Did something odd.

Hello Doctor,

Can you give a little more detail about a power mixer? Can this equal a stereo amp for music? How would it sound paired with a 9.2?
BTW the power mixer you have mentioned(Proton K300) is listed for 6.5k on ebay Inida.

eBay India: PROTON AUDIO - 4 CHANNEL STEREO 300W RMS POWERED MIXER (item 160371140923 end time 27-Oct-2009 11:30:00 IST)

Thanks,
sri

A mixer is used when you have multiple line ins and only 2 speakers ( a singer mike, a guitar in, 3 mics from drums, 2 for keyboards etc.) it mixes everything and puts it out to an amplifier. there is a master volume plus you can adjust the gain of each mic separately. you can add some effects like reverb, echo etc. each channel may have high , mid and low freqency equalizers (like our regular amps). the input s maybe balanced (XLR) or unbalanced like RCA. balanced are important when the cables are long, like those in a live concert. you need at least12-16 channel mixer for a regular orchestra and much better for concerts.
a 6 channel mixer is ideal for lecture rooms where there is 1 mic for speaker, 2 for the audience and a line in from laptop.

a powered mixer has an amplifier built in. so you can connect speakers directly to it without the need of a separate amplifier. if you need more power, you use line out(like pre amp out) to feed another amp. my mixer is more than enough for me. on a gain scale of 1 to 10 i am using 1 and not anything above that.

i was not interested in mixer but only a powered mixer was available in my budget(7-10K). i didn't want cheap Rs 1000 IC based amps and could not afford power amps of rs 20K + just for my subwoofer. so i had to buy this big unit just for the amp part of it. the added advantage is that i can use it in stereo mode for music and i have fed one of its line ins with the sub out of AVR. so it works as sub amplifier for movies.

about sound quality, i think it is much better than Yamaha RX V 361 for stereo. i don't have anything else to compare it to. my speakers are philips full range open baffles. yesterday i added philips tweeters to it.the full ranger still gets full signal but the tweeters are through a second order hi-pass filter at 4KHz. even though i auditioned Norge, i cannot compare it as the speakers were different but i think it will be at least at par with Norge if not better.

If i happen to go to pune again, i will try to carry the speakers and amp in my car just for the sake of comparison. i think Sonosphere from pune has Norge. about Wharf 9.2 i just can't comment.

I know ebay prices are quite low. somehow i have never been comfortable in on- line deals. i don't even have credit card. audiotioning is not possible in on line deals. i stay in such a village that receiving couriers is a headache.so that option was out for me.

regards

Hello Doctor,

Thanks for patiently explaining it to me.:) The sound mixer sounds very interesting as a cheap option for sure.I am alway in fear of my vintage amp going dead on me. Thats why i want to keep these options in reserve as a standby. suri has assured me that my amp is over engineered and won't go kaput:).So thats encouraging.

Thanks again,

cheers,
sri

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back