DIY: Terminating the Chord Silver Screen Cable

vasishta.sushant

I bought this speaker cable not so long ago but couldn't use it since it was bought loose and came unterminated. Since this is a good cable (and quite costly), I didn't want to use it as it is and wanted to terminate the ends with some banana plugs. The Chord original termination costs more than twice the cable itself so thought of trying it out myself.

Wasn't too tough, if you ask me. All you need is few banana plugs (bought over ebay), some shrink tubing (bought from partsconnexion.com) and a little DIY instinct.

I'll just post few pics which will explain the whole thing. Lemme know if you have any questions.

The Chord Silver Screen Speaker Cable that I got loose can be seen in the following pic.
SilverScreen.jpg

It really is a very thick cable. Just to put it in perspective, you can imagine a 15Amp power cable which is normally used in the ACs.
ThickEnd.jpg

Have a look at the shrink tubing as well:
withShrinkTubing.jpg

I just removed the sheathing at the ends to bare some wire for termination. In the pic you can see the silver foil being removed.
RemovingSilverFoil.jpg

After removing the silver foil, the ends would look like this:
FoilRemoved.jpg

The final stripped end look would like this:
StrippedEnd.jpg

I already had the nakamichi banana plugs which I used for this DIY effort:
OldBnanaPlugs.jpg

The next few steps were to cut out the required pieces of the shrink tubing and place them over the required location.
Shrinktubeplaced.jpg

After this was done, it was time to heat up the tubing to let it settle down. I didn't have any hair dryer (which is the best bet for this kind of job) so I started with a matchstick to heat this thing up. Although it worked, I was left with black residue over the surface. Wasn't as pleasing.
BadFix.jpg

Later I improvised and did it over the gas stove. Although heat was too much, it was all clean without any residue. The final thing is very fine, as seen in the following pic.

FianlTouch.jpg

For the people who would want to go for a similar termination, I'd advice you to learn from my mistakes (Hydra, you listening fella ???).
1) Don't use the matchstick. Get a hair dryer if possible.
2) The shrink tubing is very sensitive to heat. Do the whole thing very slowly or it'd settle down at wrong places (e.g. in the last pic, you can see that the tubing is not symmetric since it settled before I could move it to the right position).

@ vasishta.sushant Please post the direct link to page where this is avaialble , I am finding it hard to locate on the site. Also what was INR cost to you ?

Thanks in Advance.

@ vasishta.sushant

What is the size of the tubing which you bought and how much length is required for fixing one pair of plugs?

Thanks Sushant for the nice DIY post.

Can we get the shrink tubing and Banana plug in india(SP Road, Bangalore)? I have the same Silver screen cable, and i want to terminate it.

I searched hard for the Shrink tubing here but could only find them on ebay. They did cost a bomb so thought of buying them directly from the store I mentioned.

Since they sell in minimum 1ft denomination, I had to buy a lot more than what was needed. I used like 20% of what I ordered.

Shrink tubing is available here in Ritchie Street in Chennai. So I am sure it is available in your local electronics street.

Cheers

Nice job! The final result is much cleaner than you make it out to be :)

I'll give this a try as soon as the shop here has stock of heat-shrink.

Neat looking job, but I think you circumcised too much of the shielding... easy with the scalpel :eek:hyeah:

-G0bble
:)

Damn. I wish I could find one locally. I guess I was too desperate to finish this project so ordered it. But I guess I am fine with this thing.

Don't worry!! :clapping:

If you have spend so much on shrink tubing then it will definitely improve the SQ. Hopefully it will develop magical properties of canceling EMI and RF and improve the quality of the signal transmission by performing electrical bridging on micro-scale and by converting the external magnetic field close to the conductors into an electrical signal once again to send a cleaner signal to speakers with higher bandwidth than before... besides banishing the curse of oxidation from influencing the matched crystalline structure of the high purity copper conductor and providing some rugged protection from exposure to Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) elements "Yeeeeeaaaah!"<sucks in breath> :eek:hyeah:

Think about it - you can now enjoy sheer undiluted musical bliss even when our nation is under a Nuclear Biological and Chemical attack from an enemy state!! :eek:hyeah: ;) :rolleyes:

Local market quality shrink tubing will not provide all these benefits :rolleyes:

--G0bble
:)

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back