Study Table vs Speaker stand for bookshelf speaker placement

swift

Hi All,
Currently, I have placed my Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelf speakers on a shelf. But the speakers has to be moved to another room shortly and currently, there is no furniture here. This room will be used as my work room and for stereo listening as well.

I have two options.
1) Get a proper sturdy table that can be used for work as well as speaker placement.

1.png
2) Place speakers on a proper speaker stand. If I go for this option again, I am unsure about the difference it can make in terms of sound quality between the Q acoustics speaker stand and sound foundations.
2.png

My priority is getting good sound quality. I have never listened to comparing a speaker stand and study table placement.
Please guide me as per your experience.

Last edited:
Go for the 2nd option it will spread the sound all over ur room and speaker breaths well. A good stereo separation will be notified.
Stand is matter but sound foundation make good stand since long u can trust. Also sound foundation have customized options as ur required. Other hand q basic stand bit pricy and nothing special for me except their concept 20 stand this are daam good but very pricy.
Hope ur new room brings ur audio jorney more fun and enjoyable.

Hi All,
Currently, I have placed my Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelf speakers on a shelf. But the speakers has to be moved to another room shortly and currently, there is no furniture here. This room will be used as my work room and for stereo listening as well.

I have two options.
1) Get a proper sturdy table that can be used for work as well as speaker placement.

View attachment 80459
2) Place speakers on a proper speaker stand. If I go for this option again, I am unsure about the difference it can make in terms of sound quality between the Q acoustics speaker stand and sound foundations.
View attachment 80460

My priority is getting good sound quality. I have never listened to comparing a speaker stand and study table placement.
Keeping speakers on a table is almost criminal as sound is butchered by the wave reflections off the table in front of the speaks.

You will atleast need to keep it elevated. And also I am not sure your speakers are designed for near field listening or not.

1 - I wouldn't do Qacoustics 3020i in near field. The speakers aren't "maybe" designed for that particular application and in my experience with QA speakers they generally do better with a fair bit of distance between them and at-least 1/1.5 feet from the front wall.
2 - I would do stands as well, however I would rather do near field speakers instead.

However if you HAVE TO use these as near field speakers, I would suggest -
1 - Get something to elevate these, in a way that the tweeters are pointing at your ear height.
2 - Do use the foam bungs that come with the speakers, they make a noticeable difference, in my case for the better.
3 - Definitely get a sub.
4 - Play with placement on your desk - rooms can be quite interesting - something may just work out perfectly for you!

On your other query - I would say if the stand is sturdy enough it won't matter much (may not even be noticeable). I use my QAs with after market wooden stands.

**My experience is primarily based on driving QA Concept 20s in Near Field with AL 6000a. I found too many issues with this setup.

Hi All,

I have two options.

View attachment 80459
View attachment 80460

Is the desk imminent in your room or not?

If it is, get the desk, place your speakers on them and employ the steps @chander mentioned. Who knows, depending on your room, speakers placed on your desk may sound good. You never know until you know.

If it's either stands or table, I'd recommend stands anyday of the week and twice on Sunday because above everything else, they'll allow flexibility of placement/ positioning.

If you're getting stands, do ensure that it's tall/short enough to place your speakers, specifically the middle of the tweeter and mid-bass driver, at ear level while seated.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back