Diffusion or absorption

Akshit2111

Hey Guys

I think my room needs a little bit of treatment. I sometimes feel that the high notes are a little fatiguing. Whenever i clap, theres very slight hollowness to the sound. I wont say thats echo but the clap seems a bit loud. ( If you know what i mean)
Also i can hear ppl talk if they are like talking in the lobby.
After bit of consulting some say diffusion is better than absorption.

I really want to know what should i do. Like i am open to DIY ideas or other interesting ideas if u have any. I dont want to spend alot of money into this as of now.

Thanks in advance
room dimension approx would be 16*10 feet.
I have set up my equipment in the breadth of the room and not the length of the room.

Hey Guys

I think my room needs a little bit of treatment. I sometimes feel that the high notes are a little fatiguing. Whenever i clap, theres very slight hollowness to the sound. I wont say thats echo but the clap seems a bit loud. ( If you know what i mean)
Also i can hear ppl talk if they are like talking in the lobby.
After bit of consulting some say diffusion is better than absorption.

I really want to know what should i do. Like i am open to DIY ideas or other interesting ideas if u have any. I dont want to spend alot of money into this as of now.

Thanks in advance
room dimension approx would be 16*10 feet.
I have set up my equipment in the breadth of the room and not the length of the room.
I am almost in the same situation as you with the clap thing and outside noises filtering through to the room. Also I get no sound imaging from my speakers probably because one speaker is awfully close to side wall while the other one is 5-6 feet away.
I too would be interested in doing some room treatment if it is not an eyesore.
I was just having flight of ideas and this one seems a bit reasonable - if a large painting can be stuffed with rockwool behind it and used for absorbtion. Though the painting should be on a porous material. Don't know how well it will work.

Both diffusion and absorption have pros and cons. Best to measure the sound and then do corrections, rather than straight go into them.

A clap is a high frequency sound, so is hf your only problem or there are other issues. HF absorption is easier done. Can be done by curtains, furniture as well as acoustic foam. Diffusors, while can be built, is easier to acquire, or you can use bookshelves, potted plants or any irregular surface material which doesnt absorb hf.

I am almost in the same situation as you with the clap thing and outside noises filtering through to the room. Also I get no sound imaging from my speakers probably because one speaker is awfully close to side wall while the other one is 5-6 feet away.
I too would be interested in doing some room treatment if it is not an eyesore.
I was just having flight of ideas and this one seems a bit reasonable - if a large painting can be stuffed with rockwool behind it and used for absorbtion. Though the painting should be on a porous material. Don't know how well it will work.

For Absorption DIY ideas are fairly simple. You can watch videos. Absorption can be managed on our own.

Both diffusion and absorption have pros and cons. Best to measure the sound and then do corrections, rather than straight go into them.

A clap is a high frequency sound, so is hf your only problem or there are other issues. HF absorption is easier done. Can be done by curtains, furniture as well as acoustic foam. Diffusors, while can be built, is easier to acquire, or you can use bookshelves, potted plants or any irregular surface material which doesnt absorb hf.
Can you shed some more light as to how to ascertain what actually the problem is!

Use a callibrated microphone like Umik or any other you can get your hands on. Then use a software like REW or Dirac to measure your rooms response from your listening position. Once you are able to get the measurements, you can see the problems.

The other set of problems are based on the rooms dimensions, check out room mode calculators online and feed in your dimensions and it will tell what are the troublesome frequencies.

Hi, you really seem to have a larger problem than I do - I too have a live room with very little soft furnishing (carpets and curtains catch much dust). Conversations in my living room tend to take on a sibilant quality

So after endless web searching, the solution I used was buy a couple of cork mats (rubberised) from a friendly company in south Bombay (near Horniman circle) called Lamtex Insulation (comes up on web search use “Horniman Circle” too). The idea being when not in use can be rolled up and put away.

It works very well. Even when people speak the quality of voice is much improved. When I listen near-field, the quality is much improved too.

Vivek

Can you post a few pictures.
Hi, you really seem to have a larger problem than I do - I too have a live room with very little soft furnishing (carpets and curtains catch much dust). Conversations in my living room tend to take on a sibilant quality

So after endless web searching, the solution I used was buy a couple of cork mats (rubberised) from a friendly company in south Bombay (near Horniman circle) called Lamtex Insulation (comes up on web search use “Horniman Circle” too). The idea being when not in use can be rolled up and put away.

It works very well. Even when people speak the quality of voice is much improved. When I listen near-field, the quality is much improved too.

Vivek
Sorry forgot to tag :)

There you go. Just a couple of cork mats on the floor at the first bounce point. I would like to put more, but don’t want to risk divorce!!! Vivek

Attachments

• 1D177A20-66CD-4C7E-8B27-B31197ED85D4.jpeg
    1D177A20-66CD-4C7E-8B27-B31197ED85D4.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 44
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back