DIY Single Ended Tube/SS Amplifier Kit - Preliminary Inquiry

Hi all.. very interesting.. on tube amps... after long time am reopening this thread..
am in same stage what Hiten was at 2018.. am planning for SET tube amp.. diy..
but one of my frnd advises dont go for any diy as he had tried a lot nd wasted money.. for trial nd error.. can any one suggest diy or any SET tube amp are available in India..

am in same stage what Hiten was at 2018.. am planning for SET tube amp.. diy..
Please dont be like me. All my projects are like governments long term projects. My list of project are... DIY turntable, Tube amp, SS Amp. all are pending. Probably speaker too are pending. I have completed only one DIY project that is Phono preamp (thanks to Sachin) that too took me around 4 years. Basically I am lazy DIY person (My earliar avatar was Beetle Bailey :p). Most of my time is alloted to my profession.

As this was my experimental project I didn't cared for speakers. I would advice you to first look for high sensitivity speakers. then decide on tube amp. I have some tube related old parts from a member. If you want DIY see if they are useful to you. or I will give you his contact details. (Parts are in my office and we are under lockdown. so will take time)
Regards.

Hi Hiten.. thanks for ur reply..
me to same as u.. soooooo lasy.. but enjoying with what my current setup.. am in phase of room treatment.. and tube amp 300b is my dream.. can u suggest any high sensitivity speaker.. thanks keep in touch. by Raam.

RaamG,
Fact is I am not experienced with high sensitivity speakers. Pl. wait others may reply soon.
Regards.

Hi Hiten.. thanks for ur reply..
me to same as u.. soooooo lasy.. but enjoying with what my current setup.. am in phase of room treatment.. and tube amp 300b is my dream.. can u suggest any high sensitivity speaker.. thanks keep in touch. by Raam.
Klipsch speakers maybe worth while looking into!

Klipsch speakers maybe worth while looking into!
Klipsch is good with 2A3 amplifiers with something like the Rp600M. However don't consider the SB series or the cheaper boxes, stick to the earlier reference series and the new equivalent reference premium. Also don't go too small, I found that they have a different tonal balance. My experience with RF-3 and heavily upgraded Lyrita was brilliant. The Lyrita self noise became unbearable and eventually I gave up. But on a good day, the amp could play music with a smouldering intensity that got you pinned to your seat and hanging on to every note. Earlier I had RB-61 and that too was great with a 2A3 amplifier. The RB-61 2A3 combination too was so good, each instrument was in its own acoustic space. Very hard to replicate this. For people who don't want to DIY super efficient single drivers, Klipsch are a viable alternative at an affordable price when the amp in consideration is a 2A3. No experience with 300B. Good OPTs are a must as are power transformer, power capacitors and coupling caps. The tubes in a 2A3 are relatively cheap and last a long time. A considerable outlay assuming one knows what he/she is doing. Rajkumar on these forums has built a JE Labs 2A3 with James OPTs and Hammond iron, waiting for lock down to end so I can ship it Bangalore. My mileage might vary and I will find out if this has the magic.

Last edited:
Klipsch is good with 2A3 amplifiers with something like the Rp600M. However don't consider the SB series or the cheaper boxes, stick to the earlier reference series and the new equivalent reference premium. Also don't go too small, I found that they have a different tonal balance. My experience with RF-3 and heavily upgraded Lyrita was brilliant. The Lyrita self noise became unbearable and eventually I gave up. But on a good day, the amp could play music with a smouldering intensity that got you pinned to your seat and hanging on to every note. Earlier I had RB-61 and that too was great with a 2A3 amplifier. The RB-61 2A3 combination too was so good, each instrument was in its own acoustic space. Very hard to replicate this. For people who don't want to DIY super efficient single drivers, Klipsch are a viable alternative at an affordable price when the amp in consideration is a 2A3. No experience with 300B. Good OPTs are a must as are power transformer, power capacitors and coupling caps. The tubes in a 2A3 are relatively cheap and last a long time. A considerable outlay assuming one knows what he/she is doing. Rajkumar on these forums has built a JE Labs 2A3 with James OPTs and Hammond iron, waiting for lock down to end so I can ship it Bangalore. My mileage might vary and I will find out if this has the magic.
Are there any pics of the mentioned unit? Maybe you can post it here?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back