Did I read it right? Can a 6.5 inch sub do 11hz!

tusharshukla1991

Today I read about KEF KC62 sub which not only looks so good but claims that with a new uni core technology, it can produce sun 20hz sound!!

Here is a link:

Looks promising and the internet is suddenly flooded by it.

Any one heard this in person and know about its Price point and availability timeline in India?

Today I read about KEF KC62 sub which not only looks so good but claims that with a new uni core technology, it can produce sun 20hz sound!!

Here is a link:
Thats hardly possible as size and power play a great role in subwoofers low frequency performance. Cant ignore Hoffman's Iron law

QUOTE:
Iron law
. Hofmann argued that the designer had "... three parameters that cannot all be had at the same time": good, deep low-frequency sound, a small cabinet size, and high sensitivity. Hofmann stated that designers could pick two of these three parameters, but in doing so, it would compromise the third parameter.

As mentioned in the product write up, TWO amps of 500 Watts each are built into each sub. (Yes, lots of DSP too!)

So Hoffmann's law holds ;) LF extension from small enclosues, at the cost of high power!

Thanks for Highlighting this new product.

Kef engineers have mentioned in some private chat that this can play 20hz at 80db (anechoic).
This sub at $1500 is only for small rooms with space limitations, I believe

I am sure the HT heavy weights on the forum will be smiling away. In a large treated HT room, this tiny thing will probably break into a sweat before it gets to bass that you can feel. I think this is a lifestyle audio product which is suitable for certain applications. For 2 channel audio, it will probably do a great job. Should be a great match with the newer kef speakers.

I would expect it to be a musical sub...not exactly one to compare with the monster HT subs, from the main stream manufacturers. But twin 6.5 inch bass drivers, can meet the tone, timbre and speed of the main stream Kef speakers with 5 to 6.5 inch mid range drivers. Try getting an 18 inch monster sub to match to a 6.5 inch mid range :D

It is isobaric configuration, so in effect it is a 12 inch woofer in a smaller cabinet. So the power handling has to be very high to compensate for the compromise in size of the cabinet.

I am sure the HT heavy weights on the forum will be smiling away. In a large treated HT room, this tiny thing will probably break into a sweat before it gets to bass that you can feel. I think this is a lifestyle audio product which is suitable for certain applications. For 2 channel audio, it will probably do a great job. Should be a great match with the newer kef speakers.
Its meant for two channel listening. Zero fidelity is going to review it soon and initial impressions are apparently that its better than a REL T7i for music.

Just to throw a curved ball into the mix, there is also a svs 3000 mini to contend with now. But at least has dual opposing 8 inch woofers, against the kef's 6.5 inchers. Of course lots of dsp involved, but atleast I don't see exaggerated claims in their specs. 23 Hz at -3db in a compact 10 inch cube, with looks to die for. And at close to 800 usd, so a lot cheaper than the kef's too

Its meant for two channel listening. Zero fidelity is going to review it soon and initial impressions are apparently that its better than a REL T7i for music.
Id love to wait till the verdict is out. Iam keen on getting 2 subs for my 2 channel setup. But really don't have the space for the main stream, boxy subs, as the speakers themselves are big.

Id love to wait till the verdict is out. Iam keen on getting 2 subs for my 2 channel setup. But really don't have the space for the main stream, boxy subs, as the speakers themselves are big.
He also mentioned that the comparison between the KC62 and REL T7i gets really interesting if you introduce two of the latter. The KC62 seems to be available for 1.6L

Just to throw a curved ball into the mix, there is also a svs 3000 mini to contend with now. But at least has dual opposing 8 inch woofers, against the kef's 6.5 inchers. Of course lots of dsp involved, but atleast I don't see exaggerated claims in their specs. 23 Hz at -3db in a compact 10 inch cube, with looks to die for. And at close to 800 usd, so a lot cheaper than the kef's too

Yes link shared in a couple of posts above

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back