Different gauge cable for +/- terminals

RaahulT

Hi.
I am presently using same gauge cables for connecting speakers to amplifier. Thought came to mind, can I use higher thickness cable say 12 gauge to connect +ve terminal and lower thickness say 16 gauge for -ve terminal without losing SQ.
Assumption being, electricity travels from +ve to -ve and during the course much of electrical energy converted to sound energy & heat at speaker so cable capacity requirement at -ve end shall be lower.

Checked online but could not find useful specific inputs.

If we apply the basic understanding of current flow via a load, we need to consider the complete path of the electricity. So any resistance offered by the cables would be sum of resistance added +ve cable & -Ve cable. For simplicity of calculation, if we assume resistance added by the +ve cable is .5 ohm and 1 ohm by the -ve cable. So total resistance would be 1.5 ohm.

Since sound consist of 20hz to 20khz so we need to factor in inductance and capacitance of the cables.
But you are not going to gain much by just increasing the gauge of one cable.

I think it would be more beneficial to use different gauge cables for high and low frequencies. Try this instead.

Assumption being, electricity travels from +ve to -ve and during the course much of electrical energy converted to sound energy & heat at speaker so cable capacity requirement at -ve end shall be lower.
Assumption on exactly opposite side is equally compelling, (that is using higher Guage for Negative terminals) that return to the amplifier (feedback) side is more important for better audiophile experience. I read this on Agon discussions AFAIK. If this difference in Guage isn't quite large it should not be quite risky to experiment I believe.

Kindly keep us posted about your observations and hopefully we all can benefit from your experience.

Hi.
I am presently using same gauge cables for connecting speakers to amplifier. Thought came to mind, can I use higher thickness cable say 12 gauge to connect +ve terminal and lower thickness say 16 gauge for -ve terminal without losing SQ.

Checked online but could not find useful specific inputs.
You will need to understand that +ve and -ve are human labeled terminologies.
The electric field and current doesn't care about +ve and -ve terminals.

Though experiment:
+ve terminal of battery <--- 1 light year distance ---> Bulb1 <--- 1 light year distance ---> Bulb2 <--- 1 light year distance ---> -ve terminal of same battery

Which bulb will light up first?

You will need to understand that +ve and -ve are human labeled terminologies.
The electric field and current doesn't care about +ve and -ve terminals.

Though experiment:
+ve terminal of battery <--- 1 light year distance ---> Bulb1 <--- 1 light year distance ---> Bulb2 <--- 1 light year distance ---> -ve terminal of same battery

Which bulb will light up first?
wasnt there a youtube debate by veritasium and many counter videos on something like this ?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back