2 way speaker build, with Horns..

looks wonderfull.you done a great job. above 800hz horn is taking all, Do you feel any honky with horns, because i feel 800hz is too low for a short horn.
sorry if i miss some thing.

Simply put, I like what I hear from these. no shouting, not horny .. but again, since I made it, may be I am partial..

short horn ? hmm, its about 1 foot in dia at the mouth, and 1 foot in depth, the box is dwarfing the horn on the top. also, I have listened to some old horns, mostly rectangular ones, compared to those, these wood horns from Viren are very different. along with modern compression drivers, the sound signature is more pleasing. musical, not the precision laser revelatory.

if I feel the urge for revealing sound, i reach for my etymotic research in-ear phones, but thats becoming very rare nowadays. I have theories about age and tastes :)

I have considered adding a super tweeter, its that urge to tweak things, but decided to leave it as it is, as I am happy the way it sounds. but like all things driven by wants, may be I will, at some point. but at that point I may have to consider active filters/mini dsp and associated paraphernalia, which goes against the minimum component philosophy on which this was built.

There is not so subtle sound change when components change. Now its driven by a cheap (75 British pound in 2004) sony receiver. but it works very well with HD video, to the point where I have put my onkyo satellites and powered Sub on sale.

I also have a flea power tube amp, and an external Schiit Dac, and I mostly listen to Blues, blues rock kind of music. and these horns really sing with that combination.

by the way, you a vintage JBL fan ?

Thinks for great explanation,we r all learners in this journey.actually i am not able to see the clear picture.thats may be my ignorance.i am using mid horn in jbl l300.the horn mids r magical.yes i am a die-hard jblcfan.thats one of the reason i build their successful model L300.
Finally ur build is awesome,really room looks awesome with those speakers

well, no technical updates. .. at all...

just some observations on "use cases" and very important "feedbacks"..

1) my son (all of goofy 8 years) insists on using the whole shebang setup for all his TV experience. So I asked why, or rather why not just the TV sound.

The detailed answer, to put it mildly, surprised me.

a) "I dont need to increase the volume sooo much to listen well, that way, mom doesn't ask me to reduce volume."
I think what this means is he can fly under the radar for much longer time, as annoyed mom doesnt intervene, as no one at home get distracted because of the loud sound

b) "its sounds much better, and nice"

wife: (very important person in everything, including floor area usage)

"sound doesn't boom around the house, and its very clear". "can listen to it for longer time"

Mom-in-law: well, you know... very very important.

"can we make one more set ?, but smaller in size" "should sound as nice"

The overall theme that is standing out is "nice", which is a very subjective explanation. and everyone can have strong opinions on how to define "nice"

and all of it made a lot of sense when I read the below, in one of Nelson Pass article.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"It relates to something I can talk about briefly, one of my favorite soap-box subjects. If you go into the literature of psychoacoustic perception, there is a very good book by Diana Deutsch at UC San Diego called The Psychology of Music and in it there are several chapters talking about how the low level neural networks of the brain take the data from the ear and what they do with it like the bureaucracy at the DMV, and you have an army of these things and for each of them the job it to make a decision what goes with what, and these are called grouping mechanisms. Each bit of the network takes disparate bits of audio information and decides whether they go together or not. The system is sensitive to such things as loudness, timing, pitch, harmonic structure and phase. Decisions are made at very low levels and then get passed upwards for increasingly more abstract decisions until the final result, the executive summary is handed to the guy who sits behind your eyes at the control panel and imagines he's in charge. So what are we doing when we play with the distortions of an amplifier? Well, we're just fooling ourselves, fooling the ear and the brain. And sometimes that's a good thing. It's plausible to me that if you tag the sound with a particular characteristic (I'm not claiming that expertise) it seems to slip more easily through these neural systems like poop through a goose, and the decision-making process is easier. There is a lot of work going on in the brain when we are talking about listening a vast army of neurons working this thing, and if you make their life easier, they aren't working as hard.

We are talking about listener fatigue, talking about people who get tired after a half hour and shut the music off versus guys who go through their entire record collection all night long.

We are literally talking about fatigue the brain gets tired.

So why do we try to fool the ear? It makes people happy. It helps them to relax while they
listen to music and try to forget all the terrible problems in the world. I'm not here to
deliberately create distortion, but if my simple little circuits are going to have some distortion

anyway, I can at least try to organize it the way I want.

Perhaps you say that it's not accurate? I say it's entertainment!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back