DIY - Room Acoustics..

I did two such panels - One with a print on canvas for the TDK poster and the second using a poster for Jurassic World. The canvas looks much better but is a more expensive option. The Poster looks good but not in comparison with canvas.

To look at very high resolution images There is a thread in blu-ray.com, on textless posters which IMO look classier.

The poster got it from vistaprint for Rs. 270.

The canvas print was from pics.in and got a rolled canvas print for Rs. 3000 for a 3'*2'.

End result was something like this.
Looks really great. Could you please post a picture of the jurassic one for comparison in quality of print?
Also won't canvas be a little less absorptive as compared to fabric print?

Looks really great. Could you please post a picture of the jurassic one for comparison in quality of print?
Also won't canvas be a little less absorptive as compared to fabric print?
I will get the pics of the Jurassic world one in the evening. Ideally, best material would be burlap or spandex but the effort of getting it printed is much more. So there is a possibility of high freq reflection based on the material, I was more concerned of the mid to lower frequencies.

The one from Jurassic World Acoustic Panel for comparison. BTW I realised that the GIK Acoustic Art Panels are also made on Canvas.

Thanks a lot. I see you bought just a poster which is not exactly to size. But IMO the print quality in both looks quite comparable Atleast in images.
I'm looking at my options for the printing. Hoping to build two panels in this manner for my bedroom. Would be a slow project though.

Both were online printing sites where I uploaded images to print. In canvas, the material stretches a bit. But they dont offer custom printing sizes atleast online.

Some delay in procuring the fabric.. Got some more fabric to cover the traps.. Took help from wife to stitch it, so that i can use it like pillow cover over the bass traps..

zriF2Cl.jpg

CmI7Aox.jpg

Now have to get the fabric stitched for 11 more traps of similar sizes.. Once done, will start to fill the traps with mineral wool and cover it with fabric and some fine day to place it on ceiling :) .. (like the below image)

nmVUbQi.png

Was able to fill loose wool with 4 traps and wrap them in fabric..

ojSst9o.jpg

OpeUNjN.jpg

Finishing looks like a Candy style wrap :p ..

ZYlkbCQ.jpg

Completed wrapping 8 other traps with mosquito mesh.. Hoping to complete filling the remaining traps by the weekend..

6bB681E.jpg

Once filling and wrapping with fabric is complete, Dad & Brother agreed to help me slide these traps on ceiling on the wooden structure..

cnThUwZ.jpg

7RerOkf.jpg

fY93Xu3.jpg

Was able to fill loose wool with 4 traps and wrap them in fabric..

ojSst9o.jpg

OpeUNjN.jpg

Finishing looks like a Candy style wrap :p ..

ZYlkbCQ.jpg

Completed wrapping 8 other traps with mosquito mesh.. Hoping to complete filling the remaining traps by the weekend..

6bB681E.jpg

Once filling and wrapping with fabric is complete, Dad & Brother agreed to help me slide these traps on ceiling on the wooden structure..

cnThUwZ.jpg

7RerOkf.jpg

fY93Xu3.jpg
Really good DIY effort, are you treating the roof as well ?
Interested to see how this is going to turn will drop in for an audition once this is over.

Really good DIY effort, are you treating the roof as well ? Interested to see how this is going to turn will drop in for an audition once this is over.

Thank you Sandy.. Not entire ceiling, but where high walls meet ceiling.. Only those corners for now.. Since it is a living room, i don't have much liberty doing it in other places..

Sure.. Welcome..Will update once i complete it..

Last edited:
Why not ? Why did you give up , would be great on the front wall as well .

Would like to, but lil concerned as it is one of most accessible area in the living room.. The idea was to add absorption behind the AT screen so it isn't visible to eye, but does the function.. I can do only 4 inches behind the AT screen and the wall behind it..

UFwgt2W.jpg

Done filling the remaining traps and wrapped them with fabric..

xQJlQiQ.jpg

Total rockwool consumed (all inclusive) for the traps is roughly abt 110 cu.ft (or) 320 Kgs so far.. (Each bag of loose wool is 40 Kgs x 8 bags)..
How much does it cost for 320Kg.
Tremendous work and effort that you have put in.

How's the feedback after audition ?
Any measurements before and after treating , would be interested to see the difference it makes .

Did you also plan to add an extra 12 inch driver ?

Keep rocking !!

How much does it cost for 320Kg.

Approx 8 bags (each bag is 40 Kgs).. Each bag is Rs 1,180, so totally abt 9.5K for rockwool alone + an other Rs 1,500 to ship to my place.. Approx 11 ~ 12K for rockwool, shippinng..

Tremendous work and effort that you have put in.

How's the feedback after audition ?
Any measurements before and after treating , would be interested to see the difference it makes .

Keep rocking !!

Thank you.. Didn't take any pre-measurements.. Had done it earlier.. So for sure it can be assumed that decay was / would be worst with no absorption in the room..

Did you also plan to add an extra 12 inch driver ?

Nope.. Didn't add additional 12 inch driver.. Already have 4 x 12 inch subs.. Content with 4 subs :p ..

With help from brother and dad, managed to slide the traps on to the ceiling wooden enclosure..

Few pics of the room post installing the traps..

Traps are 16inch thick in height, 30 inches wide from all sides of the wall..

wzADVnD.jpg

ddcKLE3.jpg

BoKeNam.jpg

WWzoOmY.jpg

Wasn't able to click the full ceiling view with mobile camera.. Yet to measure the response and check the decay times.. Will do it over the coming weekend..

With help from brother and dad, managed to slide the traps on to the ceiling wooden enclosure..

Traps are 16inch thick in height, 30 inches wide from all sides of the wall..

Hope you are content with your treatments now :p with the amount of traps you have added in ur living room. Eagerly waiting for your measurements. ;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back