Diy Speaker Plans - Driver availability?

johnnyaud

Hello folks!

Planning to build my first loudspeakers and It's quite hard to get the drivers you want in India. Is there any proved bookshelf speaker design that have the both drivers available to buy?
I've looked at some bookshelf plans but I can't find the woofer when tweeter is available and can't find tweeter when woofer is available. Quite a dilemma!

I found some old thread linking to some sources (Paul Carmody's CLASSIX II and AlTi were close to what I wanted to build) but driver availability is always the issue.

Both these drivers are available in India. Go through his blog for details, especially all the links under Design Documents.

This is where the vendors could help themselves considerably by hosting kit packages, etc. I've been looking for a few days for you, too, with the same sourcing problems. Found a lot of single-driver stuff you could do, but not what you seek.

SB has their own open-source kits that seem documented/supported widely but at the 2 places I know to look for India, save for one kit. The SB Bromo kit is as close as it's easy to find for me.

There's also a "Micro" kit pdf in their uploads section for a 4" driver, too. I can fwd a link to the (~4.8MB) pdf if anybody can't find it but don't dare upload.

Maybe HFV members might hatch your own ???

Attachments

• sb_home_scr.jpg
    sb_home_scr.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
  • bromo-main-rev.gif
    bromo-main-rev.gif
    190.2 KB · Views: 10
  • bromo-xover.gif
    bromo-xover.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 9
  • bromo-fr.gif
    bromo-fr.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 10
This is where the vendors could help themselves considerably by hosting kit packages, etc. I've been looking for a few days for you, too, with the same sourcing problems. Found a lot of single-driver stuff you could do, but not what you seek.

SB has their own open-source kits that seem documented/supported widely but at the 2 places I know to look for India, save for one kit. The SB Bromo kit is as close as it's easy to find for me.

There's also a "Micro" kit pdf in their uploads section for a 4" driver, too. I can fwd a link to the (~4.8MB) pdf if anybody can't find it but don't dare upload.

Maybe HFV members might hatch your own ???
While bromo is a really nice kit, it's out of my budget. I was thinking of around 30k for both speaker and amp. I've been looking forever for a kit on google. Diyaudiocart had the overnight sensation listed but it was out of stock, not much luck anywhere else that's why I decided to build my own cabinets and get the drivers.

While bromo is a really nice kit, it's out of my budget. I was thinking of around 30k for both speaker and amp. I've been looking forever for a kit on google. Diyaudiocart had the overnight sensation listed but it was out of stock, not much luck anywhere else that's why I decided to build my own cabinets and get the drivers.
Check for tabaq with tymphany 3.5” Full range drivers

Understood--thanks. Will keep looking. Opinions will vary on how to get started, but I'm thinking you could find an economical class D amp and then figure out how much is left for speakers and go from there.

OK, after more hours digging, I think the thing to do is check-out some of the music stores for monitors and see if you can listen to any. The Yamaha HS7 etc fit your budget and are powered, but might not be what you approve of. You can do worse just assembling parts, but there may also be better.

I was convinced this couldn't be so hard but, not being local, have found it more difficult than I'd thought possible.

Last edited:
OK, after more hours digging, I think the thing to do is check-out some of the music stores for monitors and see if you can listen to any. The Yamaha HS7 etc fit your budget and are powered, but might not be what you approve of. You can do worse just assembling parts, but there may also be better.

I was convinced this couldn't be so hard but, not being local, have found it more difficult than I'd thought possible.
I don't have any big music store close by where I can listen in. I'll look around online for now. I'll consider the Yamaha HS7.
I'm not in a hurry and can afford 1-2 months wait. If I can get the parts for some kit, I have a carpentry shop nearby where I can get the parts cut to length.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back