DIY AV Rack and Book Shelf Stand.

rbalagopalan

It has been my endeavor that being a Mechanical engineer that too having direct contact with all sorts of industries that I should make my self any Stand or Rack that I need. That too knowing the nuances of fabrication / machining processes it will be criminal on my part to buy from the show rooms and pay hefty price for no reason (may be lack of time to concentrate - a lame excuse).

So in that process I had built an AV Rack and a Book Shelf stand of 4 pillar design for my own use. I had just put a few white paper on my initial drawings just to show that how did I chalk out the design. Though the out come was not accurate as per the white paper mm to mm the overall finished product is the same, as I had to do couple of modifications to improvise during the manufacturing process in consultation with the fabricator.

The finished and Assembled AV Rack is weighing approximately 75 kgs. The Bottom most shelf has got 3 beams and weighing 17 kgs to support heavy power amps and other shelves with 2 beams and weighing 15 kgs each. I didn't want the fastening bolts to carry the weight of the Shelves and the components hence I had designed the legs with Milled slots so that the shelves will directly rest on the legs and hence the load bearing is straight on the legs and not on the fastening bolts.

I felt positioning the 4 legs either in 4 corners on sides or front & back is very conventional and does not add any designer value. So I had decided to keep left and right legs at a distance of 1/3 from the front and the rear 2 legs at a distance of 1/4 distance from the left and right corners. This has really made the Rack to look with elegance and neat architecture. With regard to the fastening bolts I thought a normal hexagon bolt or allen cap screws will make the Rack to look industrious and not a luxurious indoor equipment hence I decided I will go with Mushroom head allen cap screw and to add contrast I went in for SS304 material.

The overall size of the each shelf is 42" wide x 21" deep which is double width one.

With regard to the Book shelf stand the Four pillar stand was the choice of our forum member Mr. Mohamed Naseer. Though primarily I thought I will make one for me It was ultimately developed for Naseer. This particular design is non dismantlable fully welded structure. The weight of the each stand is around 19 kgs with out any fill in the 4 pillars.

There is a provision at the bottom individually in each pillar for filling fine sand, Iron balls or lead shots whatever. Having made the stand robust I didn't want to go in for ready made spikes which will not do any justice to the stands I had designed the spikes my self for it to do justice to the size of the stand with regard to looks and performance.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110165001878262859830/albums/6006067470246566241

While claiming the design and development I do admit that there are some issues with regard to finish, like the seam in the 4 legs of the rack could have been put inside ie the milling should have been done on the seam side rectangle tube, of course it is not visible to the naked eye though.

The welding finish is not up to the mark cause the experienced TIG welder was on long leave and had to do with the ark welding (as explained by the fabricator) These flaws can be eliminated 100% in future as we had come out with lot of other way to do it. Even No welding will be visible from out side or dismantlable stands can be done.

Coming to the critical question of cost of finished product it is fractional when compared to imported ones and far less than the Indian manufacturers / brands. In fact I didn't want to post it here with an apprehension that this is not some thing great to be boasted, but the opinion and encouragement of our many forum members like Madbulram, GeorgeO, Srini, Naseer, Rajiv, Clearcut, etc.,(if I had left any names please excuse me) during their visit and many non member hifi enthusiast has made me to post it here.

I have no problem in openly declaring the cost here if this forum allows. Please clarify me I will post it here.

I don't know what to elaborate further as it will run in to pages I will stop here and look forward to the members opinions /comments and questions.

NOTE: I can get this done to any forum member to any size and shape based on their design, photo or narration on absolutely non profit motive. This is strictly for their personal use and not for any profit making sale. Only request is please allow 3 to 4 weeks of time.

Thanks

R. Balagopalan

Wow, a great tank like build and i have experienced the finish and sturdiness at Mr.Bala's house. Infact i have seen another AV rack ( sorry skeleton) our FM Magma build which captain has purchased for nearing 12K + or more than that and it is an pure skeleton and never hold an player weight itself on its own and we have to hold our breath when it will fell.

The above stand is an real battleship build and very well it is visible amplifier weighing more than 50KGS ( bryston / Parasound ) have been kept side by side and laughing at you.:cool:

I left to FM's guess how much it will cost then if i am wrong in comparing other's stand will get justified.:) And I promise you will hate any other stands and AV rack in the market.

If at all i am having space i will go for this one, however going with an modified small one which can suit my monoblocks + preamp in place.

Hi,

I have seen Bala's AV rack and it is very good. Far better than many commercial offerings.The build quality is superb.

Because of his business links Bala, has access to several top class fabrication/engineering industries and has utilized their facilities to make these superb racks.

It is a very good gesture on his part to offer to get racks built for FM's at cost, :clapping:,which is substantially less than commercial AV racks, and also those that have been offered on this forum by other members.

Regards
Rajiv

The stands look good and very sturdy but it is not portable. I mean it is all welding and no screws. Although that makes it more sturdy and stable.

I can get this done to any forum member to any size and shape based on their design, photo or narration on absolutely non profit motive.

Thanks for being so generous :thumbsup:

The stands look good and very sturdy but it is not portable. I mean it is all welding and no screws. Although that makes it more sturdy and stable.

Thanks for being so generous :thumbsup:

The stand can be made 100% dismatlable with out the rigidity being compromised. In fact that gives more elegance in looks. Even shipping this in a crate by road across India is no big deal if you are so keen.

Last edited:

I believe you are quoting the speaker stands( not av rack).. That is the design it is intended for the bookshelf speaker which is followed in many forums and DIYers.

If i am right, this speaker stand in the photo was done for our FM Mohdnaseer for his Spendor LS3/5A bookshelf speakers

Last edited:
Hi,

The stands look good and very sturdy but it is not portable. I mean it is all welding and no screws.

The rack can be easily dismantled and packed flat for easy shipping. The speaker stand was made specifically for Naseer,who wanted a fixed design.

I am certain that Bala can get a stand that can be dismantled for easy shipping /portability made .

Regards
Rajiv

Yes what rajiv says is right.This stand was made for me for my LS3/5A.
I have given Foundation designer II Stand specification to bala and he made for me according to the spec. This was great help for me from bala.He is always very busy with his schedules in between he has spend his valuable time for me to do this stand, because i cant get Foundation designer II here even i cant import the price will go too high.I only gave the spec and all other idea will be done by bala with his great knowledge.

One funniest thing has happened during the discussions with the sheet metal fabricator has happened in the initial stages. I have been asking that guy repeatedly whether will the bottom shelf be able to take the weight of two amplifiers around 100 kgs?. At one point of time he got wild and started explaining me a fact. The normal steel cots being sold in the show rooms 6.5feet X 5 feet carries on an average of 150 kgs (in case of an occasion even 5 - 6 people sit on it) in a larger span fabricated with a 1.5 mm thick sheet and only 3 reinforcements underneath and supported with flimsy 3/4" steel round tube.

Then he gave a pause and looked at me and said what we are making is only 42"L X 21"D with 2.5mm thick sheet with double folds on all sides further with 3 nos. of 1" square beams underneath. Supported with 50mm X 25mm Rectangular tube of 2mm thick legs, so now you tell me how much we can load this shelf with. This simple realistic example made me to get convinced ( some time I felt, am I over doing it with regard to strength.) and proceed further.

R. Balagopalan.

Thanks Bala for your effort in sharing your experience transparently in Forum. Despite of his skill he also lent his ears to my simple suggestions. I myself stood on that rack to reckon it's loading capacity. Provided he had time and with the free availability of resources he could have done it even better looking. Now itself it is good. I purchased one Pedestal for my Krell power amp from one of our Fm it was filmsy. Which I did not expect that so much. Cost wise too that disappointed me comparing to Bala's equipment. Any how hats off to Bala. Once again you have proved yourself with this thread

Infact i have seen another AV rack ( sorry skeleton) our FM Magma build which captain has purchased for nearing 12K + or more than that and it is an pure skeleton and never hold an player weight itself on its own and we have to hold our breath when it will fell.

Actually, I had spent another 12k on the acrylic racks and other mods.

I had made some modifications to make it sturdier. The flimsy spikes were replaced with spikes made by machining thicker TVS bolts, rectangular MS tubes welded to the bottom of the base to form the lowest rack which would be able to support a heavy item like power amp etc. Unfortunately, there is still quite a bit of sway of the racks because they are balanced from the rear. The front invisible acrylic pipe legs installed have failed to give adequate support to stop the sway.

An Update: One of the forum Member has sent me PM with the details of his equipments and his requirement. I am working on it amidst my work and will send him the schematics along with the costing for his approval, hope it comes out well.

Thanks to him for banking on my ability.

NB: I didn't want to mention the member's name here as his request was through PM and I have no problem in him posting it here.

Is it ok, can you please reveal your final cost of your AV rack ?

An Update: One of the forum Member has sent me PM with the details of his equipments and his requirement. I am working on it amidst my work and will send him the schematics along with the costing for his approval, hope it comes out well.

Thanks to him for banking on my ability.

NB: I didn't want to mention the member's name here as his request was through PM and I have no problem in him posting it here.

It is Ok you can put the rates..:p

The AV Rack cost me Rs.14,765/- and the Speaker stands cost me Rs.12,575/- Including those sexy / potent Spikes. Delivery charges to my residence ie Auto fare Rs. 600/=.

The same Rack imported one was coming around 80K and some what similar one weighing only 37kgs on the whole, quote was 42K after the discount. The speaker stand similar one imported landing cost was nearly 75K and a very very flimsy one of Two pillar design in India costs Rs. 18K to 22K.

Note: In case some one wanted to get some thing done and dispatched they have to add the wooden crating charges and some miselaneous packing materials cost which in my assessement should not go more than Rs. 3000/=

Hope this opens the secret.

R. Balagopalan

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back