Difference between warm and bright stereo amplifier

With due apologies to the thread starter!
I hope the young lads (and lassies - if any) don't get wild on us uncles ;)

You did a great miracle of enlightening the folks about the difference between warm and bright amplifiers. :cheers::beer::signthankspin::D

Once again I want to reckon it is also, depends up on matching. Matching forward speaker cable with warm signature speaker or amp will become neutral. When qed cables connected with quad speakers sounded nice. Like wise when kimber 8tc connected with Jmlab found sound became too forward. Bec jmlab is basically mid dominated speaker also little bit high senstitivity. But when I connected this link with my Ayon orion amp [which is generally warm rolled off hf and deep lf] I had a good stereo image and warm sound. Generally natural sound [non distorted] like original sound will not make us ear fatigue one can listen music in hours with pleasure. On the other hand distorted sound whether it is too bright or too warm sound can not be auditioned long. Bec we love and amazed by the natural sound only. For example if a cycle bell or a calling bell rings in a sound track as if natural we would be amazed Some times it would make us to turn around to see if anything happens near by us since the sound is so original like. If it is too forward or rolled off we will be disappointed. So warm and bright sounding is nothing it is simply matching with the systems to attain the originality in the hifi sound. Little bit R&D with a sample good recorded music in ones taste will do it

Last edited:
Totally agree with Clearcut. Some Warm amplifiers paired with a brighter speakers will make the music come back to life. A warm amp and a Warm speaker matched with warm cables and CDP will make the music so dull and boring. Its all about matching.
I have used the Cyrus amp with the Dynaudio speakers and the combo was never bright, even though people call cyrus - Bright.

i dont get it. If its just a question of rising or falling high frequency response above or below the flatline, all it takes is to turn the treble knob down or up to convert bright to warm and warm to bright, but that doesnt seem to be the case and people keep looking for matching speakers, cables etc etc etc.

Maybe the cable companies bribed the amp manufacturers to remove those treble and bass knobs, and spread the rumour that real hifi shouldn't need such things :rolleyes:

Tubes glowing is an amazing sight no matter what!
Somehow, waiting for silent weeks until dad could find the right replacement for a dead "valve" put me off the whole idea, and prejudices acquired young tend to stick long!

Sorry OT:
Oh so warm...Ouch it's hot... pass labs it seems :)
Hot-Aleph3-2.jpg

:clapping:
Samuel

i dont get it. If its just a question of rising or falling high frequency response above or below the flatline, all it takes is to turn the treble knob down or up to convert bright to warm and warm to bright, but that doesnt seem to be the case and people keep looking for matching speakers, cables etc etc etc.

So true...........;) :D

Novice reviving an old thread....

How would the forum categorize:

1) Norge 2060
2) Yamaha RX-V440 receiver

Also, can the bright/neutral/warm categorization apply to speakers too?

Novice reviving an old thread....

How would the forum categorize:

1) Norge 2060
2) Yamaha RX-V440 receiver

Also, can the bright/neutral/warm categorization apply to speakers too?

I'll skip the categorisation as I've not listened to either of them. For the question regarding speakers, yes this categorisation applies to speakers as well. In fact, more than the amps, speakers tend to have these sound signatures depending on the drivers and the material used.

Now, as the amp and speaker can have their own sound signatures (warm or bright), it is important in pairing them. This will subsequently affect the overall sound signature.

warm - NAD
warm side of neutral - Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Sugden, most class A amps
neutral - hotly debatable. I feel quads like 306 and 606 mk2 are pretty neutral. Obviously there are others I have not heard.
bright side of neutral - Creek, Cambridge Audio.
Bright - Marantz, Cyrus, Rotel

Marantz is a bright amp...?

Last edited:
it is all subjective..though definitions are correct..
with warm sound you can listen to the music continuously up to any length because u wont get ear and brain fatigue
with bright sound this length is very much limited..

but it is all subjective to noise inherent in sound signal..

warm signature is suitable for classical(indian, western)
bright sound is suitable for everything else..i am saying suitable..it means particular person may like the sound or not..

if noiseless sound is there anything will sound great..and that depends on a person who is hearing..

its all gamble out there..there is no perfection...even for humans...thats why upgrade bug bites every audiophile..
those who are contained..and emotionally attached to music are the blessed ones..proof is there in attached image...

cheers
dheeraj

Last edited:
with warm sound you can listen to
the music continuously up to any length because
u wont get ear and brain fatigue
with bright sound this length is very much limited..

Soooo: with a warm to neutral AS 500 Yam
I have resisted only for 2 days, 4 hours in all) ,
but with a brigth sounding Mara 6004
I'm cohabiting from already 2 years
(3 hours continuously or more/day) ... :D

Last edited:
So with a warm to neutral AS 500 Yam I have resisted for 2 days, 4 hours at all)
but with a brigth Mara 6004 are still 2 years (3 hours or more/day) :D

as i said.it is all subjective to human..its your ears and brain....that is procesing...even we humans have one converter...may be ear to brain conveter..

because of this anomaly ...every..every audiophile is subjected to bitten by the upgrade bug..

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back