DIY Speakers Transmission Line- Selecting drivers -

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
I am planning to build FS. To get rid of crossover, complications on cross over I decided to go for single fullrange driver of 6". I need views on following:

1 Are Car sepeakers (round, full range) like Pioneer, JBL, Infinity good to use to build FS?
2 Would this cause difference over using drivers like Peerless?
3 If RMS, DB, Freq range values are good then how much the difference in Sound Quality?
4 Not getting options full range speakers for 6" 25W from good brands? Any suggested model from Peerless?
5 How good are Philips speakers?
6. Any pointers to get good drivers from Hyderabad?

Other thing:
I am planning to design Transmission line speakers (TL). Want to know why TL are not made by reputed brands? What are pros and cons?

Last edited:
Hi all
I am planning to build FS. To get rid of crossover, complications on cross over I decided to go for single fullrange driver of 6". I need views on following:

1 Are Car sepeakers (round, full range) like Pioneer, JBL, Infinity good to use to build FS? Depends. But mostly, no.
2 Would this cause difference over using drivers like Peerless? Clarity, suitability for using with an enclosure.
3 If RMS, DB, Freq range values are good then how much the difference in Sound Quality? None of these define the clarity of the sound.
4 Not getting options full range speakers for 6" 25W from good brands? Any suggested model from Peerless? There was group buy for mark audio on this forum
5 How good are Philips speakers? Which Philips speaker?
6. Any pointers to get good drivers from Hyderabad?

Other thing:
I am planning to design Transmission line speakers (TL). Want to know why TL are not made by reputed brands? What are pros and cons?

Tl enclosures all other things being equal, tend to larger. Many high end manufacturers use tl.

My answers inline

I guess,you do have all the technical skill/subject knowledge at hand when you say you are planning to design a TL.So you should be in a position to tell us for your latter questions.:)

My opinion is, if you can get in touch with our FM, Hari Iyer, you got a gold mine. His Skills and his Brand is of Repute as far as I can understand.

single full range driver of 6"!!?
go for mark audio alpair 10.2/10.3
several MLTL designs are available free of cost
easy to build and sound great!

^^^
i second this fully

but this is your first build and you wanna go TL!
bold step

therefore follow a tried and tested design would be my advice

Thanks soundnovice !

Can you please tell me where can I find go for mark audio alpair 10.2/10.3
CanI order from India. Any idea abt price?

Thanks again

They are listed here and they do international shipping but do not handle customs/duties which I think you need to take care when it is charged by customs people and hand over the same to the courier guy or the other way around. Best thing would be you can book this thru the ishopinternational or aramex guys who will take care of everything including the customs till it reaches your doorstep.

Thanks

i have built a tl design by bob brines using alp 10.2
if u are interested in buying the speaker pm me.
thanks

I built a Bob Brines TL design using Fostex 167 drivers. I got them sourced from the US. Take a look at the Bob Brines site, he gives very detailed drawings and build instructions, anyone can do it.

whats your email? i mail you the pics. as for tuning, i havent got them right yet... just set them up the other day... soundnovice has a set of the same... he will be able to give u a better idea.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back