DIY Room Accoustics for Home-Theatre

shelley

Hi all,

The civil works for my dedicated home theatre on 3rd floor is completed and have painted cement primer on the walls. Electrification work with concealed pvc pipes for speakers for a 7.1 system was already done during construction.

Room Dimensions:
===========
24 feet length and 14 feet wide.
No windows. 2 wooden doors for entrance.
Second row for seating has been raised by constructiing a platform with a passage through the middle of the platform.

Room accoustics:
==========
I am about to start treating the room. I have gone through several threads, including that by santhosh, which was very informative. But I am confused regarding certain aspects:
1. Material to be used:
============
Whether to go in for Glass wool or Rock Wool or Wood Wool.
My son is a medical student and he has warned me against using glass wool as it is not good for health in the long run, even if we use glass wool tissue to cover it. A accoustic consultaint who is doing large studio projects has recommended to use Rockwool covered with RP Tissue.

Rockwool Slabs consist of long fine fibres spun from molten natural rock and bonded with a thermosetting resin. Rockwool Slabs have the best combination of thermal insulation and fire protection properties.

RP Tissue is a non woven, thin, flexible, uniformly bonded mat composed of technically resistant suitable Glass Fiber, distributed in a random, open porous structure, bonded together with an inert material.

Is rock wool brittle and will it get powdery ??
Opinion about using Wood Wool ??

I have contacted a dealer at Chennai to supply Rockwool and RP Tissue at the following rates:
Rockwool Slabs from S.Elumalai Insulation Services,Chennai,Tamil Nadu,India,ID: 4392372730

Rock wool slab 48kg density 50mm thick @ 135/square Meter + 5% tax
1 Bundle = 8.4 sq: meter
1 square meter = 10.417 Square Feet
So square feet rate is Rs. 13.16/- square feet
RP Tissue is Rs.15/- per square meter

Wood Wool is supplied by a company at Bangalore:
VINARDAX - WOOD WOOL BOARDS
They have quoted Rs.250/- + 5 % tax
Per sq: feet will come to approximately Rs.31.25/-

I am confused regarding selection of the material?? Requesting help..
Will post photos soon...

Shelley
Regards

I have settled with Wood Wool as acoustic material. My plan is as follows:
Front wall (Screen) - complete treatment of the whole wall
Left and Right Side walls: Treatment upto 5 feet high
Ceiling: Treatment Upto 50 % from front wall using acoustic tiles by Saint Gobain:
Gyptone : Rs.40/sq. Feet
False Ceiling | Gypsum Ceiling Panels | Gyptone | Saint-Gobain Gyproc Products
Rest of the ceiling will be plain Gypsum Board with side panels for Halogen lights and LED strips on inside of side panels.

Corners will be treated with Bass Traps. Not Yet decided..Will Wood Wool with higher density suffice ??

Comapnies like Himalaya and Anutone are now doing their fibre based boards using Wood Wool. It has NRC values of nearly 0.84.

Flying to Bangalore tommorrow. Will visit Anutone.. and need to buy Stanley Wood Stapler too...

Can somebody from Bangalore suggest where good quality Burlap is available..???

Hi Shelly,

I am also starting the acoustics for my dedicated HT room this weekend. I am planning the following and in the process of negotiating a deal with the dealer. My options are expensive compared to yours, but the materials are pretty safer to use. I am going to use materials from a local manufactured in Bangalore called Anutone - Commercial interiors | Decor panels | Modern building materials

My room size is 24'x15.6'x10'. And this room is my HT + Stereo listening room.

1. False ceiling - Anutone Subtex Ebony (black color) (Anutone - makes you feel good) with black color matching channels and accessories. Rate including accessories and panels are Rs 127/sft. I will put his ceiling on my entire ceiling. You would only need to pay installation labor charges. So the approximate cost including labor would be Rs 150/sft. The false ceiling will drop 1' from the ceiling. I will have Cassette AC installed in the ceiling and all the speaker wires will be pulled through the ceiling, which will be covered by the false ceiling.

2. Both side walls will have 4' tall absorbers running from front of speakers to 12' towards the seating. These absorbers will start from 15" from the floor. These absorbers are made using 2'x4' Strand (Anutone - Drywalls . Ceilings . Panelling . Acoustics) from Anutone backed by 2 layers of 2" Synth PF (Anutone - Drywalls . Ceilings . Panelling . Acoustics) from Anutone. I will have 12 numbers of 2'x'4'x4" absorber board, 6 on each side, made using the above materials inside a plywood frame. Anutone Strand is priced at Rs 78/sft and Anutone Synth PF is priced at Rs 47/sft.

3. Front wall (screen wall) will have pyramid shaped acoustics foam from Aurica - Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Aurica Pyramid Shaped Acoustical Foam Panel 2' x 2' x 2 - August Deal - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio .

4. I have a CD/LP rack that runs entire length of the rear wall that should act as a natural diffuser. I am not treating the back wall right now. If needed, I will use the same Aurica products to treat the back wall.

5. I will have floor to ceiling corner bass traps made from Anutone Synth PF packing. The bass trap is not triangular. Its rectangular with 6" thickness and 3 layers of 2" Synth PF will be filled in that inside a plywood panel. These rectangular traps will be placed in all 4 corners. I got the idea from this site - Do-it-Yourself Bass Traps By Ethan Winer | Audio Undone

6. The remaining walls will be paneled with 6mm plywood covered with a reflective polyester cloth to enhance the the room reflection. And these thin panels will be screwed at a 1" gap from the wall.

7. Planning to put a thick carpet on the floor where the first reflection hits. Right now I have laminated wooden floor and they reflect a lot of sound!.

This is an interesting read if you have not already gone through it -

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

Thanks,
-John.

John, I am also in similar situation now. My dedicated HT room is almost done but havent started any acoustic treatment so far. I am currently busy with finishing all other pending work at home and once I finish all of them and move in. I will start the acoustic work.
Dimension of the HT room is 18x12x10. I have a window and a door . Initially I thought of not have having any windows but my better half suggested to have one in case if its needed in future. Anyways I will have the Sliding window panel for it so I can cover this with plywood or have a thick curtain covering them. Its actually at the front wall so thinking of having a motorized projector screen in front of it.
Since we live in same city it will be easy to coordinate our HT build. What you say??
:beer:

John, I am also in similar situation now. My dedicated HT room is almost done but havent started any acoustic treatment so far. I am currently busy with finishing all other pending work at home and once I finish all of them and move in. I will start the acoustic work.
Dimension of the HT room is 18x12x10. I have a window and a door . Initially I thought of not have having any windows but my better half suggested to have one in case if its needed in future. Anyways I will have the Sliding window panel for it so I can cover this with plywood or have a thick curtain covering them. Its actually at the front wall so thinking of having a motorized projector screen in front of it.
Since we live in same city it will be easy to coordinate our HT build. What you say??
:beer:

Sure buddy :) PM me your number. Which area in Bangalore are you located. I am planning to start my HT build thread tonite.

-John.

Will be in Bangalore by Today evening...
I have received quotes from a firm in Mumbai (Balaji Wood Wool Insulation-INDIA - Home)...
His rates are bit on the higher side..Has fabric covered wood wool too..I am going the DIY route and Anutone or Himalaya does not seem to be the economical optiion...and the extra joy of DIY :)

I got te below quote for pyramid foam, check it out the one on Bajao seems to be very expensive

"SUB; accoustic foam 50mm thickness as per shown website 010 dimension 1+2meters

Dear sir
we recieved your mail dated. 05-04-2013 we would like to inform you that we are ready to supply the sound absorption and fire retardant pu foam as per rate below mentioned.

01 ACCOUSTIC PU FOAM ( sound absorption & fire retardant egg crate shaped)
1000+2000 MM 50 MM THICKNESS RS 2100-00 each sheet

VAT 5.5% & TRASPORT CHARGES EXTRA
ADVANCE PAYMENT
kindly send your order at an earliest
Thanking you
yours faithfully
for standard industrial agency
rafeeq ahmed rafeeq & nbsp; & nbsp; Proprietor
phone 9880834378
e mail [email protected] "

This one is at half the price.

@Shelly,
Do talk to Vinardax too. Genuine guy - not a rip off. I have visited their factory and the rates are very competitive. He also does the turnkey thing (wood wool plus fabric covering) for a certain amount per sq ft.

@Ketan strange that i being in Mysore hadn't heard of this "standard industrial agency". Guys, do let me know if you need some interfacing (or something else) with this guy - i might be able to help since i'm from Mysore.

@sash this time I'll have to say "its a big world" lol
Similarly for a long time I didnt know that Anutone has an office at a walking distance of 5 mins from my house.

Shelley, are you visiting their office which is in indranagar or whitefield ?? i heard from my interior designer that whitefield one is their warehouse. awaiting your feedback after you meet them.

@John, i am located in Marathalli but moving to Sarjapura( my new nest). since you have already started working on it, do keep us posted on the progress (upload few pics)..:)

Hi all,

I am back after visiting Antone, Vinardax and few others..Anutone customer care is horrible. After visiting their office, i was asked to wait at a shed (not apt to call it a reception). A sleepy girl came to me and told that all marketing persons are outside the office and there was no help. she called the regional manager and i talked to him over phone. The guy was talking as if he was the only supplier of acoustical products in the world :). They have 2 wood wool based products:
Strand SS : quoted Rs.75/- per sq: feet (inclusive of tax)
Strand: around Rs.110/- per square ft
Both the products are over priced and my advise is not to go for branded products like Anutone, Himalaya etc. They are fleecing customers who do not have any knowledge regarding acoustic materials. We as DIY people should do research and go for most economical and healthy options which will give the same end results as these over priced products.

Visited Vinardax. Wood Wool is made using pine wood. Some maufacturers mix mango tree wood along with pine wood. It is bonded with magnesite and is anti-termite treated. We can also spray paint colours/dye over wood wool if required. That is how Anutone provides coloured Wood Wool Slabs...Not Rocket Science :)

Wood Wool:
be6mux.png

Excelsior-Wood-Fibers.jpg

Why should we pay Anutone Rs.75/- sq: feet (Strand SS) when we are getting the same product for around Rs.30/-....They may try to out sell you quoting "quality is different"...cliches..Never fall for it. Pine wood is the same everywhere..Anutone also outsources it from some manufacturers and sell the stuff for double the price :)

After viewing the product I have a change in plan:
Hessian Cloth (Jute) /Burlap can be pasted directly over wood wool slabs (4 ft x 2 fft) or can be stapled using wood stapler. Hence no perforated plywood is required as in glass wool. We can make 4ft x 2ft frames made of MDF reapers (MDF is termite free) with 1 inch depth and fill it with wood wool slabs with burlap fabric covering over the frames. The outcome will be acoustically treated room with better aesthetics, and at very low cost. We can save on perforated plywood/MDF and tissue. At 4 corners we can add 50 mm polyfibre sheets of 1000 or 500 GSM as bass traps.
Polyfibre costs:
1000GSM : Rs.35/- sq: feet
500 GSM: Rs.20/- sq: feet

Hessian Cloth (Burlap) suppliers: (will be cheaper at Kolkata being the main centre for jute products)
hessian-cloth-250x250.jpg

http://www.jutegoodsindia.net/hessian-cloth-burlap.html

Wood Stapler is available at Bangalore at the following shop:
Ace Trading, N.R. Road, Next to Pyramid Machine Tools, Bangalore
Ph: 080-42108735
Kaymo Brand. There are 2 types Pneumatic (Which is costly) @ Rs. 6,720/- and Hand Type Rs.1, 600/-.

So both the products Wood Wool and Polyfibre are eco friendly and not bad for health unlike Glass wool/Rockwool.

Another supplier for Wood Wool:
Balaji Wood Wool Insulation-INDIA - Products

His quotes are as follows:
1)4' x 2' x 15mm thk for Rs.52 /sq.ft(natural texture)
2) 4' x 2' x 25 mm thk for Rs. 68/sq.ft(natural texture).
3)4' x 2' x 50 mm thk for Rs. 110/sq.ft(natural texture).
The above prices are ex-factory Vasai.
12.5% VAT will be extra.

Related products - Pricing:

Foam Pyramid 50 mm is available for Rs.100/- sq: ft...(can act as diffusers)..

Pre-laminated Perforated MDF: (Not necessary for Wood Wool, if you need it for aesthetic value, it's okay)
wood-perforated-acoustic-panels-229930.jpg

8 mm Rs.60/sq: ft
12mm Rs.75/Sq:ft
17mm Rs.90/Sq:ft

Perforated Gypsum Board: (For Ceiling)-Bigger boards means less joints and will look good)
6' x 4' board :Rs. 25/sq:ft (Micro or Macro perforated)
Compare this with Saint Gobain 2x2 perforated boards (Gyptone) @ Rs.39/- sq:ft

I have provided pricing for most of the products I have come across which will help in better planning. The prices were lacking in most of the posts I came across and had no idea on how much the project will cost...So please try to provide pricing and city to assess the real market values, which will help all of us :)

Any opinions or suggestions regarding my current plan ????

Last edited:
@Ketan
Standard Industrial Agency has not posted NRC values of the products..I think it is mostly for flooring with anti-skid properties. PVC with sponge rubber..

Thick carpet will do for flooring..will look nice too..

@shelly great information - thank you.
I have two questions -
1. Where do you get this polyfibre?
2. Do you get MDF reapers directly somewhere? Or should you buy the MDF sheets and cut smaller pieces from that?
3. What is your plan on treating the room? Are you planning to hang these panels at vantage points or are you planning to put frames on the entire wall and fix wood wool boards on all of them? I'm thinking you are as concerned about aesthetics as acoustics.
4. What's the plan for ceiling? Pls do consider some treatment for the ceiling AND most importantly ensure the ceiling is dark in colour.
Also pls keep this thread updated. There are many who are watching this and would help many more in the future.

Re: DIY Room Acoustics for Home-Theatre

Polyfibre can be obtained from the following link:
Polyfibre, Polyfibre India, Recycled Fibers, Recycled Fiber Manufacturer, Recycled Polyester Fiber, Regenerated Polyester Fiber India, Recycled Polyester Staple Fiber, Recycled Polyester Fiber India, Polyester Fiber, Polyester Fiber India, RPSF India

Anutone also supplies Polyfibre (Synth PF)..Ofcourse costs will be higher...Polyfibre is same material either supplied by X or by Y..One is branded another is not. That is the only difference :)

For MDF we need to buy 8x4 sheets .75 inches thick (Exterior Grade MDF which is Water Proof, Fire Proof and Termite Proof) and cut them into pieces to make a frame. (4 x 2 frame size - same as wood wool board dimensions). wood wool is 18 mm thick, ie: .70 inches thick. so my frame depth will be something like 1.5'' thick so that i can place nail hangers on the back of the frame and hang it on nails fixed to wall. Ensure that it is tightly fixed to avoid vibration. MDF from Greenply is good quality stuff. Laminated is not necessary. Plain MDF board from Greenply costs around Rs 1440/- (8' x 4' sheet).

I will have space on the front side for wood wool and just behind it it will be supported with mdf frames across and have some space behind it for air gap between walls and Wood wool. I will place nail hangers just behind the cross frame so that I can hang the finished panels on the wall side by side. Advantage is that panels can be removed easily, if needed. Will post pictures once I start work. :)

Ceiling upto 15 feet from screen will be done using perforated Gypsum Board with wood wool backing . My room is 24 ft length. Gypsum boards can be painted with color of your choice. I will be using dark grey burlap cloths for the side walls..
Overdoing acoustics for home theatre will give a dead room. Studio acoustics is different. Do acoustics only as needed as some reflection too is necessary for home theatre setup, which will give good results at an affordable cost..

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back