DIY - Cheap AV Rack Cooler

guruthebond

Here is my version of AV Cooler:
My rack has one Onkyo NR609 Receiver and 1KA Step down transformer, which makes this place pretty hot. So in-order to control heat I had to take things literally in my hands and this is what I ended up

Desktop Computer Cooling fan 8cm x 8cm; Quantity: 2 (Rs175 each , total Rs 350) , 12V
One Spare Nokia charger (Almost Free) ; 5V (5V will cause fan not to run very fast which would make them noiseless almost!!)
FeviQuick -1 (Rs 5)
Electrical Tape ( Rs 10)
Screws (Rs 2)
Saw : Rs 10
Total Cost: Rs. 377

Align the Fans in opposite direction i.e. one sucks out air and other sucks in, Glue them together with FeviQuick and leave it for while to set. Once Set do serial wiring connection between the fans i.e. red to red and black to black.
Start the Nokia charger and check positive and negative by connecting black and red leads to it (try attaching black wire on the outside of Nokia charger pin as shown in picture and red in inside; you might have to alternate if this configuration does not work). Once found use feviQuick to seal it. Switch off Your charger.

Make a slit at back of your AV Receiver rack 20cm x 6cm , you can use mini saw to do this as back of these racks are quite thin like 4mm. Attached your fans with screw and power it up.

Attachments

• DSC_0718 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_0718 (Custom).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0719 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_0719 (Custom).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0721 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_0721 (Custom).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
just a thought

shouldn't both the fans just suck air and put it out?

this way fresh air is sucked inside from the Front of the AVR thus cooling the whole system, if the fans rotate in the opposite direction and be so close to each other the air might just be going round and round in that small space.

experts can advice better....

You are quite right, but front of my AV rack has glass door which blocks the ventilation, that is why I have these two fans in opposite direction, after installing these there was immediate effect on over all temperature of the unit, I ran it for almost 2 hours and could easily touch the receiver which I could not do previously.

just a thought

shouldn't both the fans just suck air and put it out?

this way fresh air is sucked inside from the Front of the AVR thus cooling the whole system, if the fans rotate in the opposite direction and be so close to each other the air might just be going round and round in that small space.

experts can advice better....

You are quite right, but front of my AV rack has glass door which blocks the ventilation, that is why I have these two fans in opposite direction, after installing these there was immediate effect on over all temperature of the unit, I ran it for almost 2 hours and could easily touch the receiver which I could not do previously.

if it's working, great :)

One small suggestion - check the airflow again.
I also think that the effectiveness might be limited due to the fact that both of them are so close to each other.

Keep a simple cardboard box of the same size as your amp in the cabinet instead of the amp. Start the fans. Light up an incense stick (like the ones used in temples) and bring it close to the fan throwing in the air. See from the front how the smoke spreads inside the cabinet to understand the airflow. Don't try it with your amp in the cabinet.

One more thing you can do to improve the airflow would be to just use one fan on the lower side to throw in the air. Let the air flow out from the top on its own. A little positive pressure in the cabinet will help in a faster cooling and one less fan to create noise.

nice idea , atleast i got motivation for a class A amp cooling system.
Silent fans are one of my favorites.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back