DIY 2x120W Dual Channel Stereo amplifier using TPA3116D2 and Bluetooth FM USB AUX Card MP3 Stereo Audio Player

sim_tcr

I have a 15 year old mini hi-fi system from Sony, Model MHC-GZR5D and the main deck stopped working from last few years.
When it worked, I really liked the way it sounded. It was loud, clear and enough bass etc. The speakers must be still in good condition.
The speaker specs shows,

MAGNETICALLY SHIELDED TYPE
RATED IMPEDANCE: 6 ohm
120W

I wanted to build a low cost amplifier to drive these speakers.
I am considering TPA3116D2 2x120W Dual Channel Stereo DC12-26V Digital High Power Amplifier Board and Bluetooth FM USB AUX Card MP3 Stereo Audio Player Decoder Module
I also want to connect it to the laptop via headphone audio out (3.5mm jack)

Is above a workable solution for me?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy

Of course. You did not mention about the power supply. I have recently built similar type of system for casual listening and it has turned out really well. I have used 24V 5Amp Metal Body SMPS (currently set around 20V)

Of course. You did not mention about the power supply. I have recently built similar type of system for casual listening and it has turned out really well. I have used 24V 5Amp Metal Body SMPS (currently set around 20V)
I plan to use 12V 30A metal body SMPS (which I already have). Will that be good enough?
I saw some online video where he say TPA3116D2 one I linked is really not 120Wx2.
Are you able to link the product which you bought?

I had bought the Class D board long back so not sure where I had purchased from. For most of the Class D boards that I had used, worked well between 19V to 21V volt so used 24V 5A (120W) SMPS. If you have the SMPS already, it is a good idea to connect and see if you like it. If not, you shall go for higher.

Here is mine. You can see USB board, TPA3116D2 (Silver knob) and Tone Board (Bass and Treble).
Unassembled.jpg

Thank you for the response.
I also found XH-M510 TDA7498 DC14-32V High Power Digital Power Amplifier Board
Its spec says, Output power - 100W+100W and Output impedance 4-8Ω
The main advantage I found with this is, It has got volume knob potentiometer already soldered. So I don't have to use any screw driver to adjust it.
But Input Voltage Range (VDC) - 15 ~ 32. As you suggested initially if I try with 12V 30A supply, will it be a problem?
I will connect only one 120W 6Ω speaker initially.

Thank you for the response.
I also found XH-M510 TDA7498 DC14-32V High Power Digital Power Amplifier Board
Its spec says, Output power - 100W+100W and Output impedance 4-8Ω
The main advantage I found with this is, It has got volume knob potentiometer already soldered. So I don't have to use any screw driver to adjust it.
But Input Voltage Range (VDC) - 15 ~ 32. As you suggested initially if I try with 12V 30A supply, will it be a problem?
I will connect only one 120W 6Ω speaker initially.
Please also read the THD figure at 100W+100W. They tend to be very high.

Sorry I am not a pro on electronics. THD means Total harmonic distortion? I looked under spec of XH-M510 TDA7498 and its written as,
Harmonic Distortion - Po=1W/0.05%

What does that mean?
Yes, THD is Total Harmonic Distortion. For a 100W amplifier they have quoted the distortion figure for 1W. It will be good to know the figure for higher wattage, say 10W and even 100W. Typical THD figures for good amplifiers at rated power (100W in your case) is usually below 0.5%.

Having said that, from past experience of tweaking and listening to TPA3118 powered by a 90W laptop power brick, it sounded quite nice though bass was lower than my personal liking.

I went ahead and ordered TPA3116D2 and hopefully will be delivered tomorrow.
Can some one please confirm below wiring of volume control potentiometer is correct?
@VSTEREO may be.
volume_control_wiring.jpg

No. This isn't right. I will edit your the image and post it here today.
Thank you very much
incase if it helps, I blanked the wiring in my original diagram and attaching again.

Attachments

• volume_control_wiring_blank.jpg
    volume_control_wiring_blank.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
Thank you very much
incase if it helps, I blanked the wiring in my original diagram and attaching again.
I'm not good with drawing. I'm pasting three images. Hope you understand it. If not you can ask for clarification.
1660370162764.png
1660370270063.png
1660370465375.png

Now I am trying to find an input source for testing the amp.

I have an old cheap Bluetooth speaker as below.

IMG_0818.jpg

inside it,

IMG_0820.jpg

Can I connect those Speaker -VE and Speaker +VE from the BT module to amplifier RCA input (Right) as below?

volume_control_wiring_blank.jpg

Of course, I know this is mono, So I will connect only 1 speaker to Right channel for testing

I received and tested TPA3116D2 and it works. But few minor issues.

1) There is low humming noise from the speaker.
2) whenever amp is switched off, there is a small pop sound from speaker (thud-thud)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I received and tested TPA3116D2 and it works. But few minor issues.

1) There is low humming noise from the speaker.
This totally depends on your power supply and the input shielding
1. What is your power supply?
2. Put photo of how you have connected the source to your amp input. This will give an idea of how good you have shielded the input.

2) whenever amp is switched off, there is a small pop sound from speaker (thud-thud)
There are many speaker protection boards available. google is your friend here.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back