Denon x4400H 5.1.4 vs 7.1.2

drkavint

Having ordered denon x4400h ( cheapest available auro3d receiver for 1lakh )from The Audio Gallery coimbatore, ( ordered on Friday to deliver on Tuesday ), keeping my fingers crossed whether to set up as 5.1.4 or 7.1.2. Most of form prefer 5.1.4, but hardly I have any atmos or auro 3d materials. I am on plan of 650rs/ NETFLIX. my Panasonic does not support HDR. I havexpect no idea whether Netflix has any auro3d or atmos. My TV shows only 5.1 audio ... should I needto upgrade my plan? For atmos to show? My existing blurays and contents are 7.1 only so do i keep as7.1.2 . My setup includes two floorstandings and one center and a subwoofer. 6 surround speakers are wall mounted, two as front height, two in the centre of room near to my sitting position and two as behind me. Please note all of them are mounted on wall . The wall height is 10 foot. The room size is 16x17.the surround all 6 are at 9 foot.i think the setup looks good for 5.1.4.so should i go with 5.1.4. If so what will happen to 7.1 dtshd and 7.1 dolby sounds. Will my denon will downgrade to 5.1 or will it upscale to 5.1.4.thanks..((running out of budget ,in future planning to upgrade my onkyo speakers to klipsch then to add extra amp to change 9.1 setup to 11.2.))

Last edited:
Congrats on ur new purchase .use only 7.1.2 set up if ur seating area is small .if ur seating area is big then use 5.1.4 set up .For 16*17 hall 7.1.2 is good.Also atmos content will work only with atmos enabled MOVIES so .u must have good quality movies or music .REGARDING dtshd or dolby sound receiver will automatically detect movie or music mode of sound so u need not worry.

Hi,
Congrats.
If you are looking for Atmos immersive experience minimum one pair ceiling mount would be ideal.IMO.
once your speaker configuration is defined in settings it is your choice to select whether you want to play with 5.1.4 or stereo or Direct mode
( selecting the mode of output ).
your receiver is capable of mix it as per your wish !!! NO worries.

My TV shows only 5.1 audio ... should I needto upgrade my plan? For atmos to show?

You will need source files / discs to Atmos on AVR..

If you are using non-Atmos content, then AVR should default to onboard audio track + upmixer (Neural X / Dts X)..

6 surround speakers are wall mounted, two as front height, two in the centre of room near to my sitting position and two as behind me. Please note all of them are mounted on wall . The wall height is 10 foot. The room size is 16x17.the surround all 6 are at 9 foot.

I think you have mounted the front height & top middle (in the center of your room) fine. Looks like you have mounted surr very high at 10ft..You can consider mounting the surrounds lower than the front heights (or) at ear level, according to your preference..

i think the setup looks good for 5.1.4.so should i go with 5.1.4.

Yes.. 5.1.4 is fine... But with additional power amplifier you can make it 7.1.4..

If so what will happen to 7.1 dtshd and 7.1 dolby sounds. Will my denon will downgrade to 5.1 or will it upscale to 5.1.4

If you are playing a 7.1 movie tracks in a 5.1.4 layout, your surround back is routed to surround channels..And height channels are extracted from the existing tracks (standard 7.1) using Neural X / Dts X upmixer.. Yes, upmixed to 5.1.4

Front heights will give the impression of a tall front soundstage but won't give the impression of sound overhead (the intent of Atmos). When using a single pair of height speakers, they should be on the ceiling a couple of feet forward of your listening position.

You should also move the 4 surrounds down, closer to ear height. The whole point of Atmos is to separate sounds around you versus sounds above you. You're not going to get that separation with your surrounds mounted 1 foot below the ceiling.

Having ordered denon x4400h ( cheapest available auro3d receiver for 1lakh )from The Audio Gallery coimbatore, ( ordered on Friday to deliver on Tuesday ), keeping my fingers crossed whether to set up as 5.1.4 or 7.1.2. Most of form prefer 5.1.4, but hardly I have any atmos or auro 3d materials. I am on plan of 650rs/ NETFLIX. my Panasonic does not support HDR. I havexpect no idea whether Netflix has any auro3d or atmos. My TV shows only 5.1 audio ... should I needto upgrade my plan? For atmos to show? My existing blurays and contents are 7.1 only so do i keep as7.1.2 . My setup includes two floorstandings and one center and a subwoofer. 6 surround speakers are wall mounted, two as front height, two in the centre of room near to my sitting position and two as behind me. Please note all of them are mounted on wall . The wall height is 10 foot. The room size is 16x17.the surround all 6 are at 9 foot.i think the setup looks good for 5.1.4.so should i go with 5.1.4. If so what will happen to 7.1 dtshd and 7.1 dolby sounds. Will my denon will downgrade to 5.1 or will it upscale to 5.1.4.thanks..((running out of budget ,in future planning to upgrade my onkyo speakers to klipsch then to add extra amp to change 9.1 setup to 11.2.))

If you are around CBE, I can help you. I am from CBE only.

Unboxed , set up as 5.1.4 at present...
Looks like iam living in magic world. ( just learning the setup and not yet configured denon)..
i have upgraded from onkyo sr508. Which had 7.1 with add on front height by prologic 2z...
The speaker output has nearly halved ( need to adjust resistance and crossovers and also all value set zero) but amazing clarity. I couldnot beleive such a high clarity..(now wish i was rich enough to buy 8400h)stereo seperations are superb and looks each speaker is playing one instrument..
I tried upscaling and output 4k60fps of video song sourced from my media player @1080p.. the picture was amazing. My Panasonic tv is too bad in contrast and saturation. .i could finetune by increasing these value at source, denon and again in tv. So ultimately giving best result..waiting for Sunday 4 more test and finish setup.. eagerly waiting for auro3d and atmos..

Congratulations...
I will suggest you to move to 7.1.2 as you have more 7 channel collections than atmos/dtx. I own the younger brother of your AVR - Denon 2400, and am enjoying 5.1.2. Once calibrated, please share a detailed review of your new AVR

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back