Digital audio transport to external DAC

MaSh, i'm not planning to invest more on the audio streamer, as i have to buy a decent DAC & a sub. So, the budget is to spend as less as possible, less than 10k. Current setup: iPhone 6S --> Musical Fidelity A1 --> Fluance SX6 Bookshelf.

I have the 3.5mm to RCA converter cable to play the audio files directly from the iPhone. I previously had SMSL SA98, recently bought an used A1 locally. The speakers were sounding neutral once, but ever since i connected them to A1, the sound is clear, more detailed but too bright and cannot listen for more than 30 mins. I'm planning to add a subwoofer as well in an assumption that it will warm up a bit.

Ahhh so it's not so simple. First, adding a sub will only add to the low-end, it will not change the signature of the sound. Second, if you feel just changing the amp, it has made the system brighter then adding a DAC or another component will not change the signature much.

You could try a simple Bluetooth receiver to start with, which would at the minimum help you go wireless. If that does not help much, you could try a warmer sounding amp such as Marantz, NAD, etc. Also, see if you can somehow EQ the sound a bit on the phone to suit your tastes.

MaSh

I'm much more inclined towards Blu-ray players, as they can also be used for movie watching. Also they come with a remote control, enable easy switching between tracks. I will check the used market first to see if BDP's are put up for sale, as my budget is low.

I have Oppo 103 and not happy with it. I am not sure if there is any good blue ray player which perform well as a transport.

I know few guys who are using modifed Oppo ( using linear power supply and other vibration controls from Oppo mod) and they are happy.
I am talking about stock Oppo. Oppo 205 may be good but it is not available. There is a top of line Pioneer model but is super expensive.

Ahhh so it's not so simple. First, adding a sub will only add to the low-end, it will not change the signature of the sound. Second, if you feel just changing the amp, it has made the system brighter then adding a DAC or another component will not change the signature much.

You could try a simple Bluetooth receiver to start with, which would at the minimum help you go wireless. If that does not help much, you could try a warmer sounding amp such as Marantz, NAD, etc. Also, see if you can somehow EQ the sound a bit on the phone to suit your tastes.

MaSh

Oh no. But I don’t want to let go of MF A1. Only after listening to A1, I realised so many tracks I have heard multiple times in the past, have sounded entirely different with much more detail and better instrument separation. I think the speakers need some tuning to be done.

Looks like Fluance - SX6 is a bright sounding speaker and when SMSL was powering it, the lows and mids were at normal levels. However, A1 has broader soundstage for mids and this combo could be the reason for system being too bright. As you have pointed out, I’m using Thirdparty music players with custom EQ to control the highs.

I have Oppo 103 and not happy with it. I am not sure if there is any good blue ray player which perform well as a transport.
Oh, what is it lacking? I was on the verge of picking one up a couple of weeks back but held back.

Oh no. But I don’t want to let go of MF A1. Only after listening to A1, I realised so many tracks I have heard multiple times in the past, have sounded entirely different with much more detail and better instrument separation. I think the speakers need some tuning to be done.

Looks like Fluance - SX6 is a bright sounding speaker and when SMSL was powering it, the lows and mids were at normal levels. However, A1 has broader soundstage for mids and this combo could be the reason for system being too bright. As you have pointed out, I’m using Thirdparty music players with custom EQ to control the highs.

Okay, then, in that case, you will have to look elsewhere. If iPhone is going to be your source then would strongly suggest a USB DAC at the minimum or a Bluetooth receiver such as the TPLink or Logitech. A step up from these would be the Allo Digione.

Also, which cables do you use, speaker and interconnect?

MaSh

Why don't you use a simple laptop, with fully optimized windows and foobar as music player as your source ?

Yes that is also a good idea, if you are game with a simple Windows based PC, then PM me as I have a Foxconn Intel based all-in-one PC lying unused since long. I had posted on the For Sale section as well.

Oh, what is it lacking? I was on the verge of picking one up a couple of weeks back but held back.

Okay, then, in that case, you will have to look elsewhere. If iPhone is going to be your source then would strongly suggest a USB DAC at the minimum or a Bluetooth receiver such as the TPLink or Logitech. A step up from these would be the Allo Digione.

MaSh

I have Bluerigger 3.5mm to RCA converter cable used to connect iPhone to the amp. And from amp to the speakers i have Monoprice 12 gauge speaker cables. Do you suspect cables cause system to sound bright?

I have Bluerigger 3.5mm to RCA converter cable used to connect iPhone to the amp. And from amp to the speakers i have Monoprice 12 gauge speaker cables. Do you suspect cables cause system to sound bright?

I consider cables as a kind of eq. They all have a slight effect on sound. It's like the sause you add on your icecream.

MaSh

MaSh

It is not giving the same quality as I play CD if I play Flac using Oppo ( hard disk).

It is not giving the same quality as I play CD if I play Flac using Oppo ( hard disk).
But FLAC and CD will never sound the same right? I tried comparing the same FLAC track ripped from the original cd, and they both sound different. FLAC is nowhere as good as playing the cd.

MaSh

I consider cables as a kind of eq. They all have a slight effect on sound. It's like the sause you add on your icecream.

MaSh
There are several reviews about SX6 and it’s tweeters exaggerated response to high frequencies. Apart from using EQ to cut down high frequencies between 1khz to 4 kHz, does covering/sealing the tweeters with a foam or thin cotton fabric help absorb some of the high frequencies?

But FLAC and CD will never sound the same right? I tried comparing the same FLAC track ripped from the original cd, and they both sound different. FLAC is nowhere as good as playing the cd.

MaSh

I am not sure about that, if you have ripped it properly it should be good as CD play back that was my assumption?
FLAC is lossless no?

I am not sure about that, if you have ripped it properly it should be good as CD play back that was my assumption?
FLAC is lossless no?

Yeh, that was exactly the Test I was doing and the result was they are not the same. Cd playback is unbeatable unfortunately. Yeh ripping methods could wary the result, but I am not sure, not make it the same.

There are several reviews about SX6 and it’s tweeters exaggerated response to high frequencies. Apart from using EQ to cut down high frequencies between 1khz to 4 kHz, does covering/sealing the tweeters with a foam or thin cotton fabric help absorb some of the high frequencies?

Hmm well, that could also result in other unwanted results, veiled sound quality, improper staging, no?

MaSh

Why don't you use a simple laptop, with fully optimized windows and foobar as music player as your source ?
That’s a great piece of advice! But the problem I foresee is that the laptop can’t stay connected to the current setup all the time. Keeping it near the amp in the TV cabinet is going to be difficult if I have to use small cables running between the devices.

MaSh
Did you compare with the same CD player or different CD player? Clocking mechanism may be different when used with different player.

Did you compare with the same CD player or different CD player? Clocking mechanism may be different when used with different player.
No no obviously my own cd on my own audio cd player. FLAC played on my htpc all connected to same setup

MaSh

That’s a great piece of advice! But the problem I foresee is that the laptop can’t stay connected to the current setup all the time. Keeping it near the amp in the TV cabinet is going to be difficult if I have to use small cables running between the devices.

Here is my barebones PC size of a notebook for sale - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/foxconn-intel-atom-barebones-pc-4gb-ram.59238/

Let me know if it interests you and I can send some more pics for you.

Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back