DIY - Acosutic Panels using Fiberglass sheet

1000w

After my hunt for acoustic panels and reading numerous articles on the net I decided to take the plunge and give it a try.
First step was to identify a suitable material and got some info about using fiberglass sheets for this. Initially wanted to use owens corning but availability issues made it difficult. The owens corning folks were least interested to respond back to any query despite calling and speaking to them. The next option was Twiga fiber sheets which Santhosh and couple of others mentioned on this forum.

Drove down to their supplier (Himal Supply) and picked up two boxes (each contains 8 sheets of size .6x.9m) and it cost me 2100rs (thats 92sft for 2100 Rs!!).
Next was to get some acoustically transparent material to cover it up and give it a nice look and finish. I explored further and got to know about jute cloth which I procured from a outlet in Banaswadi.

I wanted to have square panels and decided 4x4 is the size I need, but unfortunately each fiber board is 2x3 ft and I could get either get 4x3 or 2x6 without having to cut the sheet, so settled for 4x3

Used some leftover ply pieces to make the frame

Staples to provide additional strength at the corners

Apply glue on the frame and position the fiber sheet on top

The second sheet goes on top

Turn over and keep some weight so that the sheets will stick properly

Keep the panel with fibersheet facing down on the cloth and staple away!

The trick part is to do the corner right which gives the final finish. I could not get the fine hessian cloth as it was out of stock and is slightly thinner than what I have used. But nonetheless I am satisfied with the outcome.

Turn it over and presto you have an acoustic panel. This was my first try and hope to better it for the next panels I need.

In all it took me an hour to complete this panel. I need 5 more and hope to better on the time and finish as well. So my next weekend is booked!
I have not tested them in a live environment and can only do it sometime in first week of May when my HT will be done.

Total Cost
Twiga Fiber sheets 48Kg density: Box of 8 (.6x.9m~ 2x3 ft) = Rs.1050
Contact: Himal Supply: 26660441, 25448602, 26661613, 26665442 (Bangalore)

Cloth: Jute cloth: width 48 inches and each meter is 45Rs
No. 5, SMR Vinay Regency,
Banaswadi Ring Road,
Bangalore 560 043.
Ph: 080-41529269, 25420304.

-Manish

From the pics, it seems that you have only one layer of jute cloth to prevent the fibre glass particles from spreading to the atmosphere. IMHO, try covering it properly with some other cloth or a layer of fibre tissue. Also close the sides with ply or similar material. It can be very hazardous to expose to fibre glass particles in long run especially the kids.

From the pics, it seems that you have only one layer of jute cloth to prevent the fibre glass particles from spreading to the atmosphere. IMHO, try covering it properly with some other cloth or a layer of fibre tissue. Also close the sides with ply or similar material. It can be very hazardous to expose to fibre glass particles in long run especially the kids.

Very true. He could've used a PVC sheet (used for packing) below the hessian cloth.

Very true. He could've used a PVC sheet (used for packing) below the hessian cloth.

Rajesh, the sound waves should fall on to the fiberglass surface to convert it to heat, PVC sheet will block that, so the material should be acoustically transparent, 2/3 layers of a loosely woven cotton cloth should be fine.

Agree, plan to address this in the next set of panels, ideally cover the sheet before it goes on the frame and then use the jute cloth to cover it completely. So with this multiple layers of cloth I hope to minimize the exposure.

Thats DIY, try and try till you perfect it. Thanks for the feedback.

_M

Fantastic DIY Manish. Very nice outcome!!

Questions:
1) Any reason why you have used such high density Fiber glasswool? High density is good for bass traps but does little for the highs and mids. Ignore my question, if these are Bass traps.
2) Can we have a close up picture of the Jute cloth? What other colors are available?

Suggestions:
1) Use braces instead of staples when you want to strengthen joints. Braces might be over-engineering for this job, but does the job well and easily
2) Like cmsajith has said, use tissue cloth to prevent flakes from entering the room. When you are at Himal next, you should pick up a roll. Should cost you around 500 bucks if I remember right.

They should still do a decent job for absorbing sound. http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
I will take a pic of the cloth and post it soon, there are 19 colour options in the cloth. I did think about braces but I had the stapler handy and used it and it does the job. Might think for the other panels. Thanks for the info on the cloth, might have to make another trip. My next try is to make the frame like a box (with 2 inch walls) and put the fiber sheets within the frame so that I get better finish and neat corners and edges. Will post pics when I get around to try it out this weekend.
-Manish

They should still do a decent job for absorbing sound. http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
I will take a pic of the cloth and post it soon, there are 19 colour options in the cloth. I did think about braces but I had the stapler handy and used it and it does the job. Might think for the other panels. Thanks for the info on the cloth, might have to make another trip. My next try is to make the frame like a box (with 2 inch walls) and put the fiber sheets within the frame so that I get better finish and neat corners and edges. Will post pics when I get around to try it out this weekend.
-Manish

Would be interested to see your setup once it is done, as my setup is also in the initial\planning stage. By the way, where are you in bangalore?

Back