Difficult to find high dynamic range recordings in Bollywood music.

MIS100

I am looking for good quality recordings for Hindi songs. Most Bollywood songs have extended bass and shrill treble.. probably to please the 'dhin-chak' loving dancing crowd listening to music on a budget audio gear. Finding a high dynamic range Indian music is almost impossible. One of the best Hindi sounds I find is by Jagjit Singh. Even his first album, The Unforgettables sounds pretty good. Few others are by A.R. Rahman. It's a pity that with such a massive musical talent in India, the recording companies don't do justice to present it to people. Any suggestions for high dynamic range Indian recordings?

I am looking for good quality recordings for Hindi songs. Most Bollywood songs have extended bass and shrill treble.. probably to please the 'dhin-chak' loving dancing crowd listening to music on a budget audio gear. Finding a high dynamic range Indian music is almost impossible. One of the best Hindi sounds I find is by Jagjit Singh. Even his first album, The Unforgettables sounds pretty good. Few others are by A.R. Rahman. It's a pity that with such a massive musical talent in India, the recording companies don't do justice to present it to people. Any suggestions for high dynamic range Indian recordings?
Even worse is the flange sound effect some songs have on vocals.

Some of Arijit Singh, Anshuman khurana, Sukhwinder Singh, Rekha Bharadwaj, few Jagjit Singh & Jubin Nautiyal songs among others do sound good.
While I do agree, at least on my modest gear most of the old Rafi and Kishore Kumar songs do sound quite flat.

Some of Arijit Singh, Anshuman khurana, Sukhwinder Singh, Rekha Bharadwaj, few Jagjit Singh & Jubin Nautiyal songs among others do sound good.
While I do agree, at least on my modest gear most of the old Rafi and Kishore Kumar songs do sound quite flat.
@Nitin K for upgraded recording quality of old Hindi songs, listen to SaReGaMa Revival series of songs on Spotify, where old Hindi songs are re-recorded for better sound.

Your best bets:

1. Vinyl/ vinyl rips from early editions (esp. of film albums from 50s-70s)
2. Special edition CDs by EMI/RPG (usually as compilation of songs from two or three films) made in UK mostly in 80s and 90s (of even older films).

Last edited:
@Nitin K for upgraded recording quality of old Hindi songs, listen to SaReGaMa Revival series of songs on Spotify, where old Hindi songs are re-recorded for better sound.
You and spotify made my day. Some of those songs by Surraiya, Talat, C Ramchandra have been fabulously done. I just heard them on laptop. Tonight it will play on my main system with some single malt. Just can't wait to discover more of these superb oldies which had only badly recorded songs available.

I do find some of the songs have a bit of base in them ( base guitar and bit of drums ) - the original seems a bit flat or non-existent .
was these instruments added , or just enhanced on these low/mid low range feq?

I do find some of the songs have a bit of base in them ( base guitar and bit of drums ) - the original seems a bit flat or non-existent .
was these instruments added , or just enhanced on these low/mid low range feq?
True, most of the original Hindi mastered tracks on the CD's I have, sound very flat and dull.
I have heard a remastered song of "Jaan pehchan ho " by Mohmd. Rafi and is much more enjoyable than the original but at the same time keeping the original essence in mind and not deviating towards mindless bass.

If u shift from comercial film music like Bollywood etc. from some gulam ali sahyab, jagjit ji, nusrat shayab, bhupendar ji and some of asha ji gazal u almost realise how they recorded their music with lots of micro dynamics and high dynamic range And i tnk ur prb solved almost. Try it once.

Listen to FLAC files..FLAC sounds better than apple music or spotify...Spotify & Apple music adds unnecessary high frequency to the music...FLAC files are original files ripped from CD & when heard via HiRes walkman they sounds true

Listen to FLAC files..FLAC sounds better than apple music or spotify...Spotify & Apple music adds unnecessary high frequency to the music...FLAC files are original files ripped from CD & when heard via HiRes walkman they sounds true
I use DSD or FLAC for almos 90% of music. But when it comes to old Hindi songs, the original itself is so bad that the flac itself is bad. There was a dark age for bollywood when the Finance minister (TTK) had imposed a huge duty on imported cinematographic equipments and that resulted in bollywood using trash low quality "Make in India" equipments to record music. The worst thing about this guy who founded the TTk industry is that he was very much associated with Music. He has the ignominy of being the first minister in free India to have resigned due to his involvement in a scam. If you have used the Prestige Cooker, he is that guy. He was associated with Madras Music Academy. A music hall in Madras bears his name.

Last edited:
Revisiting this old thread. I might not have fully grasped recognizing dynamic range through listening alone. However, the album by Jagjit Singh mentioned earlier, remains incredibly soothing to me. I lean towards music where vocals are clear and prominent, with instruments complementing rather than overpowering the voice. It's like the "unplugged" sound, though I'm not sure which genre that falls into.

Today, I decided to explore how high dynamic range looks visually. I recorded three songs on Audacity for this experiment. The first was "Baat Nikelige To Phir." The second, where the voice is clear, was "Kambakth Ishq" by Sukhwinder Singh, and the third, where instruments seemed overpowering, was "Thayya Thayya" by Sukhwinder Singh. Interestingly, both Hollywood songs had beats at a higher level than the voice, but somehow "Kambakth Ishq" sounded good to my ears.
Overall, visually, all of them seem to have a good dynamic range. Am I correct with that statement?
Can someone provide a link to a song with poor dynamic range?

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 1.39.16 AM.png

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back