DIY CD PLAYER for less

hi kaushik, I am quite interested in diy but lackof knowledge and time holds me back.
This chasis sounds really interesting. what will be the cost. Any pictures or other details available?
Can I use this chasis as a htpc cabinet?

regards

Chassis can be done at nearby metal workshop better if you go to a place with laser cutting machine..

anm,

the getting done cabinet may be little bit tiring..specially in delhi ..at my place I get many workshops nearby.

for HTPC, pick up a dvd player cabinet ,remove the front
I am sure at lajpat rai market you will get it .Just increase the height with some MDF (spray paint to match the color)on 2 sides and back.. to suite your needs.

..for front take aluminum 4mm sheets cut to size 1 piece,all vendor wont give cut piece.....you need to visit metal market...

get the metal polished/sanded...anodize or clear coat on it.
visit PC modder forums you will get tons of ideas...

approx estimate:
dvd cab=500
mdf=200
aluminum=300
metal and wood work,polish,paint=2000

cha_indian,
that pic was i took from net ..

chassis can be easily made by 1 dvd player case adding an aluminum front.... a little polishing on aluminum,screen printing and a clear coat spray...

online you can buy chassis but will b costly because you
have to import like HIFIDIY STANDARD ALUMINUM CHASSIS-HIFIDIY

Just an update: I was also exploring DVD MPEG Cards.These are like mother board of dvd players.
Main advantage is just get the card plug in to a good mechanism,display(locally available)..
get I2S feed to a Hiq DAC..I2s is jitter free signal
and we have made an inexpensive audiophile source!
(if all goes well)

I have got clear I2s out pins chip SPHE8200 data sheet .
Surely many chips will have..but this is used in many
locally available cards.

I have a dvd mini system based on
SPHE8200+SPHE6300.. surely well built ..
it has a hiq mechanism+vfd etc 3+ years the lens is doing well... need to gather info on this I2s possibility
card is like this
227.jpg

Last edited:
that brd has MPEG decoder n controller,rf chip,dac ,4558d opamps X4..etc all done in smd all you need for a dvd player, some players have bigger thru-hole boards,for easy servicing

Last edited:
Kaushk,

Don't forget one difference between a computer cdrom and a CDP. Play time. computer cd roms are designed to read quickly, transfer data to the memory and then stop, they don't run continously for several hours. Where as a CDP is used for playing for several hours continously.

Its like the difference between a jet fighter and a commercial aircraft. My feeling is that a computer cdrom may die within 6 months of usage by a audiophile.

Kaushk,

Don't forget one difference between a computer cdrom and a CDP. Play time. computer cd roms are designed to read quickly, transfer data to the memory and then stop, they don't run continously for several hours. Where as a CDP is used for playing for several hours continously.

Its like the difference between a jet fighter and a commercial aircraft. My feeling is that a computer cdrom may die within 6 months of usage by a audiophile.

That is an erroneous belief visit this
Stereophile: Mark Levinson No.31.5 Reference CD transport

Uses 'CD-ROM mechanism with a linear-tracking pickup and a digital servo.'

The cdrom to cdp is been done in DIYaudio forums but the info is in bits and pieces,need to put some time to gather all.

CDROMs can read at a faster rate than normal cd mechanism and infact will last long if we run at a slower speed.

Retrieving an old thread on diy cd player.

How about a DIY CD transport based on a cd rom (provided with a good vibration free plinth)? How is it different from a Philips CD Pro2?
Is there any CD ROM / DVD ROM available with top loading?

Last edited:
Not doing DIY much ..why dont people moveahead and try , all want ready made item.. at a lower price :D that will never happen , unless people join hands to try .

personally if i alone make one will keep it to my self , just i will allow demo :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back