Tube Amp adventure

rajan-

I have no experience with Tube amps

Last trip back home, I found the my old tube amp (courtesy of a good friend) sitting in the cupboard,

No idea about the brand , I searched online and found very little info about it. (GS-Audio GS-Mini 2008 )
Its HEAVY, 2 x heavy Output transformers and 1 power transformer.

80W power consumption for 6W x 2 power output ... suggest Class A

Anyways, I thought I have to try this with my Horn speakers, so lugged it back to Mel.

one of the small tubes were broken, so replaced GE 5670
The power tubes (EL84) no issues, I think they are JJ

found the Volume pot not working, replaced that

power switch burned out, when I powered it ON, (possibly due to it not being used for years), so Bypassed the power switch. expected things to go really bad on the next power on, but its holding steady.

Its got a built-in DAC, (pcm2702E), and head phone out

Hooked it to my laptop and connected a head phone, and no crackle, seems to play well.

Alrite, got a little more courageous now that I didn't burn things down,

1. removed the Schiit Modi DAC from my SS pre-amp and connected as source (didn't want to use the onboard DAC)
2. Removed the DIY speaker wires from Bridged mono SS power amps, and hooked them up
3. Disconnected the REL Sub from the whole chain (didn't want to risk blowing that up)
There was a barely audible hum (If I put my ears next to the speaker drivers), when there is no signal & seems to go away when there is signal (any ideas why or how to remove this is welcome from the tube amp experts

I didn't have any expectations in terms of how it would perform, but was very very pleasantly surprised how it matched up to my DIY horn speakers.
Played it for a few hours, I could smell the amp as it heated up.

now, I connected the REL sub to the chain, (I am still using a stereo to mono Pro mixer to feed input into REL, not yet using the REL high level inputs)

so far, so good, the whole weekend I was listening this setup.

I think I am beginning to understand why Tube amps and Horn speakers are a pair, appreciate the combo, and experience the magic.

Its mighty impressive how low volume I can play, and still be very clear including the details.
Around 10% volume and above, the whole thing is magical.

its not the overly mushy sound signature that seems to be common perception / description of the tube sound, its rather quite good.

I am being tempted to see what it can do with better tubes.

So, any tube experts here ? looking for recommendations on 6N3 and EL84 tubes ?

Attachments

• Tube Amp 1.jpg
    Tube Amp 1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Tube Amp2.jpg
    Tube Amp2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 52
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back