Difficulty and cost of rebuilding a Lenco L75

if you have any local contacts in the UK, that's the best option.
I used to see tons of NAD 3020's and L75's going for throwaway prices because sellers could not be bothered to ship them, while the auctions with shipping went towards obscene amounts, and being bought by US and foreign sellers.

Finally when an NAD 3020 came up near me, snapped it up for 60 GBP! the same thing goes for L75's - but prepare to travel north into the smaller towns in UK if you want something good and cheap!

Personally I found it fun because i got to mix two of my objectives - travelling and getting hifi equipment cheap!

Navin, could you elaborate on "problems"?

Problem means that used electronics are "Prohibited Items" as per Customs Act. If you import these items, now a days, the authorities either don't allow you to take it (Confiscate it) or may impose penal duty, which becomes quite high. It was not the case till about a year back. I have imported several items from Ebay sellers. Sometimes, I was charged duty but mostly not!

Problem means that used electronics are "Prohibited Items" as per Customs Act. If you import these items, now a days, the authorities either don't allow you to take it (Confiscate it) or may impose penal duty, which becomes quite high. ...

this is the most pertinent point and hence the biggest risk in importing hence unless it is carried in by someone its not recommended

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Lets hope I can find someone who will carry it.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Lets hope I can find someone who will carry it.

Buying is part one.

If you go through the thread linked by omishra (plus few other Lenco rebuild threads on this forum), you'll notice that there is quite a bit of work involved in getting the tonearm in shape (in case one wants to retain the stock arm), fettling the mechanicals (cleaning, oiling/greasing bearing and motor), finding a suitable alternative arm, and building the actual plinth.

Most of us nutcases;) who had undertaken the ordeal consider it fun. You might, too:)

And that's part two.

Lenco Heaven forum is a wealth of information and help for Lenco enthusiasts.

Just wanted to give you a quick and dirty reality/sanity check.

Most of us nutcases;) who had undertaken the ordeal consider it fun. You might, too:)

And that's part two.

Lenco Heaven forum is a wealth of information and help for Lenco enthusiasts.

Just wanted to give you a quick and dirty reality/sanity check.

in my case totally with you on the Nut case and Ordeal part but mixed feeling on "Fun" as it can get frustrating during the process :lol:

The Plinth and the Arm are the weakest link and which literally drags the TT down. hence unless you are a purist who wants to retain the Lenco feel ( since it was not so successful on sound it still beats me) it makes sense to drop both out as the first step

putting the plinth with 4 corners on bricks itself increases the sound in leaps and bounds

Last edited:
What's the feedback on the Lenco L70? I understand that its tonearm is not a weak point as in case of L75. What you guys say?

Joshua, you are a certified nutcase ;) but I would also add, very passionate. It is members like you, omishra, sachin and many others that have paved the path and are a huge source of encouragement for beginners like me. Many of my DIY projects have been realized thanks to help from nutcase members.

Agree with the fun and learning part. Nowadays these TTs cost much more than their prices few years ago. Just trying to gauge if today's cost, difficulty in acquiring spares, and effort still justifies the performance. Hope I will find these gems at reasonable prices.

Navin, surprised that customs is taking such a view when the import is for personal use and not a business.

greenhorn/reuben, may be I should make friends with your contacts :D

Always pay attention to cosmetics. Most of my purchases are NOS, and in some cases, even have original packaging. The issue with hand-carrying in an Indian context is that when someone is travelling from abroad, they are usually burdened by a lot of requests from friends and family for hand carrying stuff, and most of these requests don't include electronics.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back