DIY - Room Acoustics..

Just some math.. I had ordered 54 MMT foams, each 2 inch thickness.. Approx 108 inch total..

From the above aliexpress link, foams are 1 inch thick of 24 panels, so 24 inch thickness.. To get to 108 inch thickness, you got to multiply by 4 (or) 5.. So that makes it $65 alone for product ,then shipping, then customs + VAT any.. The total amount may come close to MMT foams price..
The Aliexpress link you sent works out like this:
48 pieces of 30x30x2.5cms = Rs.1920
Shipping = 383
Total= Rs.2303
You double this amount to attain 2 inch thickness.
Works out to 65USD including shipping.
There is no VAT.
There may or may not be customs duty. You just have to be lucky!

The Aliexpress link you sent works out like this:
48 pieces of 30x30x2.5cms = Rs.1920
Shipping = 383
Total= Rs.2303
You double this amount to attain 2 inch thickness.
Works out to 65USD including shipping.
There is no VAT.
There may or may not be customs duty. You just have to be lucky!

Right.. I meant GST, VAT was a slip..

@elangoas just out of curiosity, and forgive me if this has already been discussed, but, have you tried with readymade sofa foam?
I'm working on treating my room to dampen the echo.

@elangoas just out of curiosity, and forgive me if this has already been discussed, but, have you tried with readymade sofa foam?

Sure.. Not a problem.. Feel free.. Sofa foams too can be good alternative choice, as they come in big sizes, varying density and standard colours.. Yes, i did consider sofa foams, but dropped the idea as i have an opportunity to make the room little bit colorful with the 1 x 1 ft pyramid foams..

Technically a sofa foam should be better than these pyramid foams as it would have even thickness for 1 x 1 ft.. Only downside being, they may not look good with the standard colours (or) may not be aesthetically good addition to the room..

I'm working on treating my room to dampen the echo.

Great.. Do share pics once you treat the room..

Sure.. Not a problem.. Feel free.. Sofa foams too can be good alternative choice, as they come in big sizes, varying density and standard colours.. Yes, i did consider sofa foams, but dropped the idea as i have an opportunity to make the room little bit colorful with the 1 x 1 ft pyramid foams..

Technically a sofa foam should be better than these pyramid foams as it would have even thickness for 1 x 1 ft.. Only downside being, they may not look good with the standard colours (or) may not be aesthetically good addition to the room..

Great.. Do share pics once you treat the room..
I'm going the DIY route. I'm half done. Will definitely share pics. I'm planning on covering the foam structure with a nice upholstery material, for aesthetics. Let's see how it turns out! Fingers crossed

Received the material yesterday.. Some pics of it..

Packing was very neat
r0VUJhE.jpg

5u4Lmx3.jpg

Bought 2 cans of Adhesive Spray
0CHANZF.jpg

c4nUmUd.jpg

Some unpacking instruction on foams
dS0k7hA.jpg

Foams after following the above instructions
lY38Lm2.jpg

27 Pcs of Orange & 27 pcs of Black..

The Orange foam is a tad bright to my liking.. But still fine.. Quality of the foams seem good to me..

Will need to affix them to walls over the weekend.. Will share pics of the room once done..

Got a dual 8” deep omega8 sub to match with omega super 3i speakers, whose freq range is 55-120khz. what can be the ideal crossover for the dual subs to start experimenting. Normally, it is said to be around 10 above the speaker freq, in my case around 65-70, but even beyond 150hz, I find it to be smooth. Is it ok for it to be that high? Being dual sub, is there any diff in crossover settings? Your views can be helpful.

Got a dual 8” deep omega8 sub to match with omega super 3i speakers, whose freq range is 55-120khz. what can be the ideal crossover for the dual subs to start experimenting. Normally, it is said to be around 10 above the speaker freq, in my case around 65-70, but even beyond 150hz, I find it to be smooth. Is it ok for it to be that high? Being dual sub, is there any diff in crossover settings? Your views can be helpful.
Wrong thread

Received the material yesterday.. Some pics of it..

Do you plan on soundproofing the door as well?

I'm looking for some inputs with this for myself. Cannot really do any crazy mods or anything but just something simple like maybe sealing the gaps with something?

I also saw this video on youtube showing how a rug against a door can block off the noise for the outsiders.

I'm looking for some inputs with this for myself. Cannot really do any crazy mods or anything but just something simple like maybe sealing the gaps with something?

I also saw this video on youtube showing how a rug against a door can block off the noise for the outsiders.
Weather seal your door..
Total cost will be maximum of 2k rupees
Just Google it.

@cooltoad
I would like to see a pic of your system

I think you have a set of wonderful speakers and subwoofer.

My speakers do -2dB at 55 Hz and i have crossed over on the crossover pot at about 80 Hz

I find the subwoofer to strengthen the presentation in an overall manner and plunge downwards as and when the music requires it to.

Have you tried using the speaker level connections on your subwoofer or are u using sub out from your amplifier ( 2 RCA ) ?

which amp and source do you use ?

regards

@cooltoad
I would like to see a pic of your system

I think you have a set of wonderful speakers and subwoofer.

My speakers do -2dB at 55 Hz and i have crossed over on the crossover pot at about 80 Hz

I find the subwoofer to strengthen the presentation in an overall manner and plunge downwards as and when the music requires it to.

Have you tried using the speaker level connections on your subwoofer or are u using sub out from your amplifier ( 2 RCA ) ?

which amp and source do you use ?

regards
Thanks, Using Almarro a205mkii with Mac mini, chord mojo and speaker level input. What speaker amp system you have?

Nope.. I don't have any plans to soundproof the door.. I don't know what you think might work.. But if your AVR has Audyssey LFC, try and see options if engaging that helps..

Followed the instructions of keeping the can, approx 20 cms away from foam and spraying the adhesive on it..
oLNBeA0.jpg

With some help from wife, was able to complete most of front wall..
dMbrX19.jpg

I would still need to cut the foams partially and fix on the front wall gaps.. I think i have almost exhausted the foams.. Just 6 sqft area of foams remaining..

Played some regional multi-channel music content from amazon prime movies, and there was nice echo in the room in some part of the song sequence.. It felt nice.. echo felt like it stretched to ceiling.. (could be coz i always use Dolby Digital + and Dolby surround up-mixer) for the heights..

Didn't get much time to check, will do over the coming weekends and share more feedback..

Followed the instructions of keeping the can, approx 20 cms away from foam and spraying the adhesive on it..
oLNBeA0.jpg

With some help from wife, was able to complete most of front wall..
dMbrX19.jpg

I would still need to cut the foams partially and fix on the front wall gaps.. I think i have almost exhausted the foams.. Just 6 sqft area of foams remaining..

Played some regional multi-channel music content from amazon prime movies, and there was nice echo in the room in some part of the song sequence.. It felt nice.. echo felt like it stretched to ceiling.. (could be coz i always use Dolby Digital + and Dolby surround up-mixer) for the heights..

Didn't get much time to check, will do over the coming weekends and share more feedback..
The lengths you go for achieving that 'perfect sound' is awesome!

Hello all!

This is my DIY attempt with Acoustic Panels.

The look of ready-made acoustic panels might not be to everyone's taste, it definitely wasn't to mine! I was considering alternatives.
The problem I was looking to solve was to cut the flutter echo in the music room.

Online scavenging of text and videos gave me a couple of ideas, and I decided to take the DIY route.
First, I needed something effective, and something aesthetically pleasing, and also something that’ll be in harmony with the existing décor.

I decided on working with 2” Aluminium L-Channels for the frame, as the finishing would be superior, with minimal work, and also keep the weight down.
I went for Triangles as the shape of the frame to keep things interesting.
The smaller triangles are 18” on each side and the bigger triangles are 24” per side.
The frame is lined with canvas to soften the aluminium surface.
The stuffing inside the frame is 32 density sofa foam of 50mm thickness.
The frame is wrapped in Khadi fabric, as it is highly absorbent.

The advantage with this method is that whenever you decide to change the look you can just remove the fabric and wrap a new one around the frame to suit your taste. You cannot do this with the readymade acoustic panels, you’re stuck with it, literally!

I initially wanted to wrap canvas on the frame and paint portraits of my favourite rock stars, in black and white. Painting on the canvas can block the pores, seal them, and negate the whole purpose of the panels, hence dropped the idea. This would’ve been really cool though.

The total cost of this project was less than Rs.4,000/-

Observation:
The echo effect has been minimized, the lower frequencies which previously sounded flabby have been tamed and tightened.
Good separation, minimal overlapping.
I'm missing certain subtle sibilance which I liked, will have to play around with the panels or subtract a few to make them sound just right.

Advice:
You’ll have to be careful in treating the room. Over treating can result in cutting out the liveliness from the music and make the music sound ‘dead’, in other words, you might lose the reverb effect which is desired to an extent to make music sound desirable.

Alternative DIY Options:
If you’re interested in exploring the DIY route here are some options to consider with regards to making a frame.
  • For the ones who are not comfortable with tools, you could buy readymade frames used for art painting (without the canvas), stuff it with sofa foam, wrap fabric on it, and hang it on the wall like a painting. These frames can be had for cheap.
  • Another option would be to source pinewood reapers, cut them to size and nail 4 reapers together to make a frame.
  • You can also source reapers from your local glass supplier, as the glass is transported to them from the glass factories in rubberwood frames. These reapers can be had for pretty cheap.
  • Alternatively, If you can totally boss over a hand wood-cutting machine you can prepare a frame with 8mm plywood (thickness will depend on the size of the frame). This method will be tedious, as cutting plywood in a straight line is an art in itself! The cost could be a little higher for this method, but the advantage will be smooth finished sides.
If driving nails into wood is a challenge you can try the Bostik No More Nails glue. This thing can hold a train together!

I used the 3M Fast Bond Tape to stick the fabric on the inside of the frame. Strong tape this one. Fabric can be removed and stuck multiple times, no hassle if you want to change the fabric later on.

You can also use a big stape gun, like this one, to staple the fabric to the wood on the inside. Replacing the fabric would be a challenge with this method.

You can also rotate a square frame to make it into a diamond/rhombus while placing them on the wall, play around with the placing, with different colours and layouts, you’ll have plenty of options to work for you and your room!

Easest Method:
Stick sofa foam on the wall with one-inch sized two-sided tape on the 4 corners of the foam. Stick longer length tape if you’ve no confidence that the tape will hold (RIP painted wall)
Sofa foam comes in a size of 3’x6’, cut them to the desired size first.
Once you’ve stuck the foam, instal curtain rods and just draw a cotton curtain over them! Simple!

@elangoas , I hope I haven’t hijacked your thread. Forgive me if I have. I can move this to a new thread.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back