Discrete Dynamics Class A Pre-Amplifier

Nice!!
I'm also hunting for a chassis enclosure.
AudioCrafts website states that enclosures are "Coming Soon"
Cheers,
Raghu

I still have to find someone who can fabricate an aluminium body like that, with good finishing. Will take my time to get it done right. The Schitt products have that kind of finish, but can't find anyone who can do it locally. Would appreciate any help if anyone knows where I can find one.

Tuff, that's a very sophisticated look. I'm sure there will be many takers for that cabinet !!

First issue is finding a local source, Second issue is finding a source who can take the enclosure upto that perfection as seen in the 3D model. Even if someone manages, then next issue will be the cost. For just one piece no one will be easily ready to take the order, unless he is getting his desired cost. Also even after giving him the demanded $$$$ he will take his own time to deliver and will treat as if he is doing a favor on buyer.

First issue is finding a local source, Second issue is finding a source who can take the enclosure upto that perfection as seen in the 3D model. Even if someone manages, then next issue will be the cost. For just one piece no one will be easily ready to take the order, unless he is getting his desired cost. Also even after giving him the demanded $$$$ he will take his oQuite wn time to deliver and will treat as if he is doing a favor on buyer.
True words, Sadik bhai !!

Is there any way to add a remote control to this pre?
Cheers,
Sid
There are motorised pots which we can use, but they will cost you. Or, an Arduino kit can be built to get the functionality.

First issue is finding a local source, Second issue is finding a source who can take the enclosure upto that perfection as seen in the 3D model. Even if someone manages, then next issue will be the cost. For just one piece no one will be easily ready to take the order, unless he is getting his desired cost. Also even after giving him the demanded $$$$ he will take his own time to deliver and will treat as if he is doing a favor on buyer.
Thanks for the heads up. As this is my first time i am doing something like this, i figured i might be getting a bit too ambitious about this. So depending on the availability, i might have to do some adjustments. Should teach me a few things along the process.;)

Nice!!
Cheers,
Raghu

What size are you looking for as I have a spare Pass B1+CNC phono stage chassis that we made as part of the group buy some years ago by our FM @nraghunadh. I have made an aluminium front panel instead of the wooden panel. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks

Nice!!
Cheers,
Raghu
That has been the status on that website for at least 2 years now. I smile whenever I see that section. :)

Thanks for the heads up. As this is my first time i am doing something like this, i figured i might be getting a bit too ambitious about this. So depending on the availability, i might have to do some adjustments. Should teach me a few things along the process.;)
The glass (never do transparent acrylic) fascia is totally possible and will not cost much too. I suggest that you check for a decently finished sheet metal chassis. Powder coat it or get it painted in automotive paint - you will be pleasantly surprised how good it will look. Concentrate on the glass fascia. Think vinyl backing behind the glass! You can quality print vinyl in whatever print you choose to. The possibilities are endless!

That has been the status on that website for at least 2 years now. I smile whenever I see that section. :)
Haha. Didn't know this. Thanks.
I think it would be nice if they can actually stock at least something though.
Anyways, it is their business, and they have their considerations.
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes whenever I speak to him regarding the same the site owner Mr. Aminder says like he does not have the time to update :)

Anyway you can contact him on mobile/whats app and he responds back. I have got 3-4 custom chassis done through him and they are very good for the price. I would say contact him on his mobile 9 8 9 9 8 6 7 7 4 6 and discuss your requirement but you need have patience as he does slowly. Above all I have always paid him only once the chassis is ready and he never asked me to make either full or part payment upfront.
I think many forum members have got the chassis and other things through him and he is based out of Delhi.

Thanks

A very happy user here:)

I will change all the RCA sockets of my cabinet to something new from Neutrik. I'm re-using an old buffer cabinet. Acrylic front panel also needs to change to suit volume knob and headphone jack position.

One thing that has been bothering me with this preamp is the limited travel of the volume pot. Most of the songs that I listen to need to be heard between 7 and 8 O'clock, approximately (6 O'clock being zero position). Volume adjustments need to be done within this narrow range, so every adjustment of the volume knob needed to be a fine adjustment.

So today I desoldered the 100K linear Alps pot (tough job!) and tried a 50K log pot (Alps Blue Velvet). A comfortable volume level is now around 11 O'clock or lesser and adjustments no longer need to be very fine like before. I'll listen to this for some days. If I don't hear adverse effects, I'll probably buy a linear 50K pot and fit it.

Good job Sadik

Nice design tuff
But keep in mind

Acylic
doesn't age well
Micro scratches over time
Are possible if your environment is dusty and you have to keep wiping
However I do understand it's choice due to the ease of working with that material in terms of getting the jet black shine

You might have to figure how you scew in the plate to the chasis though.

So just keep handling to a minimum to keep that faceplate as new

Though
Glass is. Better option
Ofcourse counterboring in glass has its own issues

One thing that has been bothering me with this preamp is the limited travel of the volume pot. Most of the songs that I listen to need to be heard between 7 and 8 O'clock, approximately (6 O'clock being zero position). Volume adjustments need to be done within this narrow range, so every adjustment of the volume knob needed to be a fine adjustment.

So today I desoldered the 100K linear Alps pot (tough job!) and tried a 50K log pot (Alps Blue Velvet). A comfortable volume level is now around 11 O'clock or lesser and adjustments no longer need to be very fine like before. I'll listen to this for some days. If I don't hear adverse effects, I'll probably buy a linear 50K pot and fit it.

I'm waiting for this report
Also check the hiss level

In the silence between tracks
That's important

Check if there's any static noise as well
If audible more than 6 inches away from speaker

my cabinet is also almost done
just waiting to sort the volume control

Last edited by a moderator:
So today I desoldered the 100K linear Alps pot (tough job!) and tried a 50K log pot (Alps Blue Velvet).

Report after a few days of usage: bass weight is better with the Alps Blue Velvet pot. I will stick with this. Also, I've been playing lots of music and the comfortable listening range is approx 9 to 11 O'clock depending on the recording level.

Finished a build for magma:
PAM13 top view.jpeg

PAM13 Front View.jpeg

PAM13 Rear.jpeg

PAM13 Three-fourths.jpeg

It's configured for three sources, selectable via a 3-way relay based source selector. R-Core transformer used is from Shilchar. It has two secondaries, namely, 18-0-18V for the Preamp circuit, and 12-0V for the source selector. Pot is 50K log, Alps Blue Velvet.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back