Direct Drive Vs Belt Drive

hemantwaghe

Banned
Banned
Old war.May be discussed here .if it is discussed @ mod please merge this thread

Source -=cnet

Panasonic to discontinue Technics turntables? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

part of the news

That said, direct-drive turntables never really caught on with the audiophile crowd; we prefer belt-drive models. You see, the direct-drive motor's high torque instantly gets the platter up to speed from a dead stop, which is why Technics 'tables were prized by DJs.
But the powerful motors transmit whatever noise and vibration they make directly to the record, which in turn is picked up by the stylus. Belt-drive motors are decoupled from the platter by the belt, which virtually eliminates the transmission of motor noise. That's why companies like Linn, Rega, and VPI make nothing but belt-drive turntables.

Read more: Panasonic to discontinue Technics turntables? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

So REALLY BELT DRIVES ARE BETTER??
Please provide info.And real life expereinces..

I think I am instigatiting malavi,gobble and many members ,but hey ..what are forum buddies are!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Having lived with belt drive, idler drive and direct drive turn tables, i can say that all three designs, when implemented properly are as good as each other...

having said that, technics' direct drive turntables have stood the test of time and have challenged the most silent belt drives. Case in point Technics' legendary SP10.

Belt drives, i believe are a whole lot easier to implement and control the noise factor... hence more popular as a standard for audiophile grade TT's.

Old war.May be discussed here .if it is discussed @ mod please merge this thread

Source -=cnet

Panasonic to discontinue Technics turntables? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

part of the news

That said, direct-drive turntables never really caught on with the audiophile crowd; we prefer belt-drive models. You see, the direct-drive motor's high torque instantly gets the platter up to speed from a dead stop, which is why Technics 'tables were prized by DJs.
But the powerful motors transmit whatever noise and vibration they make directly to the record, which in turn is picked up by the stylus. Belt-drive motors are decoupled from the platter by the belt, which virtually eliminates the transmission of motor noise. That's why companies like Linn, Rega, and VPI make nothing but belt-drive turntables.

Read more: Panasonic to discontinue Technics turntables? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

So REALLY BELT DRIVES ARE BETTER??
Please provide info.And real life expereinces..

I think I am instigatiting malavi,gobble and many members ,but hey ..what are forum buddies are!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hi Hemant,

I think its important to understand first why a belt is used? If it is simply to isolate the motor vibration from the platter, and perhaps the electrical interference to the cartridge, then to rid yourself of the belt would require a quiet, smooth running well-sheilded motor - an expensive option. I've heard talk of 'cogging' of motors which is also isolated by using a belt - but in the search for perfect pitch and stable speed this buffer is simply a budget solution - usually coupled with the use of a budget motor by small companies with small R&D budgets.

Usually when people compare the two methods they are not comparing like for like. Talk of Linn Sondeks outperforming budget Japanese DJ turntables is just ridiculous - an SL1210 will waste a Garrard SP25mkIV but the drive chosen is but a small part of the equation and does not prove direct drives superiority, simply that if you spend more you should expect better quality

Most of the truly great Japanese direct drives also use little or no suspension and huge plinths to isolate the deck from vibration, while most belt-drives use sprung suspension and this makes a big difference to the sound produced.

Its difficult to talk about the differences between the two drive methods without taking these variables into account. However my preference is for DD if properly applied (Trio L07D, SP10) and for belt drive for cheaper decks (Rega, Thorens) where belt drive provides a more cost effective solution. I also think most people who hate DD have made the decision after hearing a budget deck, or simply believe that the Japanese, who produce some of the best DD turntables, don't know a thing about sound quality.

Ref: Vinyl Engine

Regards,

Sachin

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back