Digitalizing Vinyl

matbhuvi

Anyone ventured into digitalizing vinyl to hi-res audio? I mean more than redbook 44khz.

I am wondering how feeding directly into quality sound card would differ from using usb players like Sony PS-HX500 which supports recording at DSD quality as well.

I've done many vinyl rips.

Overall for a relaxed listening it's better option.

A critical listening will however leave you longing for more.

Listening to music on vinyl is not only listening to analog but also the process, the actual holding of something physical in your hand. These things enhance the pleasure of listening it on vinyl.

Now coming back to digitalizing the vinyls also called vinyl ripping.

You can try your hands on it. Based on your preference you may either keep them intact or may fiddle with some noise reduction and general SQ.

I liked some rips and hated some.

Any rip will never sound better then vinyl no matter what sound card you employ.
Digital music is as good as the source unless fiddled with.

Any record player that has a usb is not a record player.... It's a toy.

Totally agree on the cheapo $100-$200 models. But, the latest Sony version is priced at $600. It also go pretty decent reviews.

If i pass on that and get a Rega RP1 or if i get lucky and get a AT 1200, is it possible to feed the output directly to a PC soundcard?

The output of a TT has to be RIAA equalized and pumped up to be a line level signal.

Either your TT should have a phono preamp built in or you'd have to route it through a phono preamp first.

Then only the signal can be fed into a soundcard's line-in jack.

The Sony PS-HX500 you have mentioned does seem to have a phono preamp built in, so yes in case of this particular TT you can feed it's output to a souncard directly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mostly inbuilt phonostages in TT are of poor quality. Its always better to bypass internal phonostage and use a good quality external phonostage for superior performance.
Good quality doesn't mean expensive.
BTW that Sony doesn't look very promising. Tonearm looks very basic. You can get far better vintage TT at $600.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
playing a LP in a quality setup is an experience of its own, I use Techincs 1210+CA 640P+Marantz sr 5010+ JBL ES80 and the result is excellent, but playing LPs all the time isn't a good option, so I have a dedicated digitizing set up Project debut III (shure M 97 Xe)+CA 540P+Behringer uca 202, and some of the 320 kbps MP3 sounds better than the CD, but the source really matters, cleaner the LP is better will be the result, in that case one does not have to use features of audacity, thats why for quality ripping I use Okki Nokki record cleaner and I have seen results which is very very close to the original, but not all the time....

digitizing is convenient, but can never replace original playback, putting a record on the platter and placing the tonearm on to the record is a heavenly feeling.....

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back