Ditch DTH !!??

The ease of switching on TV and swiping through channels is not yet available on streaming apps.

MaSh
Totally agree, the ease of switching channels is a must, especially for my parents. I hope Jio starts with an unlimited plan or maybe they enable JioTv on Jio fiber.

I recently ditched Airtel DTH and took local cable. They are providing all every channels including HD for 300 per month. Why spend a premium on these private providers like Airtel and Tata Sky. As @MaSh mentioned, online streaming is still not there with the cable in terms of ease of switching channels and you need to keep rotating between each app like prime, hotstar, netflix to find your content. So I keep prime and Netflix for movies and series, but strongly rely on cable for news and live sports.

I have been thinking of doing it in recent months. Have reduced by monthly cable bill to just keep sports + Basic pack which they force you to take.

Problem is Hotstar, Sony Liv is horrible in streaming sports. Streaming quality is poor and it stops/hangs every now and then. Once that is sorted, I will probably go ahead with 'cord cutting' too.

Is it possible to watch Upcoming FIFA World Cup online at Live Streaming? Paid or Free?
I have 40 Mbps No FUP Broadband Connection.
Also I like to know about Netflix Subscription - is it possible to buy it like Amazon prime for 1 Year Subscription or like prepaid. So far I learn it needs to link Card..Don't want to link any card.
Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:
For your first question, I think google is your best friend. I would not like to share any websites here, but if you google it, I think there are plenty of options available for free and paid viewing as well.

To answer your second question, I do not think a full year subscription is available (it may have changed now, but around 7-8 months back when I did have Netflix, it was not there). I again think the best and easy option would be to go to netflix.com and check personally, for the options that you are looking at.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Sony
Is it possible to watch Upcoming FIFA World Cup online at Live Streaming? Paid or Free?
Also I like to know about Netflix Subscription - is it possible to buy it like Amazon prime for 1 Year Subscription or like prepaid. So far I learn it needs to link Card..Don't want to link any card.
Sony Liv is streaming world cup live. You can buy their subscription.

Netflix has Rs800 plan. It can be shared with 4 people. It will be Rs200 per person. This plan also gives you 4k HDR. Netflix doesn't have yearly plans

Hello Everyone,
Since Internet rates have dropped substantially and unlimited data has become affordable is there a way to completely ditch DTH/Cable connections and just hookup the TV to the internet and watch all channels ?
I mean why pay a hefty price for HD channels?
Also with the Internet connection we can get uninterrupted viewing expereince irrespective of weather conditions.

Any ideas/suggestions /review?
Possible /not possible?

Hello Everyone,
Since Internet rates have dropped substantially and unlimited data has become affordable is there a way to completely ditch DTH/Cable connections and just hookup the TV to the internet and watch all channels ?
I mean why pay a hefty price for HD channels?
Also with the Internet connection we can get uninterrupted viewing expereince irrespective of weather conditions.

Any ideas/suggestions /review?
Possible /not possible?
That's what the DTH operators have sensed and are coming down with the pricing of their HD package. Well if you have elders and children at hope then DTH is must

I have subscribed netflix, and used my card. They automatically debit it on a monthly basis. I dont think there is an y option to subscribe, without a credit card.

On paid streaming, SonyLiv is official streamer for India. But check out their streaming quality (i think you can sign up for free trial), my experience is pathetic so far for live sports. Live sports need high/smooth Frame-rates and it looks pretty bad for me even at 150 mbps connection.

On Netflix, I have been using over a year without much issue. They do charge monthly using your card details, I think it is safe considering its a trusted brand worldwide. You can sign up for free 1 month trial as well (but needs card still).

That time is not here yet, maybe in another couple of years. Internet scene has improved a lot in the last few years but connections from local cable operators still leave a lot to be desired. These people do not care to improve their infrastructure and equipment, if the connection goes down then there are hardly qualified people around to troubleshoot. With more and more people in the network there is congestion and increasing reliability issues. Things are heading in the right direction yes, but not quite there yet.

I for one would scream my head off if the stream fails during the world cup, even though I have SonyLiv subscription and watched UCL that way for certain matches, that tells me I better watch it on regular DTH/Cable and hold off on Internet alone plans for sometime at least.

Jio tv app on pc--->tv via HDMI is the best option that suits me as it comes at no additional cost, also we can watch previously missed programs, using it for 6-7 months. And as the pc runs on home internet connection, no worries about jio's daily limit. But I agree to the fact that there are limitations like old age & children cannot operate it properly, also live tv channels are delayed by 3-5 mins.

I used to have airtel hd with all hd channels. But now have mi tv with jio tv installed. I not at all require cable now. Jio tv runs smoothly.

On JioTV, Hotstar, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. Now nearing 4 years since I ditched Tata Sky.

But yes some issues with streaming sports, especially IPL it blanked in the middle of a couple of matches and buffered badly for around 10 minutes. However, happened only 2 times and not in the knockout stages or finals, so not much of an issue.

Is it feasible to completely ditch DTH and rely solely on internet for a typical household?
I mean I have a 4 bedroom flat and there are 4 members in my family. I have N300 routers and extenders. Every family members wants and expects to use internet(watch/listen media, browse or game etc) at his/her own convenience.
So my query is that what should be the required bandwidth for peak load for
a. internet connection
b. throughput of the network.
if each member is watching 4k HDR content and as I read that 25mbps is recommended for 4k on Netflix then it would mean a minimum of 100mbps. Besides there are a lot of connected gadgets making demand on the network like CCTVs, downloading content, mobiles etc. So I assume that 200mbps internet connection is a minimum requirement. If we assume that all this is being done through wired ethernet connections then can a typical 300mbps N router handle this much load? Or do we have to use more than one router/switch(connected wired to main internet modem/router) to distribute this load? Or will N600 or AC routers perform better in such situation?
On the other hand if wired ethernet connections are not possible then can the problem of internet speed be solved by selecting a higher Mbps plan. I mean if 200mbps plan is required for wired situation then will say 400mbps plan be ok for using wifi network.
I am asking all this because it is impossible for me to get wired connections to each of my rooms and my only option is to use wifi.
I think that this must be true for almost every home as nobody wants open cables running around the house.
So can AC routers and extenders serve my home as outlined at the start of this post. I think then only can we ditch DTH.

A. 100Mbps connection if you plan to use more than 3-4 devices all running 4k HDR clips.

B. Ideally Gigabit Ethernet but since that's not possible due to wiring, look for mesh routers which give good range. Something like Netgear Orbi or Dlink Covr. Costs quite a bit though. The Netgear is above 20k and the Dlinkw will cost you 12k+

C. Higher Mbps plan won't help if the client receiving the internet signal is in a poor reception area. The device farthest from your router may receive only 1 or 2Mbps speed. Your internet connection speed won't matter in that case.

Will 100mbps suffice for peak load situations? Also I think 1080p on a blue ray disc reaches 35 - 40mbps so wouldn't 4k HDR in its full glory require more bandwidth?

What if I use a repeater in between.

Streaming video is usually compressed. You can easily stream Full HD clips with an 8Mbps connection. Bluray discs usually don't compress hence the size difference.

You will loose half the bandwidth everytime you use a repeater. For example, you have 2 repeaters connected to your main router. Let's say you have a 100mbps connection. The first repeater will be able to provide only 50mbps. If the second repeater is connected to the first repeater then the speed drops to half of that which will be 25mbps. Repeaters can be used for deadspots in your house but would not recommend them for daily usage. Most repeaters aren't very good and will keep dropping signal or attempt to reconnect to the main router.

It totally depends on how much tv is watched at home and by whom. If its a dink family and you watch very little tv or if it is restricted to watching movies and news ( like me) then you would not face too many problems. Still dth/ cable connections are more reliable generally as compared to internet reliability overall. So you will face some issues watching tv programs on the internet. At a national level though, i dont think it is an issue yet as 99% will still depend on the cable or dth connection cos its cost effective, reliable and already invested in.

I think the deciding factors are few in either side
1. If you have someone like my mother who thrives on regional channels then local cable operators are more value than DTH
2. If you watch prime channels mostly then DTH if fine but if you have 3-4 connections like me in a spread out out multiple floors then DTH is better since additional cost of hardwares and internet connection dependency is too much unless home is wired, Jio fiber may be ultimate option in cost effectiveness.
3. If you are too much bothered by disconnection in DTH during rains, internet is better
4. Program recording of DTH is not required on internet since it's there for many days just start when you want so convenient
5. I agree on live streaming delays on internet options
6. I am not 100 percent sure but I think variety is more on DTH or cable than internet
7. 5.1 true surrounds audio is presently oy seem to be working on limited internet devices unlike DTH.

Anyone has any idea about Ethernet over Coaxial(MoCa)? It has got very high ratings on Amazon.com.
If it can be used with my existing Tata Sky then it would solve problems associated with wifi as all my rooms have coaxial cable coming from the Tata Sky. And I think it must be true for most of the homes.
Even if it can not be used with Tata Sky then also one may use this existing infrastructure of coaxial cables in a home in lieu of Cat 5/6 cables.
But it seems like that this tech is available only in US and is not compatible with satellite dish like Tata sky or Dish.

If sending internet to all your rooms is the objective why look for a revolution which is still 5 yrs from hitting India. Instead rely on costly AC routers and repeaters . I assume your objectives are still on 4k streaming

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back