Digital Phono Pre-Amplifier- Anybody interested?

IMO film based analogue projection in theaters had much richer colour, contrat, brightness and resolution compared to the current digital screening no mater whatever the pixel size. Period.
Thats an example of bad setup. We dont know what is being used. Its for commercial use so obviously cost is a big constraint. And it suits the market. An average cinema goer doesnt care, so the market has just evolved to suit him/her.

One question regarding the vinyl being manufactured today, does it go thru the digital process before cutting vinyl?

One question regarding the vinyl being manufactured today, does it go thru the digital process before cutting vinyl?

Yes, most of them. If recorded and processed purely in analog domain, you'll find the record sleeve tomtoming that fact, rather loudly. But that does not make it automatically superior to something recorded and edited and mastered in the digital domain. What matters is how good were the mics used, the mic-ing techniques used, the type of processing done, the skill and sensibility of the mastering engineer and the producer (yes, it's very subjective!), the quality of vinyl used, etc.

But having said all that, let's not turn this thread into an analog versus digital war (we've been through enough of those, haven't we? :))

These days in a lot of films, different layers are either shot separately or a few created in computer graphics and composited. For example Life of Pi, the water, tiger, etc is all computer graphics. The characters are shot on a blue background and then composited with the other layers. All this is possible only in digital medium.

Yes, most of them. If recorded and processed purely in analog domain,
The only way a digital copy can be avoided is if the some sort of master is cut live. Otherwise a digital copy is needed making the whole point of going analogue moot

IMO film based analogue projection in theaters had much richer colour, contrat, brightness and resolution compared to the current digital screening no mater whatever the pixel size. Period.
That is not a digital vs film or analog issue. Before Digital Intermediates came into the picture, Cinematographers had to rely heavily on using various filter lenses to capture or create a certain mood. The processing labs were expensive and was way more inconvenient to reprocess film to the way director desired.
Now digital has made things much easier to get the color,hue right because you can see 10 different variations of the same shot and get it approved by the director.
Now the quality of projection can be the issue as each individual theater owner has his/her budget constrains. Calibration need not be accurate in theaters because of that. So Digital is better in every way possible, than film stocks of yore.

Can a parametric equalizer be used as a phono pre-amp with the correct EQ? Curious to know.
No.

How did you reach this conclusion? Isnt it a perception? Objectively there is no debate, digital surpassed analogue long time back. Film cameras, audio or video etc. Its not about personal preferences, its about facts. There were problems with digital earlier, agreed, but the current state of digital makes analog pointless. Though people may prefer analog but thats a different thing altogether.

I did not! I belong to the 'For Digital Post-processor Group,' though I am good at analog design. From your responses, I think you do too. So we are in the same boat. I also have no inclination towards Vinyl and tubes as I firmly believe that it is a long outdated technoloogy.
Give me any semiconductor amp and My DSP and I will match any tube amp sound.
So, again, I think I am on your side.

Film projectors had uneven light illumination with light falling as you went away from the center. Today's Zenon lamp based projectors have much better picture quality.

The only way a digital copy can be avoided is if the some sort of master is cut live. Otherwise a digital copy is needed making the whole point of going analogue moot

Or buy old recordings which have a known provenance of pure analog. These are usually upto the late 70s.

I do have many early LPs from the early days of digital. Like records from the 50s to 70s done in analog, or those done in digital after the late 70s, some sound good, and some sound bad. I don't believe the use of digital was to blame. What I'm trying to reach at is that a purely analog chain is not a prerequisite for good to great sounding LPs. And hence no need to be dogmatic about "analogness".

Film projectors had uneven light illumination with light falling as you went away from the center. Today's Zenon lamp based projectors have much better picture quality.
What ever the current technology it is no match for the vintage based projectors to my eyes. period.

I did not! I belong to the 'For Digital Post-processor Group,' though I am good at analog design. From your responses, I think you do too. So we are in the same boat. I also have no inclination towards Vinyl and tubes as I firmly believe that it is a long outdated technoloogy.
So, again, I think I am on your side.
We are meeting in the last week of May @ Thane as tentatively planned. I am using a modified 300B tube amp. We can compare your amp + speaker with mine.

Any FM who want to be part of the comparison are welcomed after PM to me.

Thanks.

Isnt a gain stage at the input a necessity?
Yes!

We are meeting in the last week of May @ Thane as tentatively planned. I am using a modified 300B tube amp. We can compare your amp + speaker with mine.

Any FM who want to be part of the comparison are welcomed after PM to me.

Thanks.

DSP + Chip-amp v/s Tubes!!

DOA will be the reaction. Don't print tickets.

Regards,

Ravindra.

How did you reach this conclusion? Isnt it a perception? Objectively there is no debate, digital surpassed analogue long time back. Film cameras, audio or video etc. Its not about personal preferences, its about facts. There were problems with digital earlier, agreed, but the current state of digital makes analog pointless. Though people may prefer analog but thats a different thing altogether.
Imagine two lovers, one namely 'Digital' and his partner 'Analogue' separated years back are meeting once again. As their name suggests, they differ in their taste, preference and attitude. He had loved her in the reflection of times in late fifties to mid seventies. Flamboyant and demanding. Analogue had long beautiful hair tinted with a smooth varying shade of mustard. A retro style. She had captivating eyes and long curvaceous eye lashes. A bright red layer of lip stick was exploding her fuller and luscious lips. The deep red saree with a combination of muted golden dots accentuated her unique sense of style. He was mad after her. But she was ignoring him. As he was a novice and struggling to be pitted against her. He wanted her love to have faith in him as he had the courage to outsign. Wanted her to give him sometime so that both of them can sing their love story forever. But she was lost in her bewilderness and slowly they were losing faith in each other. She forgot that her beauty and galore is loosing its lustre. During those days Digital was evolving and Analogue's charm was fading away.
Digital has gone through many phases of turmoil since they parted. He is now more suave, sophisticated than before. Unlike yesteryears, he now sports a modern variation of cool hairstyle with fades, undercuts, quiffs and slick backs. His sense of dressing supported by iconic imagery featuring his inimitable style. His audience are unable to comprehend the effect of his charm on them. Their support for him has grown over thousand times and he wished Analogue to be there to see him where he could reach today. But does Analogue at all exist? Her seductive smile still hunt him. Can he still see her lady love blossomed as before. That shocked Digital to a drift. He is immaculate, smart and invincible. He has made his days and nights together to over power her in a grit of vengeance and gut feeling. Digital knew by now she might have been mingled in the dust.
Can a resurrection possible ? Can she again resurrect from the dust to show her strength of her hay days. Can she again throw him out in to the oblivion. If there exists an 'Audio Life Cycle' involving Digital and Analogue ? Then when is the Digital peak about to happen ?

@Hari Iyer

I also have no inclination towards Vinyl and tubes as I firmly believe that it is a long outdated technoloogy.

I said DSP + Analog can be taken very close to Tubes or equal them. It is subjective.
So I regarded Tubes to be better and was only talking of taking DSP + semiconductor amp near the tube quality.
Never disgraced any technology or said one is superior to another

I am not saying this to cover-up. I had said this here. Read line 2. : https://www.hifivision.com/threads/what-changed-with-digital-audio.69388/#post-763012

I also gave a technical explanation as to where and how semiconductor and tube amps differ here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ing-of-full-range-speakers.69961/#post-770374
......and went on to even reveal, to a good extent, how semiconductor amps can be made to sound like tubes.

As a designer I cannot motivate myself to design using tubes. What is wrong with that?

Nothing personal from my side and I hope that we are good. Ok?

But we will still go ahead and compare the two as audio buffs.
If anyone is willing to offer a good demo room where we can conduct this, we will be very grateful.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Imagine two lovers, one namely 'Digital' and his partner 'Analogue' separated years back are meeting once again. As their name suggests, they differ in their taste, preference and attitude. He had loved her in the reflection of times in late fifties to mid seventies. Flamboyant and demanding. Analogue had long beautiful hair tinted with a smooth varying shade of mustard. A retro style. She had captivating eyes and long curvaceous eye lashes. A bright red layer of lip stick was exploding her fuller and luscious lips. The deep red saree with a combination of muted golden dots accentuated her unique sense of style. He was mad after her. But she was ignoring him. As he was a novice and struggling to be pitted against her. He wanted her love to have faith in him as he had the courage to outsign. Wanted her to give him sometime so that both of them can sing their love story forever. But she was lost in her bewilderness and slowly they were losing faith in each other. She forgot that her beauty and galore is loosing its lustre. During those days Digital was evolving and Analogue's charm was fading away.
Digital has gone through many phases of turmoil since they parted. He is now more suave, sophisticated than before. Unlike yesteryears, he now sports a modern variation of cool hairstyle with fades, undercuts, quiffs and slick backs. His sense of dressing supported by iconic imagery featuring his inimitable style. His audience are unable to comprehend the effect of his charm on them. Their support for him has grown over thousand times and he wished Analogue to be there to see him where he could reach today. But does Analogue at all exist? Her seductive smile still hunt him. Can he still see her lady love blossomed as before. That shocked Digital to a drift. He is immaculate, smart and invincible. He has made his days and nights together to over power her in a grit of vengeance and gut feeling. Digital knew by now she might have been mingled in the dust.
Can a resurrection possible ? Can she again resurrect from the dust to show her strength of her hay days. Can she again throw him out in to the oblivion. If there exists an 'Audio Life Cycle' involving Digital and Analogue ? Then when is the Digital peak about to happen ?
You elaborated in a very interesting way.

Hello all,

Since we are going back and forth with Semiconductor based amps and Tubes, I thought I will give references to something with best of both worlds.
I did not start a new thread as I found there is already something to this tune on our forum. So I am just giving the links here to bump it up:

1. https://korgnutube.com/en/
2. https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/design-of-a-korg-nutube-amplifier-part-1-tube-basics
3. https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/design-of-a-korg-nutube-amplifier-part-2-prototype
4. https://www.rs-online.com/designspa...be-amplifier-part-3-pcb-computer-aided-design

5. https://www.hifivision.com/search/17861/?q=Nutube&o=date

I hope that you like it!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Wow!! I have never come across topics related to hi-fi, written in such a way. Really interesting and captivating.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back