Diy subwoofer in KERALA

krishtrinity

Can someone from Kerala with good experience in building a DIY subwoofer build me a subwoofer,love to do it myself but with no electronic related experience not taking the risk,i can provide all the required parts as well as the enclosure.I want to keep the budget under 10k,i am done looking for a subwoofer because the only ones i could find here are overpriced subwoofers

The budget: You have three large expensive areas here.
The driver ( 10 to 15 K at least !.......for a really good driver)
The box ( possibly 2K at least ?) depends on many factors including final appearance.
The power amp: A plate amp or regular boxed amp. 4K and more ?
Plate amps start around Rs 7K to 15 K on Partsxpress.com

I see a powered sub for Rs 18 K on ebay.in ! Reviewed by some Indian hi-fi mags. Check it out.

eBay

If you can get it ready made and it is only slightly more expensive than building it yourself, unless you have a very valid reason to go the DIY route, you better buy it ready made.

Building a good sub for under Rs 10K is probably going to be really tough unless you get many things for free ! :)
Check the free-giveaway thread ! You never know......:)

Last edited:
I have to agree with Fantastic on this one. I suggest you up your budget and phase out the purchase so that you don't feel the pinch too much. One you have a good sub you can keep it indefinitely. You just cant expect to get anything decent for 10K not even a good used subwoofer driver..

Take a look at a tapped horn sub that I built on the DIY thread. If you can get the driver from the US you could look at building to a budget, but plate amp will cost you a bit.

No,you can get the parts for 10000 from diyadiocart,peerless 12 inch driver is only near 2000,enclosure can be build too

I made myself a active subwoofer using Rockford fosgate driver(car 12'' subwoofer 150W) in downfire configuration using MONO Toshiba 2SA1943 / 2SC5200 150W amplifier running through 50-0-50 (5 Amp) with auxiliary 15-0-15(1 Amp ) transformer and using this DIY Dual NE5532 Subwoofer Processing Circuit Low Pass Filter Circuit Board Kit - Blue - Free Shipping - DealExtreme Low pass filter.

i also have Wintek - 200W Mono (2SA1943 / 2SC5200) but its 200W at 8 ohm and mostly car sub woofer is of 2 or 4 ohm in my case its 4 ohm so its over powered for my sub woofer.

I bought my 150W amp from a guy from Kerala and he also custom made that transformer for me.

apart from that i am using 2 more circuit board build myself.

1.) A realy circuit to switch the output to the Driver from amp on and off to delay instant on and off of subwoofer to save driver from initial and post-off surge(without this circuit subwoofer have powerful thud sound as soon as you power it up and turn it off from mains).

2.) I found a circuit from internet and after little modification build a circuit which automatically cut power to the transformer and put subwoofer in Stand-By mode if there is no audio signal for 1 -2 minutes and restore it to on as soon as audio signal is back. To power this circuit i am using cheap 12 volt 500 mah SMPS board ( commonly found with LED strip lights) the power light turn to red when subwoofer is in stand-by mode and white when its on.

The body/cabinet of subwoofer is home made wooden (its very heavy even without anything installed) with 3 inch flare port.

the subwoofer sounds damn good. and i think its good looking too.
the only problem i am facing right now is that other wooden furniture specially racks mostly have thin plywood at backside and this thin plywood and glass sheets in windows and furniture rattles with subwoofer. so mostly i put it below medium volume level fortunately its more that enough.
Some Outside pics
2uz3uqo.jpg

igalub.jpg

2dh9ueg.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that is a great looking sub,wish I could build a sub that,my monitor audio speakers are capable of only 90hz and above

Thanks for liking it. yes you can i was even not in a mood when i start building it.
if you go with these plate amplifiers that will be even more easier to do as you dont have take care of the issues like ground loop humming, amp-transformer mis matching,proper heat-sinking and many more things but that'll result in busy/ugly looking backside which i dont want so i choose harder way and result is only thing one can see on sub woofer is Port and volume knob every other thing is hidden not even power and audio-in plug is visible from any side front or back.if i rotate it front side back its just a stool.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back