DIY Room Accoustics for Home-Theatre

i tried placing my passive sub in center today, the only dilemma i have with my room is, it has a 6 feet by 9 feet wardrobe on one side, this almost acts as a second wall! however, i calculated center of room taking this fact into consideration. what i notice is, sub has kinda disappeared now, if i were to have someone locate the sub ourely based on sound, it would be difficult i presume.

pros:
bass sounds truer
easy on ears for longer sessions
system sounds resolved easier to drive

cons:
the "party" sound is kinda tamed

this is with reference to my older pulz/pandam set up which i still use for movies/TV

@ Shelley - if you could tone down your personal attacks to nil, this could be such a interesting thread.

@ Sanjay - you are as cool as a sub placed in center :)

Thanx for the kind words jenson; much appreciated.

Glad your sub is no longer noticeable. We should all aim to listen to music and movies, not hear the equipment itself.

If you want to restore some of that "party" sound (like when you're rocking out to heavy metal music) just turn up the bass to compensate for having placed your sub in a null.

Shelly,

What else you need.?

(IMO,the details provided with supporting data looks good for placing sub in center.)

Please proceed with your updates. It is helping lot of people.
(Even you disagree on few things with other FM)

Shelly,

Please proceed with your updates. It is helping lot of people.
(Even you disagree on few things with other FM)

Shelley,

Yes we are eagerly waiting for the updates from you, please post some recent snaps.

Also have you covered the panels with the Fabric materials?

once again, placing sub in center is such a personal choice. it really boils down to how an individual likes his bass! it's certainly not the right place for "boomy" bass. it's the kind of placement for controlled bass and, one other thing noticed is, bass is much more consistent across the room.

btw sanjay, i did turn up the bass quite higher than i usually do and the amp isnt sweating a bit. im begining to acquire a taste for this tight sound.

it would be very exciting to have two subs though!

Hi Friends,

I have a HT size 14X12 feet
Speaker 5.1 PSB Synchrony
Projector Optma HD 20
AVR Denon 2310

Please find the attached photos of my HT

I have not done any acustics till today,

but now i would like to go for it

after reading your discusstions i came to conclution

I am planning to buy

Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Primacoustic London 8 Acoustic Treatment Room Kit for Rooms upto 100sqft - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Aud

1 set

and ++

Please advice friends as i found here well knowledged people are discussing here,

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    189.8 KB · Views: 40
@Frank -

Before spending money on acoustics, I think you should first get the planning and speaker positioning right.

First, mount your center speaker higher, as close to height as possible with your front floorstanders.

Do you plan to use a subwoofer? Or Floorstander speakers are good enough? If you plan to use your floorstanding speakers for sub duty, play with their positioning, farther away from corner and see if you get an improvement.

Acoustic treatment is like a remedy. We need to first know what's ailing. Have you figured out which problems to tackle? I think given the room width, you may need to capture each speakers reflections off the opposite walls. But, first play with your speaker positioning and find out what problems your room poses.

Frank,

Some quick questions:

Are you willing to move your screen higher to allow your L/R speakers to be moved away from corners?

How much distance from edge of screen to the side wall?

What are your room dimensions (length, width)?

Do you have pics of the back half of your room?

@Shelley, how is your build progressing? i'm particularly interested in how you applied fabric on the boards. Pls do post the pics and details

once again, placing sub in center is such a personal choice. it really boils down to how an individual likes his bass! it's certainly not the right place for "boomy" bass. it's the kind of placement for controlled bass and, one other thing noticed is, bass is much more consistent across the room.

Have you tried what Shelly recomends (based on some other expert),
" the subwoofer location for best, non-resonant playback will be about one-quarter of the ceiling height off the floor, one-quarter the width of the room off the side walls, and one-quarter the room length off the front or back wall"

Hi Shelley...Really motivated by your DIY approach for HT Room... the thread got some interruption with some knowledgeable but out of thread discussion. May I request you to carry on with the room details and final look and feel of it.. as myself is also on the same boat of HT room. Pls post some images of your creation.

Hi Shelley,
Have you completed your HT project? post some pics for us. It was interesting to read your thread. I am relocating my existing HT to another room in my house. I called up wood wool dealer Vindrax for quotation. He seems to be nice to talk but doesn't seem to be interested in shipping small quantities. I asked for quotation about 3 days back and called several times. Every time he says he will send the in a while but he doesn't. I think I will drop the idea of using wood wool boards.

Hi Shelley,
Have you completed your HT project? post some pics for us. It was interesting to read your thread. I am relocating my existing HT to another room in my house. I called up wood wool dealer Vindrax for quotation. He seems to be nice to talk but doesn't seem to be interested in shipping small quantities. I asked for quotation about 3 days back and called several times. Every time he says he will send the in a while but he doesn't. I think I will drop the idea of using wood wool boards.

No use Captainrizal,

Shelley somehow got offended from the previous discussions and not posting any updates, I have even sent him a PM but no updates. In fact his last activity on this forum seems to be on September 17th 2013.

hey guys,

ok first of all, im not from an acoustic background neither do i have a degree in physics but after 8 months of R&D on the world wide web, ,meeting N number of acoustic products suppliers i have come to a conclusion that let it be wood wool, high density fiber mats, auntone boards or anything around is nothing in comparison to big brother "Glass Wool". There are myths about glass wool being a hazardous and all but look around which century are we living in? yes that's right its the 21st century...

First of all you need to know the types of glass wool available and the specific use and NRC of the product. Glass wool can be bought in India from a number of manufacturers "Twiga" being the best of the lot. Glass wool in India is available in wool, roll, semi rigid & rigid forms. They are also classified by their density varying from 24 kg/m2 to 64 kg/m2 (available in India) Ovens corning which is considered as the #1 glass wool manufacturer is now available in India but they still have to import the glass wool from the states which on a budget is not the best thing for you.

Coming back to the point if glass wool is bad for health, i would like to put a point across if that was the case why would manufacturers like GIK Acoustics, Primacoustic etc.. would still be using Glass Wool??
I agree glass wool is hazardous but when exposed to the material directly in contact with body for long periods of time over time. If you have seen any instructional video about DIY bass traps or absorbers, you must have noticed

On one of the well known forums online for acoustic has a test result listed for an acoustic test that was done buy the forum members on products by Auralex, Real Traps, GIK Acoustic and one other company im forgetting the name of, surprisingly the test results shows on the forum revealed that acoustic foam from Auralex had the best results out of the 4. While others absorbers made of glass wool absorbed frequencies ranging from 80hz - 500hz, acoustic foam of 64 kg density absorbed frequencies as low as 25hz - 500hz... I can look for the forum and share the test results if anyone wants to see for them selves.

So moral of the story glass wool in the form of a ready absorber is not bad at all but in contact directly with the body is very hazardous.

So basically why i ranted all this stuff is that after i was completely satisfied with making my own absorber & bass trap, i tested them and the test results were very bad. The low frequency was not absorbed at all, the graph showed absorption from 500hz & above. I gave up on DIY and decided to go with these guys Cue Acoustic India i tested the bass traps that i bought from these guys from cue acoustic and i was very happy with the test results. The cue acoustic bass traps tested absorption from as low as 40hz to as high as 2000hz. Their broad band absorbers tested from frequency 150hz - 20khz.

So for all you having problems with your room acoustic check these guys out or go the DIY way and if you manage to make anything decent please definitely share it on the forum for us to see.

Regards,
A.H.

Hi audiohead,

Interesting post.

Incidentally, I have personally designed and implemented the acoustic treatment in my room. I have use Medium density Fibre wool on the walls and part of the ceiling.....

Care has been taken to have a mix of absorptive and reflective surfaces..... diffusers on the 1st reflection points on the wall and behind the listener.

No corner bass traps used.

I love Bass and I know its VERY VERY diffficult to tame bass and get it right. Most audiophiles cop out and set up systems which are bass shy..... a pity...

I have Very large Floor standing speakers ( each with 3 nos 8 inch woofers ! ) and a rather small room ( 14.5 ft length x 10.5 feet width x 9 feet height). Amplification is 400 Watts per channel into these speakers using mono blocks. The sound level reproduced are pretty high, if the mood calls for it.

It may seem like an impossible task, but Fibre wool ( 3 inch thick with a 3 inch air gap before the wall ) has done wonders !

You are welcome for a listen, since you too are in Mumbai...

Hi audiohead,

You mentioned that you tested the Cue acoustics bass traps, Can you please share the pricing for these traps.

Thanks,
Murali.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back