DIY cooling system for amp

I am using laptop stand with cooler fan inside, placed over the amp, powered by a mobile charger. Working perfect since few yrs.

My Marantz AVR SR7005 is now almost 6 years old. Always kept the top (which is fully ventilated) covered with a black chart paper as otherwise a lot of dust settles inside.
So I have installed Antec F19 120mm LED Silent Fan which keeps things cool inside, by blowing out hot air. This is powered by external 12V adapter which automatically switches on/off every time the AVR is powered on/off.

My friend had brought the same AVR at the same time. But in 3 years his HDMI board (top most main board) went bad as it got corroded with stubborn dust, as it was never kept covered.
Replacement board (costing 20-25k) was not available and he had to scrap his unit.

Also use Cyberclean to clean the boards, they look brand new!

199jro.jpg

d8krk.jpg

2i1iff8.jpg

2yuyihe.jpg

Thanks buddy for educating all of us! I also have a SR7005 and just assembled a small PC cabinet fan using a 12V adapter. I've placed the fan just above the cabinet which is working fine, but now I think I should also implement your hack of putting the fan INSIDE the box and covering the vent with black paper to reduce dust.

quick Q: do you remove the paper during playback or its glued permanently?
And do you open the box and clean using vacuum cleaner?

quick Q: do you remove the paper during playback or its glued permanently?
And do you open the box and clean using vacuum cleaner?

I have used thin double sided tape under the black chart paper and it stays fixed all the time. This was the main reason to install the fan as otherwise there would be heat build up inside with no ventilation. Take caution that the fan is always running when you use the AVR. To ensure this, connect the 12V adaptor to the same plug point as Marantz (use a multi plug) so that fan is always running when you switch on the mains for the AVR. Since my fan has white LEDs, it's a visual indicator that the fan is running. In fact I have also installed a thermometer with wired probe placed directly on the transformer inside. So it shows me the temperature at all times. It reaches about max 48 degree Celsius with fan running.

Say once in 6-12 months I open the top cover and use a air blower (not vacuum) to keep it clean.

2s85mjr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info mate.
Is there any particular position/device on top of which the fan needs to be placed for better safeguard? Or just a random position is fine? Why i am checking means you have covered rest of the vents with black sheet, so you may have kept the fan on top of any particular chip or board. Just to make sure. :)

Sorry I saw your message only now. This is placed above the transformer, which I feel is the main source of heat.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back