DIY 2way Speaker Questions

yatgai

I am planning to make sealed 2way Diy speakers to go along with LM3886 based chipamp. Amp will be 2 monoblocks with output of around 50W RMS

I came across Eminence Speakers, woofer Alpha 10A and tweeter ASD1001 which will need to be mounted on horn.

Speaker parameters attached ( I could not upload the data sheet as they are exceeded the limit).

My choice of music is hindi songs, hindustani instumentals at moderate volumes.

I am totally new in the field and non engineer. Can someone on this forum help me with following :

1> is it a good combination, can anyone suggest a tweeter /woofer ? preferably availabe in India on mail order.
2> any suggestions for XO point & slope with scematic & values
3> tweeter sensitivity is too high and will need to be horn loaded, I think this will make high freq music much brighter any suggestions for LPad design ?
4> woofer impedence rises at high freq any suggestions for zobel ?

Thanks for the help

Yatin

Attachments

• Eminence Driver Data.xls
    14 KB · Views: 0
i dont think there is a significant advantage in using monoblocks, save some money and go the normal way. i dont think there are many people in the world that can make out the difference between the monoblock and normal, specially with a low power amp (by that I mean not a high power amp:)).

these are pro/guitar drivers, so dont know. horns, so dont know. not everyone likes the horn sound, so first audition listen to some horn system to see if you like them.

In the home audio world, there are not many 8" woofers that can mate with a tweeter to give you a 2 way. forget about 10". but then this is a pro audio driver. check before you purchase.

designing a speaker and crossover is not a child's play. its better to stick to a proven designs. not that it cant be done. keep in mind that people who have made numerous systems take months tweaking the crossovers. cabinets also play a huge role, so be ready to experiment with that, meaning lots of wasted wood. do u have tools, woodworking skills. if not, factor in the carpenter's charges also. You need measurement equipment also. in the end, there is a chance that you will think that if i had ordered scanspeak drivers from US, it would've been cheaper.

Last edited:
+1 to doors6666.
or just get a diy kit. I believe there is a group buy going on right now.

I am planning to make sealed 2way Diy speakers to go along with LM3886 based chipamp. Amp will be 2 monoblocks with output of around 50W RMS

I came across Eminence Speakers, woofer Alpha 10A and tweeter ASD1001 which will need to be mounted on horn.

Speaker parameters attached ( I could not upload the data sheet as they are exceeded the limit).

My choice of music is hindi songs, hindustani instumentals at moderate volumes.

I am totally new in the field and non engineer. Can someone on this forum help me with following :

1> is it a good combination, can anyone suggest a tweeter /woofer ? preferably availabe in India on mail order.
2> any suggestions for XO point & slope with scematic & values
3> tweeter sensitivity is too high and will need to be horn loaded, I think this will make high freq music much brighter any suggestions for LPad design ?
4> woofer impedence rises at high freq any suggestions for zobel ?

Thanks for the help

Yatin

hi Yatin,
I thought of similar combo in the beginning but dropper the idea as anything more than 6.5" in woofer section do not suit for a home 2-way speakers. i read in few forums that compression tweeters are designed to put out more sound when used with powerful woofers. so such feature makes them ideal for PA systems. moreover compression tweeters have directional property so dont expect dispersed sound from them. after much of study i switched to 2-way speakers using 6.5" woofer and 1" dome tweeters.

regards,
pranam

What doors666 stated is very sensible suggestion. LM3886 based amp is an entry level amp like a NAD or Marantz and not resolving enough to offer any additional advantage of going the monoblock way. Considering that you are not a technical person, it would be prudent to go with a speaker kit which would also give you a box plan. Check out the group buy started by me for procuring kit from GR Research. In fact Danny is himself on our forum to answer all the queries. At $109 for a standard kit and $149 for an encore kit, you cannot go wrong. Do read all the links that I've provided there. The pair that won the Stereomojo speaker shootout is made by Skiing Ninja has upgraded components like Sonicaps $72.4 for a pair, Mills resistors $29.4 for a set of 6 (3 per speaker) and Erse XQ Inductors $60 for a pair which will be additional which has beaten many reputed brands hands down. Check your options and take a call.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back