DIY modding WRT610N router with High Gain Antennas

Hi,

I used "dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx" and No any mini edition. After increasing the power i did gave some time to reboot, i did not checked the LAN. what is 30/30/30 reset?

Thanks.

Please check this link, I am quoting some relevant line below Hard reset or 30/30/30 - DD-WRT Wiki

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):
The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)
This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Do not use configuration restore if you change firmware builds (different svn build numbers).

[NOTE] - For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle. The only exception (so far) is the RT-N16 model, follow the same method as stated above but use the WPS button instead of the Restore button. If all else fails to reset you can also do it by command line (all units). Login to the router via telnet/ssh and issue the command "erase nvram". This will reset the nvram partition to defaults for this Make of router

Haisaikat,

What an excellent mod!

I wanted to thank you for something entirely different though. Your 30-30-30 explanation helped me resurrect my ASUS WL-330gE. At least partially. The signal strength has improved but the signal drop has not, so it points to this horrible router that Airtel has given me! Maybe I can mod this Beetel 450TCI with an additional antenna?

In fact there is someone who has added a higher gain antenna to this ASUS AP too. Now I want to try a few mods like DD-WRT or Open-WRT which I am told do work for this, but that would be a different post, so let me not hog your thread.

All the best and thanks once again.

Last edited:
Please let me know how to check which chip it is.

Thanks.

You can ssh into your box and eeither use iw or see dmesg log, it should have an entry for same. BTW whatever information I could gather about your router, it seems to be based on broadcom soc.

Regards

Haisaikat,

What an excellent mod!

I wanted to thank you for something entirely different though. Your 30-30-30 explanation helped me resurrect my ASUS WL-330gE. At least partially. The signal strength has improved but the signal drop has not, so it points to this horrible router that Airtel has given me! Maybe I can mod this Beetel 450TCI with an additional antenna?

In fact there is someone who has added a higher gain antenna to this ASUS AP too. Now I want to try a few mods like DD-WRT or Open-WRT which I am told do work for this, but that would be a different post, so let me not hog your thread.

All the best and thanks once again.

Thanks Vj for the praise and alo for the PM. Your beetel is a wifi-G router right? On ebay the cheapest high gain antenna that I could find is HIGH POWER ANTENNA 16DBI GAIN TO BOOST WI-FI RECEPTION | eBay but in my mind you should try custom firmwire first before shelling out any money from your pocket.

Haisaikat,

Sorry for missing your post.

Which custom firmware are you suggesting. I dont think DD wrt can be ported on this Beetel 450TCI. Because I havent found the equivalent model no. for this router. (Yes this is indeed a wireless G router).

Thanks for the link. 500 bucks does not seem to be a big spend if does indeed do the trick. I tried to see if the antenna on my router is removable. There seems to be no threading type of connector, so I don't even know if this ebay one can be retrofitted..

Vj

Last edited:
Haisaikat,

Sorry for missing your post.

Which custom firmware are you suggesting. I dont think DD wrt can be ported on this Beetel 450TCI. Because I havent found the equivalent model no. for this router. (Yes this is indeed a wireless G router).

Thanks for the link. 500 bucks does not seem to be a big spend if does indeed do the trick. I tried to see if the antenna on my router is removable. There seems to be no threading type of connector, so I don't even know if this ebay one can be retrofitted..

Vj

oops, if the antenna is not removable then lets stay away from that. would be possible to open the screws of the box and see how the antenna connects to the main circuit internally?

oops, if the antenna is not removable then lets stay away from that. would be possible to open the screws of the box and see how the antenna connects to the main circuit internally?

Oh I love to open things up, I usually succeed in putting them back together, but electronics is my particular weakness, meaning I am not very good at it! http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

But I will try and get back to you.

Can you guys try the following setting and tell me whether it helps to improve the wifi speed? It actually doubled my router speed to 6MBps(Megabytes/Sec).

After login into the admin page of the linksys router, click on the wireless tab. After that select the Advanced wireless setting tab. Here change the CTS Protection Mode from Auto to Disabled. Please check the attached image. If you have a dual band router, you will have to change it for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

Attachments

• Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 54
Can you guys try the following setting and tell me whether it helps to improve the wifi speed? It actually doubled my router speed to 6MBps(Megabytes/Sec).

After login into the admin page of the linksys router, click on the wireless tab. After that select the Advanced wireless setting tab. Here change the CTS Protection Mode from Auto to Disabled. Please check the attached image. If you have a dual band router, you will have to change it for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

Hi Sudhish, I tried last night in my one band (since I keep one turned off) but it did not work, I was earlier getting 5.5 to 6 MBps in the corners and with this chnaged it had no effect. Btw I am using DD-WRT on my 610n since it allows me to use the 2nd band also at 2.4 GHz

Though this is not specific to any WiFi router, but it is a passive mod.

This is my jugad to implement parabolic reflector for router's wifi antenna. This was made in attempt to get good gain across 3rd room and it was successful to raise 35% at 40 Fts where I used to get 20% power strength.

Reference Parabolic Templat

This is all scrap material I used - one empty spray cann of deo and empty square base bottle of plastic.

image782.jpg

image783.jpg

image784s.jpg

image786b.jpg

well done omishra. I believe this should be able to inspire other to experiment the same. Btw did you measure the increase in throughput if you copy a file over network?

well done omishra. I believe this should be able to inspire other to experiment the same. Btw did you measure the increase in throughput if you copy a file over network?

I did not measure the throughput. My problem was raising the signal strength into that signal meter of laptop wifi. It was raised from 1/5 to 3/5 in one direction.

Okay got it but please try to measure that as well. The reason being that with increase in transmission strength sometimes the throughput drops due to increase in error. I will give you an example, in my case after the mod, I get 5 bars in many places but with 5 bars (even when the connect speed is shown as 150 mbps) the max throughput I get is 5-6 MBps only when doing file copy. But the advantage being that several areas of house that were previously unreachable are not wifi covered

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back