Design Classics

Hee Hee... not only do all violins indeed look much the same, but their appearance has changed quite a lot since Mr S was making them, and all his still-played examples will have been substantially altered. I guess the body is still the same shape. That violin body, however, and even the shape of the sound holes without the body, says music to almost everyone. Can't get much more classic than that!

Aside: There are carnatic rasikas who despise the presence of the violin on their stage, disparaging it as an English instrument, whereas, of course, it is an Italian instrument, introduced to India by the Irish :)

Dont all violins look more or less the same? Or are you referring to its SQ?

--G0bble
Good point. I think you are referring to what makes it a classic. I think Stradivarius violin has some unique dimensions and some use of wood to make it special.
Netbaba says, in a listening test it was found that it cannot be distinguished from other violins.
Regards :)

someone on this thread had asked about the film 'helvetica'.

apologies for the long delay in replying, but i dug out my copy today. do get in touch if you'd like to borrow for viewing.

Herman Miller - Aeron

LI_AER_P_20050615_002_D.jpg

Now that is something that I seriously want. And I even figure that, as I spend so much of the day in my chair, it would not be an absurd thing to spend the money on.

When this chair falls apart... maybe.

Pleased to know that this Herman Miller chair has figured in this thread.
Right now, I am actually sitting on one such chair (in my office), not an original but manufactured by ICF, Italy which is licenced by Herman Miller.
And this chair is really comfortable man!

Antique Charles Eames chairs manufactured by ICF in Italy - Scott Howard Office Furniture Ltd

A microphone so popular whenever one thinks of microphone, images like this comes up in print, film and ad media.
MH.jpg

Shure model 55
shure-55-collage.jpg

Regards.

Brogues are always nice! The 55's a legend, no doubt. The 57's close and the 58 would be, in about 20 more years maybe...

The 1911 is timelessly elegant. So simplistic yet purposeful. S&W N frame is a second favorite.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back