Difference in power ratings of Marantz Pm7000N (stereo amps) and Avrs???

Some vintage amplifiers with lesser rated power outperform the newest amplifiers with more rated power in performance.
That's an interesting article and one that is more known these days.
Its not for nothing power amplifiers are flying off shelves, as AV receivers simply do not have that headroom to drive all channels under high loads and remain stable, or in other words, provide headroom.
I sometimes wonder why AV receivers are so expensive, as the amplifier section is still a weak spot. It can't be all the licensing fees. That's already paid for a dozen different products and should be baked into the system.
Its all the Japanese receivers that fall short with the exception of Rotel. NAD, Anthem sit on another level.

Hi guys

Need some help. I have a query. I have a KEF Q series setup with Q500 fronts and Q200C center and KEF C1 surrounds. I was using it with a Denon AVR2113 and Wharfedele sub. Recently there was some problem with the power supply of the AVR. Now to simplify my setup, instead of getting it rectified, I have decided to go the 2.1 route for music and getting the Tv sound through an optical cable. My options were Marantz NR1200 and the Marantz PM7000N. Now the first one is a 2 channel receiver rated at 75W per channel and the latter is an integrated stereo amp with a rated power of 60W per channel. Yesterday I auditioned both. I found the NR1200 sound very anaemic compared to my earlier avr which was rated at 95W per channel. But the PM7000N was much better maybe because its an integrated amp. Now it may come as a shock but I have to admit, this was the first time in my life that I heard a proper integrated stereo amp. My question relates to this only. Will the Marantz PM7000N @60W per channel do justice to the KEF Q500 speakers rated at 130W per channel???

The audition was done with the KEF Q550 speakers. We could not raise the volume beyond 60-65 without it getting too loud or harsh. Now despite having done the audition, I am not too clear whether the amp will drive the speakers properly. I think my doubt stems from the fact that I am a complete noob when it comes to stereo amps with almost no exposure. I am not sure why we could not raise the volume beyond that…As per the store guys, its because stereo amp power ratings are different ftom AVR ratings and they have high current. Is it true? If this were true, wouldn’t the speaker ratings have two different kinds of specs ?

OR was it because the amp is underpowered for the speakers?

Also in the case of a stereo amp do the speakers operate at their full capacity db levels while in the case of avrs I was using them at -7 or -8 db levels as per audyssey distance ? Maybe this is why the NR1200 sounded weak despite a higher power rating…

Kindly please enlighten me on the issue and differences between the power ratings of stereo amps and avrs, just so that I don’t make a wrong decision. Right now I am lost in this sea of information online. Also please anyone with hands on experience with the PM7000N and its capabilities to drive a tower speaker?

PS : After this purchase, my KEF Q200C centre and KEF C1 surround speakers would be free for sale. Also available is a DENON avr2113 with a faulty power supply. If anyone is interested kindy Pm me or drop a whatsapp at 9650368800. Thanks
I am in exact dilemma, just that I have a pair of Polk Audio R200 for 2.0 (maybe 2.1 if the need arise)... have auditioned NR1200 with R200 and I think it lacks something (maybe my ears' problem ). have not listened to PM7000N though. same question, would the PM7000N with less 15W can dynamically power the R200 to make them sing? music source: CD player, stream (Tidal/Spotify) and soon a turntable. thanks much.

I am in exact dilemma, just that I have a pair of Polk Audio R200 for 2.0
You'll need to pair them up and listen.
Those Polks are rated at 86db sensitivity and are rated to go down to 4ohm. The NR1200 isn't even rated at 4ohm!
The 7000N does support 4ohm, which probably explains the >2x increased cost of the amplifier. Its likely to make those Polks sing compared to the NR.

I am in exact dilemma, just that I have a pair of Polk Audio R200 for 2.0 (maybe 2.1 if the need arise)... have auditioned NR1200 with R200 and I think it lacks something (maybe my ears' problem ). have not listened to PM7000N though. same question, would the PM7000N with less 15W can dynamically power the R200 to make them sing? music source: CD player, stream (Tidal/Spotify) and soon a turntable. thanks much.

Auditioning is the best way. Either you carry your speakers to the dealer and check on both the amp models or if the dealer can send both units for a home demo, would be much better as then you will understand which from the two would suit you better after listening at your place. The auditioning experience at Dealer shop will be much different even though you may use the same audio content.

Typically High Current amplifiers tend to perform better. If you want all AVR features but a stereo output with sub connectivity options then the NR1200 makes sense. If you are into pure stereo mainly listening to music and looking to sometimes amplify a 2.0 output for your TV or Computer etc then an Integrated Amplifier makes sense.

I have the MArantz PM7000N.

The power rating is very conservative. It effortlessly drives my Dali Oberon 5s.
I have come around to the view that power rating in AVRs is overstated, and understated in stereo amps.

The Marantz PM7000N will drive you Polk R200s withotu any problem whatsoever.

I sincerely reccomend the amp - its fantastic.

The power rating is very conservative. It effortlessly drives my Dali Oberon 5s.
I have come around to the view that power rating in AVRs is overstated, and understated in stereo amps.

Thanks, appreciate your input...
happy listening

hello guys, I have auditioned both NR1200 and PM7000N on R200s last week... and undeniably, the PM7000N performed far more better than the NR, given that the R200 is not easy to drive. maybe, just maybe... NR would perform better easier to drive speakers. would like to thank you for all your inputs, appreciate it very much. Stay Safe.

This kinda depends. I reckon Marantz is pretty spot on with it's 2 channel rating for its AVRs. How they sound compared to the IAs is another matter altogether.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back