by +1b and see if that makes the difference.

By default, source levels are set to 0 and this can be manually adjusted upto +12. If the sources are too low, you will obviously need to climb the volume above 50-60 to get something coming out well.

I have been a Marantz user for years and content coming out from TV or Firestick or even FM radio needs a little juice up! I have increased the Source level manually to +5 or +6 for most of the sources I use. This helps to send a better boosted signal to the AVR circuitary which in turn facilitates a decent playback. Professionally in sound setups, we use GAIN to boost the signal to get optimal playback. No harm trying by increasing +1 in the source at a time (experimenting). For me Volume at 50 or 55 is too loud for my space which is 300 sq ft
Very true, increasing source level gives good sq at low volume. It doesn’t add extra burden on AVR to drive difficult speakers also

Your speakers are not efficient, 86db in the LCR is not an easy job for the AVRs, Hence, you will have to crank the volume. Remember increasing speaker level in the avr too much will cause clipping. You can very well go for a power amp for the LCRs.

I think it is better to leave the source levels at its default level 0 unless there is a big difference in sound levels of various sources. If all source levels are the same, simply increase the main volume of the AVR till it plays loud enough for your liking. As long as you can get it to play loud enough, the volume position should not matter. As earlier mentioned by a member , 0 DB is the reference level that Audyssey sets during calibration. There are chances of amp clipping without you realizing it if you set the source levels too high.

Also, have you run Audyssey? If you have not, please do.

yes Audyssey is ran. I also do not get when I turn off the cable remote which controls tv/avr turning off all sources turn off fine. I still experience an issue turning on where sometimes the AVR turns on to correct source and sometimes the AVR is on but TV displays incorrect source. I have HDMI turned on as suggested. Anything else to try? thanks

I might need to re run audyssey my levels are Front L +3 Front R +4.5 Center +3.5 Sub -2.5 Sur L +4 Sur R +4. Speaker distances what is the displayed distance from. Mine show FL 10.8 FR 12 C 11.3 Sub 12.3 Sur L 11.3 Sur R 7.9 thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back