DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Foundation

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

This will become 100 % hard - like a 'rock'
It serves 2 purposes.
a]
Seals all Loose Spaces
b]
Keeps the Power Cables in place & insulates them - from each other & from the outside. 100 % safe thing to do.

Interesting!

I didn't know one can go to such lengths for a power distribution board:)

Looks like it will sound "solid".

Re: DIY - Power Strip - Acrylic + Lead + Oyaide [Schucko] + P.U. Resin - Sound Founda

I was inspired from my Acoustic Revive RTP-4 [Japan]
That I have with US Plugs.
The Euro one was rather expensive - so I decided to try my own.
Hopefully it should be ready by Wednesday & will test it.
Will keep you informed.
Yes, the Resin makes the product 'inert' [electrically & acoustically]
So, fingers are crossed. This should work out OK.

Fantastic thread! Appreciate your efforts in documenting it step-by-step.

Fantastic thread! Appreciate your efforts in documenting it step-by-step.
Thank You Sir;
If you need any details that I may have not covered here - please do feel free to call on me, I will try my best to help & support.
Appreciate your comments.

:clapping:

wow..more good if it were carrying power filter

Sir,
I do not believe in it.
Hence, I have not used any.
I always find them to be 'restrictive'
Else, I would have used it.
many respected amps carry power filter inside..
they act on the HF noise region,EMI etc,no ..but may be i am noob on the impact on various amps(specially high end ones).

however audiophile beliefs vary ,cant comment on that.

which cables are you using inside the box? What about the shielding for the cables used in the box?

He has already mentioned the cables have not been cut anywhere as can be seen in the pictures. Just unsheathed the power cable at the right places. A nice thing to do to prevent any joints which may increase resistance.

internal cables need not be shielded sir
thats the whole point of lining the box with lead and then filling it with resin

P.S
box is 90% complete
it went for final buff today
lid taps were done at the shop yest

only need to terminate the mains and fill it with resin
and attach the brass spikes

Last edited:

...An alternative to the Lapp is: MX ULTIMATE POWER CORD SERIES - MX ULTIMATE POWER CORD SERIES Exporter, Manufacturer & Supplier, Mumbai, India

Rs 280/meter. Shielded, 13 AWG, OCC, 6N purity, quite flexible. I use this in an experimental DIY power cord and I like it a lot (compares favourably with some "factory-made" power cables costing 8-12 times).
jls - did you connect the shield to earth?

jls - did you connect the shield to earth?

Nope, I didn't do that. May be I should? Will it help? I surely can do something to connect it if it's going to be helpful.

BTW, the MX cable is a three core with a dedicated ground cable.

BTW, the MX cable is a three core with a dedicated ground cable.
OK.
I think the Lapp too is a 1.5mm square 3 core cable with a shield.
So, is there a need to ground the shield too ?

Please do shed some light - much appreciate..

Connecting the shield to the ground is always beneficial in unbalanced configurations (and hence in power cables) as it forms something of an active shield. The shield will absorb the noise and dump it into the ground at the source end. But for this to work, it is important to be careful that the shield is completely isolated from the signal cable at both ends (live and neutral wire for power cables) and from ground at destination end.

Many unbalanced cable manufacturers use this type of geometry. It is sometimes called semi-balanced configuration.

Connecting the shield to the ground is always beneficial in unbalanced configurations (and hence in power cables) as it forms something of an active shield. The shield will absorb the noise and dump it into the ground at the source end. But for this to work, it is important to be careful that the shield is completely isolated from the signal cable at both ends (live and neutral wire for power cables) and from ground at destination end.

Many unbalanced cable manufacturers use this type of geometry. It is sometimes called semi-balanced configuration.
What are balanced/unbalanced configurations in the context of mains power and what is it's relevance/impact?

Not particularly relevant in the 3 core + shield context but this is a good and interesting read.

What are balanced/unbalanced configurations in the context of mains power and what is it's relevance/impact?

Balanced cables are applicable only where there is a differential circuit at both the ends and are used only in low level analog signal cables for audio, ie ICs between DAC pre and power.

A balanced line has two signal conductors, one carrying electrons to the source, the other is taking them away. The polarity of the two conductors, at any moment, is always opposite.
Unbalanced or single ended has one of these conductors attached to a ground point, the other carries the signal.

Power lines can be equated to single ended since the live and neutral together carry the power to the destination with the third conductor connected to ground. Because of that connecting the shield to ground at source end, which is a common practice with unbalanced cables, is also applicable to power cables.

I had this written down in my notes and I don't know/remember it's source:
If the audio component originally had a three wire plug, connect the shield to earth at both ends.
If it originally was a two wire plug, then connect shield to earth at the AC wall plug end only, and make sure the other end is completely isolated.

I had this written down in my notes and I don't know/remember it's source:

That makes sense.. since in two conductor cables like an unbalanced IC one is a signal cable and the other is the reference ground. There connecting the shield at the output end defeats the purpose of noise rejection using shield.

But in a three conductor power cable the reference is the neutral wire, and one can connect the shield to the ground at output end. But I don't think that's mandatory. And I am more comfortable dumping the noise at source itself.

Last edited:

bhagwan

we cannot connect the ground to the shield (and we shouldnt in any case )
i will explain later

nway
the electrician was here half the day today

he has terminated
and checked all connections
we have also tested the cable for leaks or shorts with a meter - especially since we have used the lead foil sleeve

there are no leaks or shorts of any kind on the cable
This was VERY important to check

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back