DIY:Speakers -Plan,Design,Materials ,Purchase,deploy and Enjoy

Audio_Freek

Hi Friends,

I got hit with a DIY fever today for no matter and still i don't know whether is really good or bad:),But i have decided to give a try ,If i succeed then i can manage to build some stuffs for my use and if i Fail then the experience could be used to Purchase or validate a good sounding speaker.

I knew there are lot of DIY guru's here, and i request them to share their ideas to this newbie.

First am Planning to Build a Center Speaker, and lets Discuss on design.

So am looking for a 100 v @8 Oms setup with a Dual Paper cone speakers accompanying Bright tweeter.

Specification:
Loud speakers 6''*2
Tweeter (Need to choose between Titanium or ribbon, or horn)

Accessories

Cabin -Should be in Rectangle:)as its normal
Crossovers- Best brand for 100 @ 8 Ohms
Sockets & Foam-Lets make it as last option to decide

ON First Go- or the suggestion

Cabin:

What is Type of Plywood is best for building speakers and where is really available in Bangalore/Chennai also information of Cost\Sq feet would be valube...

Please share your experience and we shall collect some interesting facts for Plywood until 8th August,2012 and finalize for the best then can move to Purchasing of Speakers and tweeter, so within 2 months of time we would get an rough idea on making the own speakers with best Quality.

Thanks in advance for your support

I built the Audax HT speakers( centre, front left and right) designed by Joe D'Appolito, do a web search you will find plenty of info. Great speakers.MDF inside, veneered plywood and solid timber baffles.

FinishedCenterModulaMTs016web.jpg

GeorgeO 's thread :http://www.hifivision.com/diy/21177-couple-threads-same-audax-ht-speakers-i-built.html

speaker veneering tutorial:
http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/audio/veneering.html

wipe on Polyurethane finish tutorial
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/141651-phaez-fire-my-1st-head-cab-build-11.html

Last edited:
Audio Freek,
Why you need two woofers and one tweeter?
Why you need a cabinet?

If it is the centre speaker which will play mid range, then why not having a full range driver on a plank of MDF or plywood? An open baffle basically is what I mean.

I am also trying to think what can be a problem, but can't find it. I think a plank with a Philips 8 inch full range will be cheap option to try. that driver cost below 400 rupees each. And an oval cut plywood or MDF with a small stand at bottom will not cost you more than 100 rupees.
You will have your easiest and cheapest DIY speaker for your centre. I think you will get quite clean, open sound upto 4KHz.

Think about it.

Last edited:
Audio Freek,
Why you need two woofers and one tweeter?
Why you need a cabinet?

If it is the centre speaker which will play mid range, then why not having a full range driver on a plank of MDF or plywood? An open baffle basically is what I mean.

I am also trying to think what can be a problem, but can't find it. I think a plank with a Philips 8 inch full range will be cheap option to try. that driver cost below 400 rupees each. And an oval cut plywood or MDF with a small stand at bottom will not cost you more than 100 rupees.
You will have your easiest and cheapest DIY speaker for your centre. I think you will get quite clean, open sound upto 4KHz.

Think about it.

Sumanta,

Thanks a lot for your valuable post:)

That's right there is no need for box, but i have following issues 1. Over dust will be accumulated in speaker i would care the speakers like a Baby:), second, it would (2)I cant use it for CRT monitor ,until other wise the Mid full range is Sealed One.More over,The Plywood info i asked may not work for center but could help me in future while building SUB:),As my Ultimate Aim is to build a Sub Challenging to SVS:yahoo:

Going for Two Full range is, Just a model(as all center has Min two Speakers with a tweeter),and nothing than it. Else it would look as BS

Going for Two Full range is, Just a model(as all center has Min two Speakers with a tweeter),and nothing than it. Else it would look as BS

I think two drivers normally are there to increase SPL of the speaker. may there be other reasons too.
I have my OB open, I love to see them as it is, naked.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back