Ditch DTH !!??

Anyone has any idea about Ethernet over Coaxial(MoCa)? It has got very high ratings on Amazon.com.
If it can be used with my existing Tata Sky then it would solve problems associated with wifi as all my rooms have coaxial cable coming from the Tata Sky. And I think it must be true for most of the homes.
Even if it can not be used with Tata Sky then also one may use this existing infrastructure of coaxial cables in a home in lieu of Cat 5/6 cables.
But it seems like that this tech is available only in US and is not compatible with satellite dish like Tata sky or Dish.

If your entire house is in a single loop, look for powerline routers.

Power line does not have good reviews. Besides I have 3 phase electric connection at my home with god knows which room and which outlet on which circuit! Also at most of the outlets near entertainment units, I am using power strips which is a big no with power line. Also accoeding to reviews MoCa is giving speed almost like wired Cat connections whereas powerine is giving almost same as wifi N routers which I already have.

What reviews are you reading? Powerline can go up to Gigabit speeds if you're willing to spend.

Power strips are definitely not recommended. Don't u have a spare power port anywhere in the house? Powerline adapters come with built in Wifi as well. Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powe...UTF8&qid=1536392155&sr=1-6&keywords=powerline

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Du...D=41NUcsY11aL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Not only for internet but to stream 4k over my lan. I have wasted money and 100s of hours on wifi with various level of success. I was not able to stream blu-ray rips of 1080p over my lan over wifi so I doubt that AC routers will stream blu-ray 4k over lan.
Now I am in a mood for a permanent solution especially now with coming of 4k, bandwidth requirement is very high.
MoCa looks promising in the sense that I already have coaxial cables coming to every room from a common originating point(Tata Sky dish).

So it seems I got another person in the club who has learnt things hard way that wireless is not the nirvana. I invested in wiring LAN across rooms 6-7 years back and still reaping benefit. For you my friend how difficult it is to pass a LAN cable alongwith the DTH cable? And do you have 4k player in every room?

My other question is what is your source? 4k YouTube videos?

So finally I have ditched my DTH (TataSky) after subscribing it for 6 years. Yesterday was the last day of my current subscription. And I'm getting numerous calls from TS customer care for recharging my account. So what I have done is decided not to recharge my TS account. I checked with the TS customer care a few days back about the consequences of not doing a recharge. They said you won't be getting any channels till you recharge. No penalties etc. Account will become active once I recharge be it after 6 months, 1 year or more. So I have Youtube, Netflix & Amazon Prime to watch on my smart TV. It is now to see how long are we able to sustain this arrangement. Hope it continues for a long time as we all seem to be at peace.

What is the difference in quality of video and audio between 4k blu ray movie and same movie on Tata Sky(assuming it's 4k on Tata sky) and on Netflix etc.

A typical 4k stream will require around 20Mbps constant speed. A 4k blu ray rip will be around 4-5Mbps and proper 4k blu ray will be much higher. For reference, a typical 4k Blu ray is around 50GB in size. A 4k rip will be around 10GB and a streaming 4k file may consume 2-3GB per hour

Last edited:
What is the difference in quality of video and audio between 4k blu ray movie and same movie on Tata Sky(assuming it's 4k on Tata sky) and on Netflix etc.
I might not be able to tell you the difference as I don't have a 4K TV. But I love the PQ of Netflix on my 55 incher FHD Sammy. Even PQ of Amazon Prime is good. I think if the content which I watch is interesting of my liking the 4K, 5K, 10Ks does not matter much. A HD is enough for me.

Not only for internet but to stream 4k over my lan. I have wasted money and 100s of hours on wifi with various level of success. I was not able to stream blu-ray rips of 1080p over my lan over wifi so I doubt that AC routers will stream blu-ray 4k over lan.
Now I am in a mood for a permanent solution especially now with coming of 4k, bandwidth requirement is very high.
MoCa looks promising in the sense that I already have coaxial cables coming to every room from a common originating point(Tata Sky dish).
Size of your house?

It's a 2100 sq feet apartment. I have 2 internet connections with one router midway and the other one in the front room of the house. Neither one covers the whole floor.

Hmm, quite big enough and am assuming as many wall's. So in my opinion the best option for you is to have a multi device based network setup that relies on ensuring the throughput is unhampered across the home. There are two expensive options I see unless you wait for the DTH revolution

Option 1 is to go for a high end central WiFi router (1 or 2) for both internet connections like this

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/5-best-wi-fi-routers-streaming-gaming/

Then see if the individual room devices can cope up well, if TV's do not have WiFi AC adaptor you cannot expect a good experience and that is where WiFi media bridges in individual rooms will become helpful which will need to be wired to your in-room devices (should be shorter connection)

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AC-Media-Bridge-Access-Point/dp/B013JGDZTO

Option 2 and more reliable at this point (although research) seems to be mesh networks. Try the Netgear option, they seem to be having good reviews and if you do open a separate thread for first hand experience you may get some Like minded here.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/wireless-repeater-vs-mesh-network-81237.html

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-wireless-mesh-routers

But remember, both options are costly. Then again luxury comes at a price,

I think the best option for you is WiFi Mesh network. Some of the popular mesh network products available in the market are:

Netgear Orbi
Google Wifi
Linksys Velop

They are a costly affair, but they are one time setup, easy to set it up and can easily exceed more than 2000-3000 sq. ft. areas without any drop in network speed.

Dear all,any Jio tv app for Apple TV OS? Pls. I am using Jio tv o. Android box but want to use it on Apple TV 4 and 3, ready to jailbreak if needed,pls advice; thanks

Dear all,any Jio tv app for Apple TV OS? Pls. I am using Jio tv o. Android box but want to use it on Apple TV 4 and 3, ready to jailbreak if needed,pls advice; thanks
Which Jio TV app version do you use in your Android box ? I'm unable to run it in my Fire stick.

Which Jio TV app version do you use in your Android box ? I'm unable to run it in my Fire stick.
I downloaded it from play store, updated to latest version. For fire stick you have to side load it by using “apps to fire” & fire stick remote is not compatible with Jio tv app. U have to install remote app too

I downloaded it from play store, updated to latest version. For fire stick you have to side load it by using “apps to fire” & fire stick remote is not compatible with Jio tv app. U have to install remote app too
Guess. You didn't understand what i meant. I have sideloaded the app as you mentioned already using apps2fire. But the app says not compatible. That's why I asked which version. Probably need to check for modded version.

Guess. You didn't understand what i meant. I have sideloaded the app as you mentioned already using apps2fire. But the app says not compatible. That's why I asked which version. Probably need to check for modded version.
In this case you have to search for past versions of Jio tv app,

If you watch live sports in HD, better to stick to dth. Hotstar and sony liv stream in 720p, usually delayed 3 min and hang randomly.
It is rather related to the frames per second (fps). Even in days when the resolution was much lower, the sports or any other viewing was smooth as the relay was with 60fps. But specifically, streaming sports is for some reason (most likely limited bandwidth on mobile and limited penetration of FTTH globally) downscaled to 30fps before streaming (though capture is at 60fps) and the whole world now operates on 30fps for streaming sports. But now that 4G has happened globally, and 5G is beginning (where the spectrum made available for use is 100x of what was available in 3G/4G), most likely streaming set-ups will gradually see migration to 60fps. Then we can truly ditch DTH. I am stuck with tata Sky only for sports, and especially since I hardly watch anything else. Whether it is Hotstar or Sony LIV, they are all difficult to watch except in stills. The other difference I found is that the field of view is the original field of view in streaming apps, whereas in Tata Sky, it is a slightly zoomed in view. If you had watched the World Cup in Russia, whenever the goalkeeper took a goalkick, you could see the ball all the time till it touched the ground or a player, but if you watched on Tata Sky, the ball would disappear over the top of the screen and then come back into view after a gap. Fewer players would be seen, but they would be seen more clearly.
Having said all this, the experience of people who watch Now TV in UK (a streaming app) are very happy, and while it is not as smooth as DTH, it is better than what we have in Hotstar and Sony here.

Thanks gopi. Just an update. Between my previous post and now, I have already ditched DTH. Hotstar and sony liv, though still 720p, are streaming live, or almost live now, with no hanging. Vodafone play provides web series, news channels, etc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back