Diff between CD-R and CR-R Music.

kams

Hi,

This is regarding burning Music CDs. I usually download MP3 songs and convert into Car audio format when burning thru Roxio sw as my Car CD player doesnt have MP3 playback.I recently heard about the Blank CD-R Music version.

1.Whats the difference in terms of quality in burning Music between CD-R and CR-R Music?
2. Is there any music quality difference when converting MP3 songs into Car audio(WMV) format?

Please share your knowledge and experience.

Cheers,
kams

1. The CDR-Music blanks cost more since they have a built-in Royalty payment component. The CDR-Music is IDENTICAL to a regular CDR, except that its root sector has a 'Flag' identifying it as a CDR-Music.

Consumer versions of CD Recorders look for this CDR-Music Flag and only commence recording on it, if the Flag is found.

No such limitations on Pro CD Recorders ...

2. You can freely convert between different Lossless and Losy formats. However keep in mind that the result cannot be better than the quality embedded into a Losy farmat file ( eg MP-3) that you start out with.

As an example, you can start out wityh a 128K mp-3 file, and convert to a WAV file ( Ultimate quality format ). The WAV file will be 10 Times (approx) the size of the mp-3 file, but cannot contain information ( ie bettermusic quality) than that was contained in the MP-3 file :(

1. The CDR-Music blanks cost more since they have a built-in Royalty payment component. The CDR-Music is IDENTICAL to a regular CDR, except that its root sector has a 'Flag' identifying it as a CDR-Music.

Consumer versions of CD Recorders look for this CDR-Music Flag and only commence recording on it, if the Flag is found.

No such limitations on Pro CD Recorders ...

IndianEars, can you shed more light on this? As far as I know there are two types of recordable CD - one is write once read many times called CD-R, and the other is Read and Write many times called CR-RW.

Again, as far as I know, all recordable CDs can hold both computer data and music. To keep it compatible with all CD players, the capacity of the original CD-R or CD-RWs was kept at 74 minutes of audio or 650 MiB of data. This has now kind of standardized at 700 MB and 80 minutes of music.

I do not understand how you can charge any royalty on a blank media. Even if you do collect so money, which artist will you give it to?

Yes, some countries charge a levy on the sale of the CD-R/CR-RW, and this levy is kept aside for the welfare of the artists. But this is more like a sales tax that is collected from the distributor and/or retailer.

I have never heard of a 'CDR-Music' before. Can you please explain?

Cheers

Music CDRs are rare and not available over the counter in India.

But, as Indian Ears said... they are necessary for use in consumer grade CD Recorders. The fact that Consumer grade CD recorders are practically not available any more and that EAC and a PC would probably make a better Bit-to-bit copy is another story....

Some consumer grade CD Recorders can be fooled by first inserting a Music CDR blank... let it read / identify it, then eject and substitute it with a Data CDR , and continue to record music on the Data CDR....

Last edited:
Hi,

This is regarding burning Music CDs. I usually download MP3 songs and convert into Car audio format when burning thru Roxio sw as my Car CD player doesnt have MP3 playback.I recently heard about the Blank CD-R Music version.

1.Whats the difference in terms of quality in burning Music between CD-R and CR-R Music?
2. Is there any music quality difference when converting MP3 songs into Car audio(WMV) format?

Please share your knowledge and experience.

Cheers,
kams

So Kams, there you have the answer as explained by Amp Nut.

Since you are using Roxio, I am assuming you are using a PC. Unless you are using a commercial CD recorder, you need not worry about CD-R type. Just use a regular CD-R.

I am curious. Why are you using WMV format? This is meant for video files and would not have much value for audio files. The best format to use is the original Redbook format. In computer language, this is called CDA. If you use this format, the CD will become usable in all equipment.

The other format you can use is a wave file format with the extension WAV.

In Roxio there is an option to 'Create and Audio CD', that automatically creates in the CDA format.

But remember what IndianEars said. If you convert from MP3 to any other format, you will still be playing an MP3 version of the song.

There are other threads in this forum that discuss the value of MP3 files against loss less formats.

Cheers

If you are using a PC to do all of your burning, then it doesn??t matter. PCs do not differentiate between music CD-Rs and data CD-Rs. They simply see a blank media and duplicate information on to it pertaining to the settings you have outlined in the software you are using to burn the CD.

However, if you are using a separate home CD burner, it may or may not allow you to burn data/music onto a generic blank data/music CDR. Proprietors are funny like that. They really only want you to use blank media with brand names that they have approved of.

So my advice is if you are doing most of your CD duplication on the computer, it doesn??t matter which type of blank CDR you use. They both will work fine in most cases for storing audio and data. However, if you are using a CD writer outside of your computer for you burning needs, check the manual and see what they recommend.

Hi Venkat,

I am sorry.I was wrong in my info.It is not WMV. Actually I am converting Mp3 into Car/Home Audio format using Roxio.I think it should be CDA format.I am using my laptop for this.

So,It is my understanding that I dont need "CD-R Music" CD for burning.I thought It will give quality burning.thats why I wanted to know about this.

Anyway, Thank you and I appreciate AmpNut,IndianEars and Valveenthu for their useful & Prompt reply.Thanks to them also.

Cheers.
Kams

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back