DIY Stereo Speakers & Upgrade of Phono set up.

amit46

I have done another DIY project building a new set of tower speakers consisting of MTM design with a sub-woofer ported design all in one enclosure.
The cross overs are home made. The drivers are from Peerless and JBL. I have cross over point for mid range driver at 250hz at the lower end and 4000hz for the high end. The sub woofers are driven separately by a car sub woofer amplifier lying at home for 10 years. The power supply for sub woofer amp is a 20 amp 12 volt LED smps driver easily available in the market. The sub woofer has an upper cross over point at 250hz as the 12 inch JBL drivers perform well up to 400hz beautifully with out breaking up.
Re-conditioned my Sony TA-AX5 stereo amplifier which is 34 years old.All the audio signal path capacitors were replaced by Nichicon fine gold range. The power supply capacitors were also replaced. Two ICs which were causing slight problems were replaced from UTsource.net a Singapore online store at 1/10th of the cost of E-bay sellers!!
The power amp of Sony TA-AX5 was replaced by a MOSFET 2x100 watts rms amplifier modules (DIY) using LME49830 ultra high fidelity drivers for the MOSFETs. The DIY pcb was from online store from Czech Republic. (audiomodule.eu).
The amplifier finally performed like a high end system with ultra low noise input and output.

The Sony PS-LX55 linear tracking turntable tone arm belt was replaced from ebay UK by the same size of Sony X-box play station.
All moving parts were cleaned and oiled with silicon lubricant. Power supply capacitor were replaced in the entire circuits. Finally the P-mount Sony NSG-250 mm cartridge was replaced by Audio Technica AT-92E with excellent results.
The Pioneer Graphic Equalizer was re-conditioned with new Nichicon Fine gold capacitors and it performed absolutely terrific with high grade audio signal transfer.
All my LPs were cleaned with Armorall Glass cleaner which is ammonia free and ultra fine lint less towels (Armorall)which are easily available. Also some Lps were first cleaned with WD-40 a wonder cleaner. It does miracles. No need to buy fancy and expensive record cleaners.
Bought carbon fiber stylus cleaning brush and liquid online from ebay.com
My system now performs just like any high end from the markets.
The speakers performed flawlessly at flat response. I am using only my amplifiers as there is no use of the graph equalizer.
The sound stage and stereo imaging is excellent and all my Lps are pop and crackle free just like mint condition!!:clapping:

Attachments

• Inductor winding Jig.jpg
    Inductor winding Jig.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Assembled x-overs.jpg
    Assembled x-overs.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 209
  • Speaker enclosures.jpg
    Speaker enclosures.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 210
  • My stereo system.jpg
    My stereo system.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Testing play back.jpg
    Testing play back.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 209
The midrange driver is 5.25 inch M13NH Peerless Fabrikkerne
The tweeter driver is 25mm silk dome TL25SN Peerless Fabrikkerne
They are available from diyaudiocart.com online.
Cross over capacitors also from diyaudiocart.com.
Use Erse 3-way Calculator online,.Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley designs are good.
I used Linkwitz-Riley one for flatter response.
Midrange is reverse polarity.

Superb effort Amit. Brilliant ways of DIYs! Kudos.
I have no clue about armaroll or wd40, so further detail will help me. Like what are their product name if names are not the one I should actually be asking for, please give us kind of shops that these are available.

Overall, am very happy in your efforts and successes. Carry on. enjoying DIY.

Also some Lps were first cleaned with WD-40 a wonder cleaner. It does miracles. No need to buy fancy and expensive record cleaners.

There is a lot of warning on the net against the use of WD-40. Do be careful. There is actually no need to buy expensive cleaners. A 1:4 mixture of iso propyl alcohol (IPA) and demineralised (DM) water is widely advised. You can find it suggested on this forum as well. These should be available at lab chemical or hospital suppliers shops.

The midrange driver is 5.25 inch M13NH Peerless Fabrikkerne
The tweeter driver is 25mm silk dome TL25SN Peerless Fabrikkerne
They are available from diyaudiocart.com online.
Cross over capacitors also from diyaudiocart.com.
Use Erse 3-way Calculator online,.Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley designs are good.
I used Linkwitz-Riley one for flatter response.
Midrange is reverse polarity.

How is the impedance adjusted for tweeter?

amit46,
Very nice speaker Build.
Do not use any chemicals to clean LPs. They react with plasticizers of vinyl compound and damage records. A little bit of Iso Propyl Alcohol and distilled water is enough.
Regards.

Superb effort Amit. Brilliant ways of DIYs! Kudos.
I have no clue about armaroll or wd40, so further detail will help me. Like what are their product name if names are not the one I should actually be asking for, please give us kind of shops that these are available.

Overall, am very happy in your efforts and successes. Carry on. enjoying DIY.

Thanks bro....you are also a great DIY it makes one feel happy when you do it yourself and the system out plays a 10 lakh rig from the market!!
I had refurbished linear tracking turntable, Sony amp, Pioneer Graphic equaliser and am using Audio technica AT3003 studio reference series MM cartridge with dual cut elliptical stylus.
Have a good day!

Thanks bro....you are also a great DIY it makes one feel happy when you do it yourself and the system out plays a 10 lakh rig from the market!!
I had refurbished linear tracking turntable, Sony amp, Pioneer Graphic equaliser and am using Audio technica AT3003 studio reference series MM cartridge with dual cut elliptical stylus.
Have a good day!
WD40 is available at most Hardware stores. Armorall cleaner is available online on most of the sellers.
Also you could make some distilled water at home and add 1/3rd Iso-Prop Alcohol and a drop of high quality shampoo without conditioner. I am using Baby Johnson shampoo. This is very import because shampoo will act as a spreading agent. I made 500ml of distilled water at home and made this LP cleaner...works better than any stuff in the market.

amit46,
Very nice speaker Build.
Do not use any chemicals to clean LPs. They react with plasticizers of vinyl compound and damage records. A little bit of Iso Propyl Alcohol and distilled water is enough.
Regards.

WD 40 is safe stuff...it will remove all the old and clogged stuff from the vinyl and once you wipe it off with a micro fine towel your LP will look like mint condition. This I used for my old LPs which are more than 30 years old.
Yes I am also using my home made distilled water + Iso Prop Alcohol + a drop of baby shampoo!!
Thanks

WD40 is available at most Hardware stores. Armorall cleaner is available online on most of the sellers.
Also you could make some distilled water at home and add 1/3rd Iso-Prop Alcohol and a drop of high quality shampoo without conditioner. I am using Baby Johnson shampoo. This is very import because shampoo will act as a spreading agent. I made 500ml of distilled water at home and made this LP cleaner...works better than any stuff in the market.

I do use IPA, hand wash mostly for mass cleaning of LPs. I also Colin (only) at times.

I do use slime (a latest craze among kids) for fast cleaning before playing. Water content in slime need to be crucially checked before applying though.
Slime, wonderfully takes away dirt from groove without keeping itself there.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back