DIY Bookshelf Stands

aashish351

Some of you may have seen the custom made bookshelf speakers using Focal drivers. It was a success and the speakers are now my fronts. The thread link is http://www.hifivision.com/diy/44041...kers-using-focal-ic-706v-ceiling-drivers.html.

The next step was to make these kind of stands for their hefty 8 kg weight and largish size. TNT-Stubby - A DIY Speaker Stand Project on TNT-Audio [English].

Very easy job to do with the help of a local carpenter and mechanic.

Material chosen:

Schedule 40 PVC pipe 3" diameter 20" x 2
Threaded Rod 1 cm dia 23" x 2
Sheesham Wood blocks 10"x10"x1.5" (2 pieces for top plate)
Sheesham Wood Blocks 12"x12"x1.5" (2 pieces for the bottom)
1 cm Nut and Washers x 4

Cost: Wood - 1500, Threaded Rod - 300, Woodwork - 500 - 1000, Polish ? depends, Pipe ?. Total should not be more than 3 K.

I chose sheesham because this is one of the heaviest solid wood at reasonable cost. Teak would have been very expensive. And it gives a nice natural tone.

Pictures:
0fqz.jpg

oev8.jpg

aja0.jpg

zrt8.jpg

I'm going to test them like this and then add spikes, fill them with sand, polish the wood in natural and paint the pipe black.

Guys please suggest more options for the feet. Also, other than sand what else can I use to fill these? Can I use those white stone chips (0 size)?

The natural look with a clear coat will look nice. What color have you chosen for the pipe? Very few colors may go with the natural wood look.

Guys please suggest more options for the feet. Also, other than sand what else can I use to fill these? Can I use those white stone chips (0 size)?

Choose something with the minuscule particle size. you would want to compress it tightly and make it as good as solid.
Loose stuff like stone chips could act as absorbent, effecting the low frequencies mainly.

Its Solid sheesham. It's right now just sanded. I'm going to keep it natural. But it will to be coated or varnished to save from moisture and damage.

Quick question, how about using marine plywood instead of wood will there be any issues? have you put varnish to the wood pls put the pics :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back