Disappointed with the performence of my new Taga Harmony-tsw-200 sub

ROSHAN PASWAN

Few days ago I bought taga harmony tsw-200 the 12 inch sub and a pair of bookshelf speakers (taga harmony tav-616s) for my initial 2.1 setup with my AVR Sony str-dh770 7.2 reciver. I connected the bookshelf speakers with amazon basics 14 awg wire and the sub with blue digger coaxial digital cable. Before auto calibration i tune the crossover of the sub to maximum & sub volume to just below the middle (approx 47%). After finishing the auto calibration the screen shows that my ambience detected lots of noise so, it should be performed again with a silent environment but I ignored it and opt for the option save and exit. Then I set the size of front speakers to "small". And even hadnot seen the frequencies and distance-magnitude .Then inserted pen drive played some mp3 songs but not satisfied with the performence of either speakers or of subwoofer. Then connected laptop with AVR and played a flac song file of asha bhosle by means of 5kplayer. Then suddenly my speakers got life but I didn't feel any strong bass and punches . Only when I played 4k king kong movie clip from youtube then I noticed some little punch effects.

Now my question is that what kind of manual settings can I do to get the basses and punches or i have to play dolby and dts movies to achieve it. I have also planned to upgrade it with taga harmony tav -606 SE to complete 7.1 configuration in next 2/3 weeks. Shall I go for it or skip taga.

Try one thing. Reset the receivers settings. Get a DB meter app for mobile phone. Run a test tone and increase the loudness to about 85 db. Trust you ears for how loud each speaker plays and set it manually according to your judgement. Hit the crossover to 80 or 90 and put the volume of the subwoofer to 50%. Play some movies and see how it feels...and make adjustments to your liking. Oh by the way, do a subwoofer crawl, if you haven't already.
All that said, You should really do something about the ambient noise because it really is the worst thing to have when enjoying audio. Sometimes the ceiling fan also makes enough noise for the receiver to fail auto setup.

Few days ago I bought taga harmony tsw-200 the 12 inch sub and a pair of bookshelf speakers (taga harmony tav-616s) for my initial 2.1 setup with my AVR Sony str-dh770 7.2 reciver. I connected the bookshelf speakers with amazon basics 14 awg wire and the sub with blue digger coaxial digital cable. Before auto calibration i tune the crossover of the sub to maximum & sub volume to just below the middle (approx 47%). After finishing the auto calibration the screen shows that my ambience detected lots of noise so, it should be performed again with a silent environment but I ignored it and opt for the option save and exit. Then I set the size of front speakers to "small". And even hadnot seen the frequencies and distance-magnitude .Then inserted pen drive played some mp3 songs but not satisfied with the performence of either speakers or of subwoofer. Then connected laptop with AVR and played a flac song file of asha bhosle by means of 5kplayer. Then suddenly my speakers got life but I didn't feel any strong bass and punches . Only when I played 4k king kong movie clip from youtube then I noticed some little punch effects.

Now my question is that what kind of manual settings can I do to get the basses and punches or i have to play dolby and dts movies to achieve it. I have also planned to upgrade it with taga harmony tav -606 SE to complete 7.1 configuration in next 2/3 weeks. Shall I go for it or skip taga.

Hi

Run the auto calibration again and ensure that Front speakers are set to small and bass cut off...(freq to sub) is set to 100hz...later you can manually trim to 110 or 120 or even 90...

Subwoofer placement also is important....if you can share a pic of its current placement and other spots will help us to guide you further...

Subwoofer volume should be always 50% -55% before running setup.....

Hope your source files (mp3) are good quality 320kbps or atleast 160kbps...it matters....

There is a dedicated Taga owners thread...possibly of you post this challenge there...you could get immediate attention from owners who can share their experience on best solutions..

I think you have done the manual set-up / Auto calibration set-up correctly.. But always good to revisit/tweak the settings if necessary..

There is also a chance that some of the DSP presets on the AVR (Pure Audio, staright), can bypass/override the calibrated settings and play only thru the bookshelf (2.0) for stereo & not utilizing sub (2.1)..

If you have the AVR manual, kindly check what preset does which function and then engage one of them during playback and observe for difference if any..

I have dual subs (Taga Platinum SW 10v.2), capable of 20Hz (measured in-room response) & couldn't be more happier with it for the price i paid..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back