Dhrupad and imaging

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

I experientially realised today that Dhrupad music, particularly when the aalap at the start of the performance, is excellent media to set the imaging of your speakers, even better than spoken voice. Reason being it’s just one singer (usually) with just a drone in the background and the notes are highly focused and extended. The control of a quality dhrupad singer on the notes is next to none. And the sound comes like a piercing arrow from one point - that focused. The singer usually moves across frequency range between notes so you can check imaging on the upper as well as lower registers. Of course the recording itself should have the vocal right in the center.

(One couid even try with the aalap in khyal recordings but it tends to float unlike that in dhrupad)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally ignorant about indian classical and sound quality experience. Mostly Indian classical has singer in center and accompanying musicians instruments on each side may give illusion of well recorded music. I had a vinyl (Dont remember title) where both speakers had vocals and one channel had prominent tabla music. Didnt sounded good.
Or
by Dhrupad do you mean dynamics ?
Also
lots of depend how was the performance recorded and mixed; and live reverbration may give effect of imaging. Probably that would depend on album to album or tracks. Studio recorded music may be in sound proof anechoic environment. I have number of Indian classical vinyls and cds. But didn't listened to it from your point of view. I will soon but I have tin ears. :(
Regards.

I am totally ignorant about indian classical and sound quality experience. Mostly Indian classical has singer in center and accompanying musicians instruments on each side may give illusion of well recorded music. I had a vinyl (Dont remember title) where both speakers had vocals and one channel had prominent tabla music. Didnt sounded good.
Or
by Dhrupad do you mean dynamics ?
Also
lots of depend how was the performance recorded and mixed; and live reverbration may give effect of imaging. Probably that would depend on album to album or tracks. Studio recorded music may be in sound proof anechoic environment. I have number of Indian classical vinyls and cds. But didn't listened to it from your point of view. I will soon but I have tin ears. :(
Regards.

Hiten, yes all those recording variables will matter. All I am saying is that if those variables were in place, then Dhrupad music, esp. it’s aalap is so focused that it gives a good test of the speakers imaging. Dhrupad is actually an ancient form of Hindustani classical which is not thaa common today. There are only a few families/performers who sing it. Check Dagar brothers, Gundecha brothers or Uday Bhawalkar on YouTube. You’d get an idea.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back