Difference between Sony W950 and W850 series

@sanjeevji,

To put in a nutshell does it mean the VA panels are superior to IPS panels. And another thing. Do all VA panels have local dimming and the IPS panels do not have it.

Last edited:
1) Generally VA panel has superior black level and contrast than IPS panel.
2) VA panel has poor viewing angle than the IPS panel
3) Color reproduction should be same in W850/W9* as that is being driven by the trilouminous technology
4) Local dimming is related with backlit and is independent of panel type.

I am planning to buy W950 46". Just want to get feedback on the viewing angles as it has VA panel. Will there be any issues with wide viewing angle?

A noobs question - when you talk of local dimming on the TV is it user controllable or is it automatically done by the TV software based on the scene displayed?

If it's automatic how do you get to know by demoing ?

If manual is it practical?

A noobs question - when you talk of local dimming on the TV is it user controllable or is it automatically done by the TV software based on the scene displayed?

Usually, automatically, not sure if there are any TVs that allow for manual control of local dimming.

If it's automatic how do you get to know by demoing ?

There are test discs available for free that are compilations of video clips and sequences that can be used to give TV's a workout. Google for "avsforum video test discs", "free video calibration discs" etc. IIRC there was one on avsforum and also posted on this forum too. Use the HFV forum search to see if anything turns up.

If I find them again, I will post, or maybe someone else on the forum will stop by and post.

If manual is it practical?

I doubt it will be practical. Human response time will not be fast enough to handle changes in video.

That being said you can probably play with various display settings to get an idea of what can be done manually with most modern TVs. Give the Settings section of most any TV in a showroom a workout and you'll see what can be done.

Oh... Thats a problem. :( . But in specs the viewing angle is mentioned as 178'. I will go to showroom and check it.

Should I go for W850 in that case...? Hope the PQ is equally good as W950.

in SD channels viewing angles are average ..usual with all LCD

in HD.. viewing angles are perfect .. i watched chennai express HD movie on youtube.. sitting from side.. and it was mindblowing..

local dimmming feature in sony is called LED dynamic control.. set it low..

W850 vieweing angles good..but picture becomes dull from sides ..with sunlight .. the only problem with W850 is picture is lot dull than others.

Last edited:
snapdeal.com has nice discount on sony w950 price shown 1.14 lacs mrp is 132000, i myself got it for 1.25 lacs from local showroom last year

in SD channels viewing angles are average ..usual with all LCD

in HD.. viewing angles are perfect .. i watched chennai express HD movie on youtube.. sitting from side.. and it was mindblowing..

local dimmming feature in sony is called LED dynamic control.. set it low..

W850 vieweing angles good..but picture becomes dull from sides ..with sunlight .. the only problem with W850 is picture is lot dull than others.

I have Airtel HD... most channels I watch are available in HD... guess I will not have issues with W950

Is the PS3 offer still available ? Can u suggest any showroom for best price?

Thanks.

I have Airtel HD... most channels I watch are available in HD... guess I will not have issues with W950

Is the PS3 offer still available ? Can u suggest any showroom for best price?

Thanks.

bajaj electronics 1.18lak ..PS3 depends on stock. as PS4 came

this is how SD channels look from sitting in sofa from side .. pic takes with sony ion mobile ..low quality
2qir12x.jpg

have reliance sd box .. not connected with hdmi .. soon buying tata sky HD

if u need pics ..i will play HD movies and send you with different settings

bajaj electronics 1.18lak ..PS3 depends on stock. as PS4 came

this is how SD channels look from sitting in sofa from side .. pic takes with sony ion mobile ..low quality
2qir12x.jpg

have reliance sd box .. not connected with hdmi .. soon buying tata sky HD

if u need pics ..i will play HD movies and send you with different settings

Thanks for the PIC... I visited Sony Center and checked the viewing angles... It looked good to me at most angles... Of course the content was in HD...

Also checked Samsung F7500 in chroma... compared it with W950 side by side... Both TV delivered good colors and PQ was excellent. Price of F7500 is 1.20L plus Free Galaxy Tab 3.... But i have almost decided on W950.

Is Bajaj Electronics in Bangalore? Can you let me know the address.

The lowest deal i got is 1.22L with PS3.

> Is Bajaj Electronics in Bangalore? Can you let me know the address. The lowest deal i got is 1.22L with PS3.

Which shop is offering this price? The best rate known to me in Bangalore was 1.23 with PS3.

Sony, Bannergatta Road

I called them up last week. They quoted me 1.25 L without PS3.
I rechecked the store I's following up, they quoted 97k without PS3 and with PS3 1.23 L. Croma/Adishwar etc are selling at 1.05 L without PS3 (with a stabilizer free on hard bargain). I'll go with the shop which quoted me 97k this weekend.

I am planning to buy this model as well. Can you let me know which store you are getting at 97k? May be we can buy together? I am also from bangalore.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back